House Price Crash Forum

Most Deprived Town In The Country- Jaywick

HOLA441

Guardian piece. Anyone been to this town?

After the second world war most plotlands were bulldozed but the Jaywick residents hung on, even going to court in 1970 and succeeded in preserving it. There is a proud tradition of self-reliance.

But the area is relatively isolated and the properties have deteriorated. A total of 62% of working age residents receive benefits, compared with the national average of 15%. It is in a high-risk flood zone.

Many of the roads are not maintained by the council and are narrow dirt tracks. Mains sewerage did not arrive until the 1980s and in some areas street lighting and pavements have never been installed.

"Eight years ago Jaywick had the highest rate of outright property ownership in the area but that has gone into reverse," said Stock. Four fifths of the housing stock is rented, with ownership concentrated in the hands of "one or two landlords" who rent out to housing benefit claimants. "The going rate is £450 a month for a two-bedroom house, which these qualify as. Because of their state of deterioration there's no deposit required, so we are attracting people from miles away to live here," he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/mar/29/jaywick-essex-resort-most-deprived

HOLA442
HOLA443

Yep. I used to live along the coast at Clacton which isn't much better to be honest. Houses in sunny Jaywick sold for 3k in 1995 and they are now 70k upwards. The picture on this site pretty much sums the area up.

http://www.constructionphotography.com/Details.aspx?ID=43949&TypeID=1

Yikes. I'm sure they'll go back to £3k again.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I visted there once a couple of years ago, it makes clacton seem nice in comparison.

Remember seeing a woman driver with a car full of kids pull out of a turning, shouting something out the window at someone.

A policeman was walking down the street and stopped the car because no one had any seatbelts on.

Saw the car parked up in the pub carpark as I got further down the road.

One house had it's garage door plastered with graffiti, no-one in the town seemed to be working either. Very depressing place.

HOLA446

Mother in law was terminally ill a few years ago and the family decided to take her on a holiday anywhere in the world she wanted. She chose to go somewhere she has not been since she was a kid.. Seawick :lol: Bless her.

It was fecking awful. A Chav infested filthy dump of an area. We decided to go for long drives everyday and stopped off in Jaywick on the way back to the holiday park. OMG.. I was shocked that such towns existed in the uk.

It was like the land that time forgot. I`m no snob and was pretty much dragged up in inner London. Jaywick was featured in the top ten of that awful programme called Britains hardest place.

One of lifes experiences.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Yikes. I'm sure they'll go back to £3k again.

Yes, they probably will. The problem is it'll be sh1tholes like that which drive down the headline average house price. So we'll all be left wondering why the good family homes we're all holding out for aren't showing as much of a reduction as we expect.

HOLA449

My parents took me on holiday there when I was a preschooler. One of the most traumatic experiences of my childhood. I still have memories which keep me awake at night over 40 years later.

Odd that they chose to go there seeing as they live/lived just down the road, but I guess that's what holidays were like back in the 60s. We only ever went on 3 family holidays in total. The other 2 were in Devon, for those who want to know.

HOLA4410

My parents took me on holiday there when I was a preschooler. One of the most traumatic experiences of my childhood. I still have memories which keep me awake at night over 40 years later.

Odd that they chose to go there seeing as they live/lived just down the road, but I guess that's what holidays were like back in the 60s. We only ever went on 3 family holidays in total. The other 2 were in Devon, for those who want to know.

Been there quite a few times. There are many worse places in the UK. The housing stock seems average - poor, there's a lot of people on the dole but it wouldn't say it's a patch on the east end of Glasgow or the wrong part of Slough.

HOLA4411

Been there quite a few times. There are many worse places in the UK. The housing stock seems average - poor, there's a lot of people on the dole but it wouldn't say it's a patch on the east end of Glasgow or the wrong part of Slough.

Being a Slough lad i was wondering which parts are worse than Jaywick and the east end of Glasgow, I know Manor Park and Chavley ;) are some of the least desirable areas but pretty safe to walk during the day, as for night time there are a million and one places i wouldn't go in the UK.

(edit) I see you mentioned housing stock, apologies, but even still, apart from Wentworth shops on the Britwell i don't see anything like Jaywick, i stand corrected if you know of other sites.

Edited by Ungeared

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Being a Slough lad i was wondering which parts are worse than Jaywick and the east end of Glasgow, I know Manor Park and Chavley ;) are some of the least desirable areas but pretty safe to walk during the day, as for night time there are a million and one places i wouldn't go in the UK.

(edit) I see you mentioned housing stock, apologies, but even still, apart from Wentworth shops on the Britwell i don't see anything like Jaywick, i stand corrected if you know of other sites.

Slough is a funny place. There are very pricey areas cheek'n'jowl with some very shady areas - the ones you mentioned top of the list. The reason I personally rate Slough worse than Jaywick is that, to me, Slough feels much more dangerous and depressing. I have some experience of both places and Jaywick, although much more deprived than Slough, seems safer. Slough seems full of random nutter types and although I've had the misfortune of staying in some of the UK's foremost sh;tholes, it is only place where I've ever seen someone stabbed before my eyes.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I used to work for one of the big Pubco's doing claims investigation / regulatory compliance stuff. Spending a lot of time in an areas pubs is a good way of evaluating the place.

This part of Essex really is the dogs asshole of England

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Depraved Deprived due to the one or two BTLers buying up all the houses for take advantage of the UK's ridiculous housing policy, like leeches on back of the productive tax payers, attracting the dregs of the country with their "no deposit necessary"? Who'd of thunk it...

HOLA4421

The town of Clacton is a great community, nice in Summer and I would recommend a day out there to anyone as it has great beaches, a great pier and other attractions, not to mention the annual air show which attracts tens of thousands. Admittedly Jaywick is obviously deprived, but many of the residents enjoy the spirit of the place.

I can easily see why people who have not spent any time in the area, would not be able to grasp the essence of a place like Clacton and it's surrounding environs.. it is not suited to everyone, but I would happily live there over most other towns in the UK, particularly East Clacton/Holland on Sea and the surrounding villages.

Edited by Guyanarama

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Slough is a funny place. There are very pricey areas cheek'n'jowl with some very shady areas - the ones you mentioned top of the list. The reason I personally rate Slough worse than Jaywick is that, to me, Slough feels much more dangerous and depressing. I have some experience of both places and Jaywick, although much more deprived than Slough, seems safer. Slough seems full of random nutter types and although I've had the misfortune of staying in some of the UK's foremost sh;tholes, it is only place where I've ever seen someone stabbed before my eyes.

Slough can't be that bad, after all that is where the GT40 came from.:rolleyes:

• 2 years later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425