House Price Crash Forum

Music Royalties Fall For First Time

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/mar/28/music-royalties-fall-for-first-time

Songwriters have felt the effect of the slump in CD sales after the royalties collected on their behalf fell for the first time last year.

PRS for Music, the organisation that represents 75,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers in the UK, blamed digital piracy and a fall in high street sales for a 1% year-on-year decline in total royalties, down £7m to £611.2m in 2010. Royalties from recorded media fell 8.8% to £117.2m, only partially offset by an increase in income from overseas and from commercial radio in Britain.

The organisation collects royalties for songwriters from more than 25bn uses of music each year, from digital streams to breakfast radio and background music in shops.

Robert Ashcroft, chief executive of PRS, which represents artists such as Jessie J, Adele and Florence and the Machine star Florence Welch, said: "The loss of high street outlets, the slowdown in physical music sales as well as the challenges capturing the full value of music usage online has meant that for the first time we have seen royalties collected dip.

Shock horror the PRS suddenly find that they aren't immune to reality. There exponential money extraction machine appears to have hit a problem. Once more piracy gets a mention, but obviously it's nothing to with a changing business model.

HOLA442

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/mar/28/music-royalties-fall-for-first-time

Shock horror the PRS suddenly find that they aren't immune to reality. There exponential money extraction machine appears to have hit a problem. Once more piracy gets a mention, but obviously it's nothing to with a changing business model.

+1

All those poor popstars who pocketed a mint when cd replaced vinyl (and pumped out endless pap a la U2 among others), now cant control the fact that people just download the ONE good song on a 12-15 quid cd and ignore the rest of the sh**e, the ex head of the british phonographic industry and warner Rob Dickens thinks (quite rightly) that downloded albums should cost a pound,

http://www.kitguru.net/channel/carl/ex-music-industry-chief-wants-1-albums-piracy-beater ,

ps how to dismantle a nuclear bomb ? please try Bonio ! you might be better at that than screeching ! :D

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

In Belgium they are going to tax truck drivers if they have a radio in their truck.

Loony Belgian copyright outfit Sabam is telling truck drivers to pay for music that they listen to when driving.

Truck drivers already pay a contribution to Sabam through the radio stations. But the copyright society considers the cab of the truck a workplace and therefore they need to be charged again.

MP Maggie De Block (Open VLD) said that the copyright outfit is talking nonsense and her colleague Enterprise Minister Vincent Van Quickenborne (Open VLD) agrees saying that radio is essential for truckers.

Read more: http://www.techeye.net/business/copyright-outfit-goes-nuts-in-the-netherlands#ixzz1Hvzom3Nj

Coming soon to a Vauxhall Vectra near you.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

The music industry isnt having a good day. Here is a similar story about the Digital Economy Act. The govts new anti-piracy legislation now been delayed for at least another year.

Digital Economy Act: further delay to illegal downloading measures

Plans to send warning letters to alleged illegal downloaders pushed back until next year amid high court review

Linky

HOLA4410

In Belgium they are going to tax truck drivers if they have a radio in their truck.

Read more: http://www.techeye.net/business/copyright-outfit-goes-nuts-in-the-netherlands#ixzz1Hvzom3Nj

Coming soon to a Vauxhall Vectra near you.

Bizarre....

The music industry can F off , all the big names they have manufactured over the past 15 years have been utter utter shite.

I just listen to talkback radio and my own burnt CDs , commercial radio is pure garbage.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Bizarre....

The music industry can F off , all the big names they have manufactured over the past 15 years have been utter utter shite.

I just listen to talkback radio and my own burnt CDs , commercial radio is pure garbage.

There's a tonne of great music out there if you're prepared to go looking for it.

Anything spoon fed to you such as commercial radio, X-Factor and those cr@p big name stadium filler bands is sh!t as far as I'm concerned.

HOLA4413

I hereby take the opportunity to plug my favourite band, The Besnard Lakes (my Avatar).

Superb stuff, out of a buzzing Montreal music scene.

is great, and even has an HPC theme - what's that he is dragging on his back?

HOLA4414

I hereby take the opportunity to plug my favourite band, The Besnard Lakes (my Avatar).

Superb stuff, out of a buzzing Montreal music scene.

is great, and even has an HPC theme - what's that he is dragging on his back?

There are a lot of cool Canadian bands out right now. The Burning Hell are my current favourites. They have songs about global politics and economics with themes such as Bretton Woods and The Berlin Conference.

HOLA4415

There are a lot of cool Canadian bands out right now. The Burning Hell are my current favourites. They have songs about global politics and economics with themes such as Bretton Woods and The Berlin Conference.

Is there anything more tiresome than political music?

Stick to love, death, nature. The rest is cover for lack of insight and talent.

HOLA4416

Got my royalty cheque today. Not much changed, though its sterling value will depend on the exchange rate.

Good thing it's got nothing to do with *****s like the PRS.

You wrote the Grandstand theme and i claim (your) £5.....

Thats where im aiming, Logic based noodlings done for cash.

HOLA4417

Perhaps there's another factor at play here also i.e. there isn't much decent new music being made these days.

It's so subjective I know, but I don't think the golden times of the 60's & 70's will ever come back. New music is destined to play second fiddle to gaming and other pursuits. Once upon a time, a whole album of songs had to be decent, not just the single. Singles often weren't even ON the albums, they were a separate entity.

HOLA4418

Perhaps there's another factor at play here also i.e. there isn't much decent new music being made these days.

It's so subjective I know, but I don't think the golden times of the 60's & 70's will ever come back. New music is destined to play second fiddle to gaming and other pursuits. Once upon a time, a whole album of songs had to be decent, not just the single. Singles often weren't even ON the albums, they were a separate entity.

People keep saying that it exists, you just need to look for it.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I do not agree :ph34r:

Well, it certainly does if you restrict your searching to anything >30 years or so (which means nothing from my generation, being in my mid 30s*; it's no surprise that I've never voluntarily listend to Radio 1, and Top of the Pops resulted in a dash for the off switch). But back to new, it stands to reason that there must be someone, somewhere, making something decent, but finding them will be far harder than the proverbial needle in a haystack.

* There are a few slightly newer bits than that that I like, but music-wise being born in the 70s meant missing the stuff from then, until discovered later in life :(

HOLA4421

If there bands around as great as the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin etc etc no way would they be unheard. The internet is more viral than ever, and word spreads very fast.

There simply isn't the same standard of music around today compared to the past. It's a shame. And it's indisputable.

HOLA4422

If there bands around as great as the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin etc etc no way would they be unheard. The internet is more viral than ever, and word spreads very fast.

There simply isn't the same standard of music around today compared to the past. It's a shame. And it's indisputable.

I would tend to agree with that. It could be an age thing, but I very rarely get the wow factor now when I hear music.

It's got to be harder to be innovative now, hasn't everything already been done and all the notes used up? As it is to say something that hasn't already been said.

That said, it's never been easier to do your own thing and put stuff out there, which is good, though by its ubiquity it's harder to break through because of the competition and noise.

I saw somewhere that the Beatles were the biggest selling band in the 00s in the US, which is amazing - yet telling. Get it right and its timeless.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

There's a tonne of great music out there if you're prepared to go looking for it.

Anything spoon fed to you such as commercial radio, X-Factor and those cr@p big name stadium filler bands is sh!t as far as I'm concerned.

yup newsgrounds and myspace have a ton of unsigned composers and some of the stuff they produce is really quite good.

http://cornandbeans.newgrounds.com/ the track Blaze is quite good, as is the bittersweet remix.

As is central digit/masai.

http://centraldigit.com/centraldigit/Central_Digit/centraldigit.html

Momentum is a nice track.

Both their albums are free the remixed ones also free as you can choose to pay $10 $5 or nothing if you are pish poor. They make their money via live performances and special editions.

Archived