House Price Crash Forum
gus

A Drop In The Ocean

This little place down in Rhossili has been on for a few months and was originally priced at 750K but clearly no takers. Has now been moved to new agents and in one fell reduced to 650K.... a snip for those bankers!

Problem is that it's sited just below road level so in order to get a good sea view you need firstly to go outside, and secondly, climb onto the flat roof....literally. Once up there, for most days of the year, the winds would blow you off your feet, so you'll need to wrap up nice and warm.

In the winter , constant wind and rain will be your companions and in the summer, well then you'll be immersed in campers and all those pseudo wannabe surfers who think they are in Bondi.But I think it will now go quickly (in fairness Rhossili has to be one of Britain's most spectacular coastal spots)....a banker no doubt, looking for a weekend retreat.

But 650K is still a lot of money for us plebs. Any takers? (I'm not on commission).

rhossili.pdf

rhossili.pdf

I can beat that.

Friend was serving an EA in his shop and EA was talking about a Gower house he just got on the market for 500K asking. Friend says "Oh, I sold it for 500K 4 years ago".

Within hours house is on the market for 650K asking price.

This little place down in Rhossili has been on for a few months and was originally priced at 750K but clearly no takers. Has now been moved to new agents and in one fell reduced to 650K.... a snip for those bankers!

Problem is that it's sited just below road level so in order to get a good sea view you need firstly to go outside, and secondly, climb onto the flat roof....literally. Once up there, for most days of the year, the winds would blow you off your feet, so you'll need to wrap up nice and warm.

In the winter , constant wind and rain will be your companions and in the summer, well then you'll be immersed in campers and all those pseudo wannabe surfers who think they are in Bondi.But I think it will now go quickly (in fairness Rhossili has to be one of Britain's most spectacular coastal spots)....a banker no doubt, looking for a weekend retreat.

But 650K is still a lot of money for us plebs. Any takers? (I'm not on commission).

If you can afford 400K plus in the area now you have your choice. Seems to me that half of Gower is up for sale.

I am one of those surfers Gus and I can tell you there are often times when the journey from Swansea to that part of the World is off-putting.

It's quite nice actually. I'd have it for 100k.

Good standard of finish and one great location despite the winds. But it's right at the end of the Gower so even in the winter it would take you 40 mins to get into Swansea and then another hour to Cardiff. In the summer........

Very difficult one to value though.

If you can afford 400K plus in the area now you have your choice. Seems to me that half of Gower is up for sale.

I am one of those surfers Gus and I can tell you there are often times when the journey from Swansea to that part of the World is off-putting.

The wheels are turning but

the pace is still so painfull . And I'm stuck watching places that don't sell but don't reduce either. Legions out there who just can't take the hit. (until forced is applied).

I suspect it's the feel and smell of the rubber that has you hooked!!

Good standard of finish and one great location despite the winds. But it's right at the end of the Gower so even in the winter it would take you 40 mins to get into Swansea and then another hour to Cardiff. In the summer........

Plus getting the heating oil delivered and the septic tanks emptied, I presume, and just going on a weekly shop becomes a nightmare. I think Sainsburys now deliver to that part of the World.

I think many bought in the Gower on the back of that Mail writer regularly writing about her Llangennith home - think she has sold up now?

But people have no idea how remote it is even from Swansea and Swansea is a long car journey or train ride from London.

Then you add the journey to Gower on top and it is a long, long time to get somewhere. Easier for a Londoner to get to a house in France or a Med than West Wales.

Extremely hard to value.

It's a one-off and would boil down to the old saying 'its only worth what somebody is willing to pay'. It would be of serious interest to quite a few people with the available funds.

Some people want to be remote and all the supermarkets now deliver down there. If you want to be in a remote area like that, then you will always have to expect the extra costs such as oil etc. However, it is an Eco house which I know little about. Are they cheaper to run or more expensive?

Extremely hard to value.

It's a one-off and would boil down to the old saying 'its only worth what somebody is willing to pay'. It would be of serious interest to quite a few people with the available funds.

Some people want to be remote and all the supermarkets now deliver down there. If you want to be in a remote area like that, then you will always have to expect the extra costs such as oil etc. However, it is an Eco house which I know little about. Are they cheaper to run or more expensive?

There are some militant type eco people who believe you should not scar the landscape so you build below the surface and this supposedly makes it more eco-friendly.

I have watched a few being built on that Channel 4 programme where people build their dream home but they all, to me, usually either are very dark on the inside - often they have these holes in the roof with reflectors to try and bounce daylight around the place.

Personally, you move somewhere like that for the views IMPO.

Extremely hard to value.

Well no-one with funds is willing to pay 750k , that much is clear.

It might go as a week-end retreat to a body with money, but those in the know would be aware how busy it gets in the summer months....not very retreatish then! The road just outside is narrow and gets very busy.

So if you are really looking for a quiet and remote location without neighbours this place misses the spot.Better off up in Penycae or Brecon where your 650K will buy you true remoteness surrounded by 20 acres.

Not the sort of place for by ageing downsizers either, who want to be close to services etc.

Good looking house but 650K may still be too much.

There are some militant type eco people who believe you should not scar the landscape so you build below the surface and this supposedly makes it more eco-friendly.

I have watched a few being built on that Channel 4 programme where people build their dream home but they all, to me, usually either are very dark on the inside - often they have these holes in the roof with reflectors to try and bounce daylight around the place.

Personally, you move somewhere like that for the views IMPO.

Total agreement, if you move to the coast you must surely want to buy a place with a sea view .( I did ,to my deepest regret in west Wales: salt laced winds eat everything... ..including your car . Constant winds eventually send you into manic depression and the Herring Gulls constantly sh*t on everything , including you).

But to live this close to some of the finest coastal scenery in Britain and not be able to view it from your sitting room is insane.

One for Gus

Still vastly over-priced asking price IMPO.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31931450.html

08 December 2010 09:54:55

Price found: £870,000

01 April 2011 11:53:02

Price changed: £870,000 £645,000

Wonderful views and 18 acres thrown in too. Not a bad price to start negotiating down from, in my opinion.In this distorted , messed up world we now inhabit , maybe 600K is not so outrageous.

As for me.... the one bedroom cottage in the grounds would do fine!

Another one that is hard to put an actual value on.

There is quite a lot of property and land in the deal which on the face of it could be turned in to a business/income or at least will have a lot of potential for it.

I would still look to offer £200k less than asking :lol:

Another one that is hard to put an actual value on.

There is quite a lot of property and land in the deal which on the face of it could be turned in to a business/income or at least will have a lot of potential for it.

I would still look to offer £200k less than asking :lol:

Seeing that is in an AONB, planning permission for a business would be impossible to get. Places like Rhosilli only really suit people who were born there. The constant wind and frequent rain, lack of handy Doctors, Dentists, shops etc. soon get incomers down.

I heard an interesting story this morning about a house in Old Walls that, so I was told, came on the market 3 years ago for 625K asking and the owners, whilst very keen to sell, have been pumping up the price to nearly 900K asking price over the past 3 years.

Apparently they recently dropped it down to early 600s recently.

Seeing that is in an AONB, planning permission for a business would be impossible to get. Places like Rhosilli only really suit people who were born there. The constant wind and frequent rain, lack of handy Doctors, Dentists, shops etc. soon get incomers down.

Yes, I have met many from both Swansea and London in the past 5 years who dreamed of the Gower move only to end up loathing living there. I know people who swear they got divorced as a result of living there - nothing to do, especially in winter.

Here is another one for Gus:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28355275.html

30 October 2010 09:11:03

* Price found: £620,000

6th April 2011 09:06:31

Price changed: Offers in Region of £620,000 £495,000

There were a few others this year on the Gower with 6 figure drops. Looks like the top end is beginning to buckle.

There were a few others this year on the Gower with 6 figure drops. Looks like the top end is beginning to buckle.

Either that or the larger EA's are now doing what they can to do get reductions. No doubt they are making this a priority, but they have given the advice in the first place for initial asking prices, so it will be hard work to get reductions.

The best way is to pick up property from other EA's and offer them at lower prices than originally offered.

I think you will find evidence of the market buckling by looking at new properties coming to the market and compare those prices with those nearby.

One big problem is carrying out an appraisal of a property similar to one on the market nearby. You give them your valuation and the first thing they say is that one down the road is on for £40k more and our property is much nicer :huh:

Because there is a lot of property on the market there is always one close by that people look at for a comparison.