House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

A Visit To The Home Town

I visited the home town in the Midlands for a quick visit yesterday (a family celebration), and was surprised by certain findings - I now live in London and have been in the south-east for nearly 10 years.

The first surprise was when I popped into a bar for a coffee. Plenty of folk were already starting to drink at 1.45pm. Ok so this probably happens in London establishments. But then a local "hard nut" complete with facial tattoos came in for his pint. Just who is going to employ him or his peer group? I'm not saying this type don't exist in London (where all under the sun is found) but they seem more prevalent in mundane English towns.

Later, looking around at some day-to-day prices, it seemed as though I'd come from a cheap place to the more expensive option. I can get a good coffee in lots of London cafes (some Portuguese or Turkish, others indeterminate) for around 1.50 if I avoid the Starclucks variety, but in the Midlands town it seemed that £2 was the going rate. The local bus services seemed to start at 1.50 whereas I pay 1.20 a go in London. On the other hand, the main thing that was a lot cheaper was booze. I saw quite a few pubs offering beer at round 2.40 a pint and some with those bottle deals at £1.20 a drink!

House prices seemed far too expensive - I won't bore you with details here, to be honest I couldn't bear`looking at them for long - and I suspect it's just within the London commuting area. But I get the feeling that those in decent property aren't looking to move on again, and so prices are relatively inelastic.

The biggest surprise? I met people who lived all their lives in a non-descript town, and who had no desire (or need) to change location. Perhaps this is a good thing, but it's not for me.

I'd imagine London can be cheaper for certain things... there is more competition and or course London is the mostly heavily subsidised area in terms of public spending in the whole UK...

I'd imagine London can be cheaper for certain things... there is more competition and or course London is the mostly heavily subsidised area in terms of public spending in the whole UK...

Very true. In the home counties and provincial towns there is less competition and volume than in London. So you usually end up paying a bigger share of the overheads per item, and lower competition means vendors have more pricing power