House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ReadingRabbit

Estate Agents Reviews

Mods: Please move this if it is not appropriate for this forum

Came across this site which lets you review and add comments about your experiences with estate agents. I am sure our fellow HPCer's would like to add their bit about their personal experiences (these comments are read by prospective sellers/buyers/renters etc)B)

http://www.allagents.co.uk

========================

Some of the comments/reviews seem to be very 'enlightening' :lol: and also show the mentality of the EA's during boom years.:rolleyes:

Reviewed by Notimpressed on 24th February 2011

Services: Lettings (as a Tenant)

Experience: Would you use the agent again? No

IP address: JXQ.9QQ.93R.9VB

1a.gif

Branch: Lower Earley

If Carlsberg made the worst estate agents of all time it would be this bunch of money grabbing time wasters.

Their fees are extortionate, there services are terrible, and their viewing system is an absolute joke. They have no customer focus. All they see you as is another bag of money.

If that's what you want from your lettings agent then go ahead choose Romans. If you want a estate agent who wants to look after you, go somewhere else!

Reviewed by 1st_time on 16th December 2009

Services: Sales (Prospective customer)

IP address: 9QX.JVJ.9QX.9E3

1a.gif

Put an offer in, accepted, but lost out to another offer. Had a rude telephone call telling me this from the Reading office, followed by an even ruder letter, which gave me the distinct impression that they viewed me as the lowest form of life. I'm a 1st time buyer with a large deposit, no chain, can move quickly or slowly depending on others - you would have thought desirable, no?? My pickyness - wanting a property with a functioning roof for example, was mocked - I should apparently go for the 1st property I viewed, irrespective of condition, price or fit to my requirements, and I should accept their recommendations on mortgages, & conveyancing (which took 6 emails to cancel!) without query. They also phone me daily, and keep emailing me details of properties I've already said I've no interest in - I don't want a bedsit / studio apartment thanks, nor do I want to move to an entirely different town to the one I'm house hunting in... In short, AVOID

Would be nice if our fellow HPCer's could find the EA's in their areas on that site and chip in some honest comments on these hard working and dedicated 'profesisonals'

Done!

When we moved out of our rented property. The estate agent demanded our bond.

On our original 'inventory of condition' , the Estate Agent [Reeds Rains] was stupid enough to list the same existing damages as he did on the 'Moving out' report.

I informed Reeds Rains of this. I pointed out to them that the moving out report, of damages they had listed were on the original inventory of condition when i moved in.

They still demanded the money.

So I complained to the TDS.

They then, unbelievably, changed the damages to a whole new list of damages, in a further attempt to steal my bond from me adding, additional fictitious damages, amounting to claim hundreds of pounds more than my bond, and sent that list to the TDS.

I realised they had done this, as the TDS are obliged to send a copy of the Estate Agents correspondence to me, and so, I sent the TDS the moving out report, the estate agent had sent me, along with the original inventory of condition upon moving in. Which both listed the same damages.

[And of course the moving out report they had sent me, was completely different to the one the EA sent the TDS]

The TDS then dismissed Reeds Rains claim.

Believe me when I tell you this was the tip of iceberg with Reeds Rains.

Estate Agents and Landlords are, in the majority, thieving b@5tards, who almost expect to receive your bond, almost as a matter of course.......

The industry is completely unregulated. Charlatans, Sharks, Sharp Practice, are par for the course.

For Instance, during the dispute, Reeds Rains, were constantly quoting and sending me regulations, in .pdf's and letters, saying they said they had to abide by, from the Association of Residential Letting Agents.

It then transpired that they were not even members of the ARL!

I informed the ARL, who did not give a monkeys that an EA was fraudulently pretending to be part of their organisation.

[All the numbers of the residential governing bodies, were basically the same area code, as the NAEA. Which made me wonder about the affiliations]

I could go on and on about their many many incompetences.....I.E arranging to meet me for a three monthly viewing, then not turning up. Costing me a day off work. [im not having them sneaking round my drawers when I am not in] happened on more than one occasion.

Workmen turning up, unnanounced and uninvited which is against terms. And actually damaging the property then leaving. [Woke up one morning, opened my curtains. Man on ladders, with sander. Stripped all windows of paint. On some wooden windows, left a gap between glass and wooden frame. Never came back to reseal! Complete cowboys. Informed RR. No response.

The most gauling thing, is that the TDS can only resolve disputes over bonds.

And the Estate Agents will continue to behave in this way.

I should have sent them an invoice for wasting my time, and admin costs of correspondence as well. After I won the TDS case.

As they know the average renter has no recourse, except a private prosecution, which frankly who can afford the time effort and money?

STAY WELL CLEAR

I imagine this will still be happening, and they will get away with it regularly.

Edited by Dan1

I get EAs expecting me to pay 400K and in the same breath tell me that I can do it up.

I have not been able to work out whether they think I am stupid and rich or whether they themselves are just stupid and ignorant of economics.

I rented an upmarket apartment from a housebuilder/landlord some time back.

He nicked my bond as well.

He sent me a letter when I had moved out, telling me that he was keeping my bond 0f £600 as he had to pay some removal men to take out the washing machine and oven which I had left. [Even though I know, he got a couple of lads who work for him to remove them.]

So I called him, and told him that the washing machine and gas oven were his, as they had been there when I moved in!!!!

He ummed and ahhed. He had obviously forgotten this.

I then called a few weeks later, after still not recieving my bond back. No response. I then bumped into my old neighbour who informed me that he had sold those flats to a distant family member of his who lived in Spain..............

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also had someone else in another place I rented who told me they would give me my bond back, at the final inspection.

We both walked round the house and it was bloody spotless.

Far Far superior condition to when I moved in. Weeks later they only sent me half back, as they said they needed to pay someone to weed the garden!!

When I told them that the garden was their responsibility as part of the original contract, they said, yes, but you said you didnt mind taking care of it.

Which me and my bro only did, at the beginning of the tenancy out of kindness, as they were quite old....

And even though there were weeds, overall, it was in very good nick. We put a lot of hours in. I even stripped the massive rusty double gate one summer, ground it down, and repainted it for them.

And I paid for all the rustproof paint etc!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What f@rks me off more than anything else though is that if Brown had stuck to his 1997 promise of not letting house prices get out of control. I would have got a house years ago, and paid off a large chunk of the mortgage.

Instead they are stealing my money to bail out the banks to pay to keep others houses massively overinflated, and making sure I have to keep working to pay huge amounts of rent to scumbags, for their mortgage and retirement. Working for nothing. No capital. Ive rented from landlords who openly admit that they fraudulently borrowed to buy more and more houses, and were shocked they could get away with it.

From banks that people who do not own property have been forced to bail out. These guys dont have to work. Fraud is rewarded in this country. Hard Work, frugality, sense and decency spat on and punished.

And no-one in government gives a flying f@ck.

Its truly awful feeling as though you have nothing to offer. Working for nothing. No capital. I honestly believe my life would be much much different to the sh1tty debt slave existence it is, if those bastards in government had been competent. And did not continue to support this theft. And still it continues...................

They just dont get it or care. Soul destroying shitty thieving country. Well Ive had enough. I am not working my **** off for another ten years for nothing. No chance

Edited by Dan1

One of the agency(Prospect Estate Agents) I am dealing with - the EA is always suggesting that I stretch myself and borrow more in order to get nice and bigger properties. Today I asked 'why dont you ask those vendors to drop their prices' to which he didnt had any answer :rolleyes:

One of the agency(Prospect Estate Agents) I am dealing with - the EA is always suggesting that I stretch myself and borrow more in order to get nice and bigger properties. Today I asked 'why dont you ask those vendors to drop their prices' to which he didnt had any answer :rolleyes:

Prospect, Romans & Haslams are just vermin. I will not even look at any houses they list as their pricing is so ridiculous. The only reasonable agent in the Reading area seems to be Davis Tate. I get the impression that they are reasonably careful about the properties they take on.

Review of Phillip James Partnership (which I can confirm as me and Mrs JFK rented via these tw@ts a few years ago - the most incompetent ripping off c*nts in existence).....

Reviewed by JackDaw1 on 10th November 2010

Services: Sales (Prospective customer)

IP address: S9N.S5L.UUL.TDN

Terrible

Branch: Didsbury

This being a buyers market, I have been offering around 10 % under the asking price on properties. Not that I expect anyone to agree to this (or if they did I would be upset that I didn't offer 15 % under!), but a good place to start I thought.

Not for the good people at PJP. They have actually refused to let me see anymore properties because I have tried this tactic! That's right, they actually will not let me see anymore properties because I have tried (on 2 occasions only) to put in a cheeky offer. Madness! Sellers beware.

The comments on the website do provide interesting insights:

1]. Any potential sellers need to be aware of some EA's charging fixed fees (ie. fees based on the initial valuation) so that even if the actual sale price is lower, the seller will stay pay the fees based on initial valuation. Going through website it seems Haart gets the crown of being the worst agency in UK. More about Haart at this link http://www.allagents.co.uk/haart/

2]. Marketing property till the very last day (encouraging gazumping)

Please do leave your comments as they will be useful for others.

Prospect, Romans & Haslams are just vermin. I will not even look at any houses they list as their pricing is so ridiculous. The only reasonable agent in the Reading area seems to be Davis Tate. I get the impression that they are reasonably careful about the properties they take on.

I disagree - all the estate agents are same. Here is how Davis Tate price their properties:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33245321.html

300K for a complete dump (according to their own words) :rolleyes:

Fantastic site idea, I've added my twopenneth!!

Exposed our local agent who told me a west facing garden was south facing....the sea was a giveaway. Apparently west is the new south - his words not mine!!??