House Price Crash Forum
tahoma

Aspirational Seller

I present two houses to the board, brothers in fact. They share a wall.

This one has been on the market for I think nearly 2 years, the price has dropped from £170K to £156K in that time.

So, the left hand side neighbour with a mirror house, wants to sell theirs too. What do they do - aggressively undercut the existing seller to get a quick sale, reflecting market conditions?

Er, no.

Jesus wept.

Edited by tahoma

This one has been on the market for I think nearly 2 years, the price has dropped from £170K to £156K in that time.

So, the left hand side neighbour with a mirror house, wants to sell theirs too. What do they do - aggressively undercut the existing seller to get a quick sale, reflecting market conditions?

Er, no.

Jesus wept.

That would be hilarious if not so annoying. Go visit and ask them why it is so much more.

I was just looking at a house that came on the market this week - can't afford that price range but the info is similar.

House, completely modernised and very well done, on market for 2 years at 400K eventually sold in Jan for 315K.

This week house opposite which is knackered, run-down and a mess in a less attractive corner plot comes on for 330K asking.

Decoration wise I prefer the one for 156k too!

Ditto. It has listings from multiple agents, looking at all the photos the £156K one is decorated to a high standard.

Then look at the kitchen in the £175K job - pants. What are they thinking?

The 175K one has some kind of animals living in the back garden. Chickens? Rabbits? Yetis?

More expensive one looks like it might have a slightly bigger extension out the back.

Vendor probably thinks that makes theirs "worth" more than what their neighbour values their own place at.

Agents Note

There is a Portakabin available, under separate negotiation with heating and lighting.

That's gotta be worth an extra £20k right there.

Two semis next to each other for sale on my road (although they are not the same building - the other halfs if you get my meaning). Identical. Both on for 140K until two months ago when one dropped to 135K. Bet that pleased the neighbour! Neither selling though.

Edited by rantnrave

Er, no.

Jesus wept.

I think you should count how many vases with twigs there are in the second house before you jump to any conclusions

Edited by pajd

Original seller paid the costs for the friendly neighbour to put theirs up for sale to make theirs look a bargain ?

quite likely they would share the cost if first seller argued that putting his down in price would effect the second house as well. good idea if it's what they did. I wonder if anyone has ever had an angry neighbour knock on their door because they didn't like them dropping their asking price. Can imagine it ruining communities.

Same thing is happening round were we live.

Georgian semi sold for £450k about a year ago. The other half of the semi just come on the market at £585k!

Identical houses in every way and the same agent too. Makes no sense.

Edited by Wad

There must be something in the water at William H Brown..

these are not identical but all on the same development

this one has been on a while, reduced a couple of times, bit dated but I've seen worse..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-18076773.html?premiumA=true

this one came on a few weeks ago, slightly bigger, nicer inside, sold less than a year ago for 210K..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33028628.html

then this one came on within the last three days, bought in August 2007 for 197K..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33306830.html

:lol:

There must be something in the water at William H Brown.

You are clearly ignoring the Holmfirth 'old man rolling down a hill in a tyre, or something' premium.

Back to Estate Agent school you go.

You are clearly ignoring the Holmfirth 'old man rolling down a hill in a tyre, or something' premium.

Back to Estate Agent school you go.

We viewed one recently on Binns Lane, sold to us as the Beverley Hills of Holmfirth as we've recently returned from living in Los Angeles.. House was across from a graveyard, vendor pointed out we had a lovely view of Compo's grave..I kid you not.

Er, no.

Jesus wept.

It stands to reason that a house that has been specially adapted for left-handed people will cost more.

But, but the higher priced one has a £1,000 buyer's incentive!

That should cover about 5% of the negative equity you have as soon as the ink on the contract dries then.

Same thing is happening round were we live.

Georgian semi sold for £450k about a year ago. The other half of the semi just come on the market at £585k!

Identical houses in every way and the same agent too. Makes no sense.

I think they must be living in the past..... ;)

The one with the much higher price has doesnt have intolerable neighbours next door.

Reminds me of that joke about Mr Khan and Mr Jones. ;)

Original seller paid the costs for the friendly neighbour to put theirs up for sale to make theirs look a bargain ?

I have seen this with estate agents recently. They put there house up for sale way above all local houses to get sales on them.