House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Dying Detroit: Haunting Photos Of Crumbling Neighbourhoods

Dying Detroit: Haunting photos of crumbling neighbourhoods highlight the terrible decline of America's once-great Motor City

It's like Liverpool, but on a really good day..

THe new car plants are in LA, Georgia and AL. Detroit has rotten weather and most of the skilled people have moved South and West.

As someone who has arrived at Detroit Greyhound station at 2AM, I can assure you it is not the weather driving the exodus.

Also, taking a wrong turn - while driving a Corvette with the top down - is not a good idea.

Mind you, with leaders like Kwame Kilpatrick I can't believe Detroit has not risen.

A tourist from Cardiff is in New York shortly after 9/11. He visits ground zero and is surprised to see President Bush walking through the devastation.

Bush comes up to him and asks where he's from. "Cardiff" the tourist replies.

"Cardiff" answers Bush, "never heard of that town, what state is it in?".

The tourist looks around and replies "pretty similar to this".

A tourist from Cardiff is in New York shortly after 9/11. He visits ground zero and is surprised to see President Bush walking through the devastation.

:lol:

I live about 5 miles east of Brighton. Just got back from a holiday in Portugal. What a contrast. Brighton is a filthy cesspit with rubbish everywhere, derelict buildings, winoes begging and "odd" people walking around. Portugal may be broke but it was spotless with friendly people, immaculate restaurants--even the little cafes that seat 4 people. The roads were without potholes and you actually felt safe going out at night. However, a local said you can't walk out at night too safely when certain tourists arrive in vast numbers during the summer months.

Edited by Realistbear

THe new car plants are in LA, Georgia and AL. Detroit has rotten weather and most of the skilled people have moved South and West.

I think they're mostly free from the burden of the UAW. Theyve even offered employees union membership and been rejected.

Unions caused this, just like they caused the coal mines to close and devastate South Wales, steel mills to close and devastate parts of northern england. And just like they'll destroy the public sector with their obscene demands, causing it to die under its own debts.

The population change is the most shocking element.

Its not really shocking. Detroit still has the same population its had for the last 50 years, its just in the 'metro' area, not the city proper, probably working in high tech industries in places like Ann Arbor given the unions have killed carmaking. The Detroit area is massive, if you look at it on a map, many times larger than London, stretches up to past Flint (ie 50-60 miles away) of almost unbroken low density suburbia

map_metro_detroit.gif

Actually knew a guy from Detroit at uni. He said he felt safer there than he did in Sheffield. Although admitted that in 20 years of living in the suburbs had never actually been to downtown detroit, despite living less than 20 miles from it :lol:

Reminds me of a Porsche enthusiast who was telling a shocked American how he couldn't wait for the next 911

Unions caused this, just like they caused the coal mines to close and devastate South Wales, steel mills to close and devastate parts of northern england. And just like they'll destroy the public sector with their obscene demands, causing it to die under its own debts.

More blatantly false statements from a mindless dailmail reader.

Germany has the best paid, most unionized carplant-workforce in the world and despite that (or more likely BECAUSE OF THAT) is able to build desireable cars at a profit.

You would rather lick the feet of your Bankster-overlord than fight for your rights, would you?

Go live in China if you hate workers-rights so much.

Edited by wise_eagle

I was in Greater Detroit area last week specifically Ann Arbor (30min away). They still have mega high house prices. Does anyone have any input on how localised those rock bottom house prices are?

I live about 5 miles east of Brighton. Just got back from a holiday in Portugal. What a contrast. Brighton is a filthy cesspit with rubbish everywhere, derelict buildings, winoes begging and "odd" people walking around. Portugal may be broke but it was spotless with friendly people, immaculate restaurants--even the little cafes that seat 4 people. The roads were without potholes and you actually felt safe going out at night. However, a local said you can't walk out at night too safely when certain tourists arrive in vast numbers during the summer months.

They don't call it 'Skidrow-On-Sea' for nuttin..

Also, Portugal's roads have benefitted greatly from EU funds provided in part by er.. British taxpayers. At least you went and used the roads you've paid for, many will never even see them.

Germany has the best paid, most unionized carplant-workforce in the world and despite that (or more likely BECAUSE OF THAT) is able to build desireable cars at a profit.

You would rather lick the feet of your Bankster-overlord than fight for your rights, would you?

Unless you have had the 'pleasure' of working with UAW workers I would suggest you display the same mindless falseness as you accuse others of. I could write pages and pages about how bad most of the UAW workers I had to deal with were. Having to wait 4 hours with suppliers for some union lackey to turn up to move 4 prototype panels from one stillage to another to ensure they would fit just about sums up they're attitude. I would have done it myself in seconds but if I was spotted by a union member I would have had an official warning and after three of them you are not allowed on site at the unionised plants, which is not much good for a product engineer. If I'd complained about the wait a complaint would have been lodged as well. They're virtually untouchable and they know it.

The difference in attitude between the UAW workers I have worked with and German workers I have worked with is chalk and cheese.

The difference in attitude between the UAW workers I have worked with and German workers I have worked with is chalk and cheese.

Well there you go, it's not workers rights and unions per se that are an issue (on the contrary they are a much needed balance against the power of the capital owners), but specific localized issues that have multiple causes (usually lack of common sense on BOTH sides).

Sweeping statements that blame unions for all ills are false statements.

---

Edited by wise_eagle

Go live in [insert country of choice] blah blah blah, has got to be the most over-used, and thought lacking argument on teh internetz. You, literally, cannot use it without losing any chance of being seen as credible.

Can't comment on the rest of your point, my mind erased it to remove the risk of agreeing with anything said by someone using that phrase :P

Brighton is a filthy cesspit with rubbish everywhere, derelict buildings, winoes begging and "odd" people walking around.

Sounds like Cambridge.

That's a pretty steep and steady decline - if it keeps that up, there will be no one left there by 2050.

It was the centre of America's industrial muscle, but now it lies in ruins - a stark portrait of urban decay ravaged by the global recession

The population of devastated Detroit has dropped by 25 per cent in the past ten years and is now at its lowest since 1910.

Eh? This goes way further back than the recent global recession. The decay started long ago, according to that chart.

Actually he is right. I lived and worked in Detroit (the centre and not the burbs often discussed) and even the workers said that the problems stemmed from the unions bargaining and getting $50/hour+ unskilled labour wages/benefits. The thing was when Detroit was good, it was really good and could afford these daft packages. Now though, not a hope in hell.

In answer to another question. There is a ring around detroit that spreads from about two hundred yards from the centre (ish) out to beyond 18 mile, there or there abouts. All that is no go for anyone white. The 200 yards up to 18 mile is just desolate, mile after mile of abandoned homes. They are they ones being sold for a few hundred dollars (plus tens of thousands in back taxes due).

The Sheffield visitor from Detroit was talking Billy. There is no way you feel safe in that rough zone. Not even driving. Detroit makes Sheffield look like Mayfair.

Unless you have had the 'pleasure' of working with UAW workers I would suggest you display the same mindless falseness as you accuse others of. I could write pages and pages about how bad most of the UAW workers I had to deal with were. Having to wait 4 hours with suppliers for some union lackey to turn up to move 4 prototype panels from one stillage to another to ensure they would fit just about sums up they're attitude. I would have done it myself in seconds but if I was spotted by a union member I would have had an official warning and after three of them you are not allowed on site at the unionised plants, which is not much good for a product engineer. If I'd complained about the wait a complaint would have been lodged as well. They're virtually untouchable and they know it.

As a student I blagged a union job in New York about 20 years ago. $400 a week for ... sitting about talking to fellow workers on the nightshift. The view of Manhattan at 6 am was spectacular. One guy from Haiti, Raymond, used to come to work so he could sleep and wake up rested for his day job.

My introduction to the American dream. The power of the union was nothing like I'd expected in the land of the free.