House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris25

Are Brits Obssesed With Animals But Not People?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371103/Japan-nuclear-mans-land-Only-living-things-left-Fukushima-exclusion-zone.html

Most recommended comments:

Is there an organisation to help these animals there? That poor cow tied up can't even roam for food!

- stud muffin, Hemel Hempstead, 29/3/2011 13:50

Click to rate Rating 523

Report abuse

These animals cannot be left like this! The Japanese Government has to take responsibility if residents won't and can't. This is cruelty that cannot be condoned for any reason whatsoever.

- Tallulah, Hove, UK, 29/3/2011 15:30

Click to rate Rating 405

Report abuse

They need to get these animals out! NOW!

- Vinnie, Norwich, 29/3/2011 16:20

Click to rate Rating 342

Report abuse

With respect to the cows. Perhaps our brave boys in blue (plod) can fly over there and shoot them dead as that is what they seem to excel at. It is cruel to abandon cows in their pens, as they will soon run out of fodder and water. Moreover, milch cows need milking or will die an excrutiating death.

- Zorro, UK, 29/3/2011 13:58

Click to rate Rating 325

Report abuse

how can Japan abandon these animals... surely they need to step in and help move these/relocate animals... its not right they've been left with no food and water.

- selfish-people, london, 29/3/2011 13:20

Click to rate Rating 317

Report abuse

Mike Roberts, Stevenage... If only we could all be as selectively caring as you. I care about the suffering of humans and animals. Yes, it's terrible what is happening to the people affected by this but it doesn't mean the animals should be left to die slowly.

- David, Glasgow, UK, 29/3/2011 15:40

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371103/Japan-nuclear-mans-land-Only-living-things-left-Fukushima-exclusion-zone.html#ixzz1I1PpRgWY

Perhaps i am just a sub human b'stard, but why is it comments supporting some cow (which would have inevitably got killed for meat anyway)get recommendations, yet there is little support in comments for the mass human death, misery and destruction caused?

Can you imagine having to flee your home, after many of your friends and family have been killed, potentially to never return there again (if the plant goes POP)? Yet the comments on this article couldn't give a sh%t about it.

I have noticed this animal-loving, human-hating trend a lot on Daily Mail articles and other websites. Is it a reflection of the way society is going, or just a few vocal nutters?

I suppose it's because generally animals are very nice things, whereas people are significantly less so. Ok so the Japan situation is not really a fair comparison as the cow would have been eaten anyway, but given a choice between spending a day with the general public, or a pack of puppies, I know which I'd rather do!

I have sign on my office it reads 'The more people I meet, the more I like my dog"

Plus, there aren't really any evil/bad animals, they all start off as happy little things, but it's us humans that turn them. No such thing as a bad dog, just a bad owner!

I have noticed this animal-loving, human-hating trend a lot on Daily Mail articles and other websites. Is it a reflection of the way society is going, or just a few vocal nutters?

We have the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, but only the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, and that tells you all you need to know.

We have the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, but only the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, and that tells you all you need to know.

They both used to be "royal". But at some point that wasn't considered good enough for the sprogs.

Perhaps i am just a sub human b'stard, but why is it comments supporting some cow (which would have inevitably got killed for meat anyway)get recommendations, yet there is little support in comments for the mass human death, misery and destruction caused?

I expect if there were evidence of humans being held in a cage with no access to food or water people would find that upsetting too.

I expect if there were evidence of humans being held in a cage with no access to food or water people would find that upsetting too.

......unless they were former liebour leaders and then I suspect that people would que up to throw rotten fruit at them.

There is another story about a Brit, his wife and baby that have not taken the offer of being evacuated because they dont want to leave their poodle. They live close to the fukushima plant but are at a relief center 100k's away for now.

What a pr1k! He has a child to consider but would stay in a relief center struggling with a baby and facing unknown radiation and risks for a poodle. I like dogs but when it comes to the life of your child and the responsibility that comes with that then the dog doesnt count. I would have put it down and taken the flight out.

To borrow from a Terry Pratchett book animals can kill but only humans can murder. They're frankly less obnoxious. Anyway, if you look at it really broadly the division between "humans" and "animals" is really rather absurd; it's no different from the one between otters and all other species.

Hey, you calling Riedquat a nutter?

Anyway, if you look at it really broadly the division between "humans" and "animals" is really rather absurd; it's no different from the one between otters and all other species.

Hey, you calling Riedquat a nutter?

I'm not one of those veggy, ignore the knocked down kid on my way to rescue a kitten from a tree types, I just thought I'd throw those statements in to see what happens. IMO they're rather hard to rationally argue against but what, if anything, they imply might be interesting. Anyway, anyone who choses a name from a 25-year old computer game is probably a bit of a nutter.

I suppose it's because generally animals are very nice things, whereas people are significantly less so. Ok so the Japan situation is not really a fair comparison as the cow would have been eaten anyway, but given a choice between spending a day with the general public, or a pack of puppies, I know which I'd rather do!

I have sign on my office it reads 'The more people I meet, the more I like my dog"

Plus, there aren't really any evil/bad animals, they all start off as happy little things, but it's us humans that turn them. No such thing as a bad dog, just a bad owner!

Actually I totally agree.

If you think about the people who make your life miserable- the boss, colleagues, politicians, your next door neighbour yob playing loud music, the traffic warden, bankers, chavs, the health and safety director etc etc they are all people.

I think this is also why people worship objects. Some are obsessive about their cars, some about their gadgets, others their houses. It is just escapism from "people".

Alex Jones did an interesting video on this about calling it "dehumanization". I guess in someways he is right. The system has "dehumanized" us so much we have become obsessed with material items and "things" rather than people.

To borrow from a Terry Pratchett book animals can kill but only humans can murder. They're frankly less obnoxious. Anyway, if you look at it really broadly the division between "humans" and "animals" is really rather absurd; it's no different from the one between otters and all other species.

I've never been attacked by a pi$$ed otter. If you think about it for 10 minutes, the reason for the observation made by the OP is in that single sentence!

A bit confused, surely? If animals can't murder it's because they have no soul. I'll grant animals equality the day they compose music.

I like dogs, but find other people's enthusiasm verging on love is based on sentimentality, which is false. As for people who attack others over animal cruelty, I understand their outrage but suspect they're psychopaths.

A bit confused, surely? If animals can't murder it's because they have no soul. I'll grant animals equality the day they compose music.

They can't murder because they've no alternative to simply following instinct, and have no way of knowing better. I've never found any reason to think that there is such a thing as a soul.

I like dogs, but find other people's enthusiasm verging on love is based on sentimentality, which is false. As for people who attack others over animal cruelty, I understand their outrage but suspect they're psychopaths.

No reason why it should be much different from feelings towards another person, to be honest. It's sentimentality if it's directed towards an entire species, but not if it's a pet. I'd get very upset if someone killed my pet (if I had one), far more so than when I hear about random people killing each other on the other side of the world, and most people are the same. The difference is entirely down to species and capability, and the differences between a human and a dog are no more significant than the differences between a porpoise and an aardvark.

You're probably right about animal rights nutters though.

They can't murder because they've no alternative to simply following instinct, and have no way of knowing better. I've never found any reason to think that there is such a thing as a soul.

No reason why it should be much different from feelings towards another person, to be honest. It's sentimentality if it's directed towards an entire species, but not if it's a pet. I'd get very upset if someone killed my pet (if I had one), far more so than when I hear about random people killing each other on the other side of the world, and most people are the same. The difference is entirely down to species and capability, and the differences between a human and a dog are no more significant than the differences between a porpoise and an aardvark.

You're probably right about animal rights nutters though.

The soul is another way of referring to freewill. Ancient debate.

I guess feelings about pets are to do with familiarity and habit. When I was a child a few pet dogs of ours were killed on the road, every one a deep tragedy! I don't really know what to think about people's reactions. Interesting to hear more considered views than mine.

On the animal rights people - as far as I recall, the original animal rights guy was Humanity Dick Martin. His hunting dogs were shot by a personal enemy. Martin challenged him to a duel and killed him. That's humanity for ya!

A lot of brits are complete hypocrites when it comes to animals. They tell you how much they love their pet, moddle-coddle it in a ridiculous fashion but not give a thought to the thousands of animals that come, churned up, in the cans of pet food they open every day. Out of sight, out of mind. Then they look at people who eat offel and things like chicken feet or pigs' ears as savages. Surely the best honour to pay a slaughtered animal is to eat and enjoy it all. Not that I approve of vegetarianism. How do vegetarians think milk and milk products are produced? What would they prefer, that calves are slaughtered and incinerated rather than eaten???

To my mind, having a pet is not a philzoaic act but an act of selfish indulgence. Pets are easy, non-judgmental sources of affection. All pets ask for is food, just don't think about what you are feeding them...

True, though to be fair, I've heard a lot about people from Wales who try to create a hybrid..

No need to be jealous.

If that's what interests you,

We've got plenty to spare!