House Price Crash Forum

Public Sector In Coventry

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

The Harpers sound a bit worried...

We have just bought a decrepit house to renovate. This was a big decision, and a big risk, given we both work in the public sector, which faces huge cuts. The falling euro is eroding our profit on the sale of our property abroad, the UK housing market is stagnant, and the cost of our renovation project is increasing. We are wondering if we have made the right decision or should have just sat tight.

HOLA444
Claire Lee

Biology teacher

I have an MSc, Diploma in Education, classroom assistant experience and a mortgage and wedding to pay for. My concerns include increased classroom sizes with fewer support assistants, fewer opportunities for promotion, and limited funding for practical experiments. Increased pension payments, pay freezes and limitations regarding satisfactory work life balance are a personal worry.

my heart bleeds

Christopher Denson

Physics teacher, Tile Hill Wood School

It's likely to be very difficult for Coventry as a whole. The government is using the fact that we had a budget deficit to attack the workers in the public sector. The speed at which changes are being made is frightening. Our school is in the process of applying for academy status, which will have a disastrous effect not only on our pupils, but also on the most deprived students from across the city.

you too

Alayna May-Browne, 34, Policy Co-ordination Manager at Becta

what is a policy co-ordination manager and how much does it earn??

one thing that stands out, or seems to, is that the younger they are, the greater sense of entitlement comes out in their writing, especially teachers

HOLA445

The Harpers sound a bit worried...

We have just bought a decrepit house to renovate. This was a big decision, and a big risk, given we both work in the public sector, which faces huge cuts. The falling euro is eroding our profit on the sale of our property abroad, the UK housing market is stagnant, and the cost of our renovation project is increasing. We are wondering if we have made the right decision or should have just sat tight.

what is it with teachers and property speculation? I've seen this quite a bit

HOLA446

To be fair, teaching does seem like holding a sh!tty stick nowadays - I know a primary school teacher who has got to handle 60 rugrats. She's got "teaching assistants" to help her, but it's still no way to bring up our future.

But never mind, the number of P@n!s Enhancing Porsche Cayennes is increasing, so we've still got our priorities right <_<

HOLA447

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12751298

I think that it's safe to say that, without an enforced exit from what was a successful career that I was happy in,

how can you call something succesful when it is entirely surplus to requirements?

this reminds me of some Yes Minister episodes where there were whole hospitals and offices without any work to do - but they were terribly efficient

HOLA448

To be fair, teaching does seem like holding a sh!tty stick nowadays - I know a primary school teacher who has got to handle 60 rugrats. She's got "teaching assistants" to help her, but it's still no way to bring up our future.

But never mind, the number of P@n!s Enhancing Porsche Cayennes is increasing, so we've still got our priorities right <_<

I'd have little problem with teachers earning a decent salary, better than they did before 2000, certainly, but the troughing from teachers has been one of the most overt elements of the public sector boom

HOLA449

I like this comment.

I am a poet, father, community activist, and union rep cum Data Protection Officer at the Skills Funding Agency. I will be a Green Party candidate for Coventry Council in May. These cuts are unnecessary.

The simple answer is that there is no value added by this person's job. There is nothing earned by UK PLC through it.

People who once did productive work are now stood idle and paying no taxes, so this person's job cannot be afforded any more.

The situation reminds me of that when I lived in Russia in the 1990s, when hotels would employ a ferocious old woman on each floor of the hotel, every escalator on the Metro had people employed to monitor their use, and road bridges had a booth at each end with someone employed to check whether the German army was about to march over it, all simply to create pretend jobs.

HOLA4410

I like this comment.

The simple answer is that there is no value added by this person's job. There is nothing earned by UK PLC through it.

People who once did productive work are now stood idle and paying no taxes, so this person's job cannot be afforded any more.

The situation reminds me of that when I lived in Russia in the 1990s, when hotels would employ a ferocious old woman on each floor of the hotel, every escalator on the Metro had people employed to monitor their use, and road bridges had a booth at each end with someone employed to check whether the German army was about to march over it, all simply to create pretend jobs.

nothing like a bit of Diversity management to help Coventry become World leaders

http://www.coventry.gov.uk/info/344/equal_opportunities_information/855/equality_and_community_cohesion

HOLA4411

I wouldn't mind teaching kids who actually wanted to learn - but that's the problem.

HOLA4412

I wouldn't mind teaching kids who actually wanted to learn - but that's the problem.

The consequence I'm afraid of taxing the productive out of existance whilst paying the uneducated to breed like rabbits: classrooms full of kids just marking time until they're old enough to sign on for themselves.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I like this comment.

Yeah, old Merle sounds a delight. What were you doing in Russia, Harry?

HOLA4416

my heart bleeds

you too

what is a policy co-ordination manager and how much does it earn??

one thing that stands out, or seems to, is that the younger they are, the greater sense of entitlement comes out in their writing, especially teachers

Interesting to note that not one teacher appears to have defended themselves on this site. Perhaps they haven't the time to post 11600 posts of bitter inverted snobbery.

HOLA4417

You would have thought that Sunairah Miraj, the Employment advisor to Coventry City Council, would have been safe. :lol:

TOP MISERYGUTS POSTING: Flo Swann & Simon Harper:

:lol::lol::lol:

How terrible. Their profit is eroding on their overseas property. :lol: Yes it was a big risk you dimwits. :lol::blink::lol:

Merle Gering, 62, Data Protection Officer, Skills Funding Agency:

I am a poet, father, community activist, and union rep cum Data Protection Officer at the Skills Funding Agency. I will be a Green Party candidate for Coventry Council in May. These cuts are unnecessary. More than £120bn pounds a year could be raised by going after taxes that are avoided and evaded. Why should we pay tax and lose our jobs, while others get off free?

This guy is a complete sausage jockey. What the hell is a community activist? It sounds like someone who needs to be beaten up. The country could have saved 120billion pounds by not wasting public money on w@nkers like him in the first place. The council must have a random job title generator.

Edited by Xurbia

HOLA4418

Interesting to note that not one teacher appears to have defended themselves on this site. Perhaps they haven't the time to post 11600 posts of bitter inverted snobbery.

Yes, they probably don't have the time to fit it during the 6 months' of holiday and having sex with the pupils. :lol::blink:

Edited by Xurbia

HOLA4419

What is the point of these BBC pages?

Why are they comparing public sector workers with private companies instead of private sector workers?

Do they report here on the personal hardships of private sector workers over the past few years? No. The resultant unemployed? No.

Most companies will put a positive spin on their outlook in order to boost the confidence of their clients and suppliers.

Most of the upper civil servants & ministers would put a positive spin on the performance and outlook of their organisations too, but theyaren't asked for comparison.

Are they going to complain that the growth of the private sector is to be envied and restricted, even though it will be essential in order to fund and sustain the public sector?

HOLA4420

What is the point of these BBC pages?

Why are they comparing public sector workers with private companies instead of private sector workers?

Do they report here on the personal hardships of private sector workers over the past few years? No. The resultant unemployed? No.

Most companies will put a positive spin on their outlook in order to boost the confidence of their clients and suppliers.

Most of the upper civil servants & ministers would put a positive spin on the performance and outlook of their organisations too, but theyaren't asked for comparison.

Are they going to complain that the growth of the private sector is to be envied and restricted, even though it will be essential in order to fund and sustain the public sector?

The BBC are public employees and are effectively Labour supporters. They have been well paid over the last 14 years for wasting taxpayer monies. Now that the trough is empty they want to attribute the blame to the coalition.

I don't remember the BBC doing anything to stop the outsourcing of private jobs. All I remember is the BBC capitulating the whole corporation to Blair after the Dr David Kelly (R.I.P.) debacle.

Here in the USA everyone thinks the BBC is unbiased but I'd suggest it is very left-wing.

Edited by Xurbia

HOLA4421
Guest The Relaxation Suite

The BBC are public employees and are effectively Labour supporters. They have been well paid over the last 14 years for wasting taxpayer monies. Now that the trough is empty they want to attribute the blame to the coalition.

I don't remember the BBC doing anything to stop the outsourcing of private jobs. All I remember is the BBC capitulating the whole corporation to Blair after the Dr David Kelly (R.I.P.) debacle.

Here in the USA everyone thinks the BBC is unbiased but I'd suggest it is very left-wing.

It's not "very left-wing" but I agree there is a bias. It seems obvious to me anyway. I mean very left-wing is Stalin or Pol Pot. The BBC has a more Euro-centric social-democrat thing going on because of who constitute its staff. I'm not so opposed to this any more anyway, although I still remain opposed to media bias of any form - like the preposterous Fox News in the US for example.

HOLA4422

It's not "very left-wing" but I agree there is a bias. It seems obvious to me anyway. I mean very left-wing is Stalin or Pol Pot. The BBC has a more Euro-centric social-democrat thing going on because of who constitute its staff. I'm not so opposed to this any more anyway, although I still remain opposed to media bias of any form - like the preposterous Fox News in the US for example.

Fox news is awful crap. :lol:

HOLA4423

Fox news is awful crap. :lol:

It really is. I like France 24 but it's very hard to follow if you're not a good French speaker. I rate BBC news as well despite the bias.

HOLA4424

It really is. I like France 24 but it's very hard to follow if you're not a good French speaker. I rate BBC news as well despite the bias.

I watch BBC America occasionally but my opinion of the BBC will always be tainted by the Dr David Kelly murder. The BBC capitulated to Labour after Blair's WMD nonsense. They could have destroyed Labour after the truth emerged. Perhaps they were all bribed or threatened? When I was growing up, the BBC represented the truth. They spin the stories just like Labour spun the truth.

The BBC should just get back to making decent drama and reporting the facts. The licence fee (tax) should not be used to spout political bias. I think BBC should keep one radio channel for news and get rid of all the rest. I've never understood why the radio stations are free (paid via the licence fee). It's all waste in my opinion, especially Radio 1.

FOX news is comical and openly ridiculed in Seattle. I prefer to watch local news channels. CNN is okay but they like to make every story sensational.

Edited by Xurbia

HOLA4425

I watch BBC America occasionally but my opinion of the BBC will always be tainted by the Dr David Kelly murder. The BBC capitulated to Labour after Blair's WMD nonsense. They could have destroyed Labour after the truth emerged. Perhaps they were all bribed or threatened? When I was growing up, the BBC represented the truth. They spin the stories just like Labour spun the truth.

The BBC should just get back to making decent drama and reporting the facts. The licence fee (tax) should not be used to spout political bias. I think BBC should keep one radio channel for news and get rid of all the rest. I've never understood why the radio stations are free (paid via the licence fee). It's all waste in my opinion, especially Radio 1.

FOX news is comical and openly ridiculed in Seattle. I prefer to watch local news channels. CNN is okay but they like to make every story sensational.

I agree about Kelly. Obviously I don't know the facts about any of it (who does?) but it all seems very murky to me and I know they're not above it. Did you see the Michael Cockerell programmes about the British political establishment? In one of them Joe Haines, Harold Wilson's press secretary claimed quite openly that Wilson's doctor - a Joseph Stone offered to murder Marcia Williams, Wilson's head of political office because she had too much power over Wilson. At first I thought they were talking about getting rid of her as in firing her, but then it was made clear they meant killing her because he said he would write a dodgy death certificate. We only have Haines's word for this, but it wouldn't surprise me. I mean, if someone had nodded their heads to this suggestion she would have been knocked off, just like that, I suppose.

Edited by Tecumseh