House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Leeds Met University Says It Will Charge £8,500 Fees

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12879817

Leeds Metropolitan has become the first of the newer, less selective group of universities to officially announce its new fee level.

The former polytechnic and member of Million+ group of newer universities has said it will charge £8,500 for all full-time undergraduates from 2012.

The government has said universities would only be able to charge higher fees in exceptional circumstances.

Isn't this Uni one of those at risk of financial collapse? As predicted it would appear the lesser institutions will all charge the near maximum of £9k a year.

Well, if they can get anyone to pay ...

My knowledge of the subject says Leeds has a respectable university, but it's not this one. But that's from 20 years ago, so it's possible that the rebadged poly has its own value by now :huh:

Well, if they can get anyone to pay ...

My knowledge of the subject says Leeds has a respectable university, but it's not this one. But that's from 20 years ago, so it's possible that the rebadged poly has its own value by now :huh:

I am biased in favour of 'respectable' universtities but IMO Leeds Met does indeed have its own value, in some subjects. Same is true for many 'rebadged' poly's.

Whether its worth £8,500 depends on what is charged by its competitors.

Well someone has to pay for their legacy of sports club sponsorship - at one stage they were Yorkshire's answer to the Glazers. See the current RFU Premiership Table for a flavour

All in all yet another Polytechnic dressed up as a University offering people 'lifestyle' based 3 years, when a lot of their students would be better off saving their future earnings and going into employment at 18.

But then these are the days of the degree being seen as a natural entitlement rather than a academic privilege.

I did sort of imagine that the cost of uni would be based on where they are in the league table. I'm sure some enterprising journo will do a chart of them all at some point...

The more who charge this sort of amount, the fewer people will go to uni.

Leeds Metropolitan was renowned for spending millions sponsoring sports clubs and ballets.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6982278.ece

Being the 97th best university in Britain in 2010 as measured by the Sunday Times, it is well worth eight and a half thousand a year.

97 out of what? The article doesn't say. 97 out of 1000, not so bad, 97 out of 97 very bad.

Ah....another 'Bullingdon Club = good, teaching degrees = bad thread.

It's clear what's happening here and that is that without the housing market as a driver of new money (i.e. debt) creation The Torylition have had to find something else. Part of that something else they've come up with is all our children being 'forced' into c£9,000 p.a. (plus living costs) debt from age 18.

These trade deficits must be recylced somehow. If not housing, then 'education'. If not 'education' then something else..........

Torylition lied..........what's new.

97 out of what? The article doesn't say. 97 out of 1000, not so bad, 97 out of 97 very bad.

97 out of 120 odd.

Unis are in all likelihood going to charge between 8k and 9k, regardless of quality. I understand that most unis are insolvent below 7k.

Seems to be about 127 on the list (link).

As a regional comparison, the University of Sheffield is no. 18 and Sheffield Hallam (former Poly) is 64.

97th is pretty bad but not utterly abysmal.

97 out of 120 odd.

Unis are in all likelihood going to charge between 8k and 9k, regardless of quality. I understand that most unis are insolvent below 7k.

There's a list of estimates of fees institutions would need to charge students to break even, ranked highest to lowest, here

http://www.ucu.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=5152

Scroll down the page a bit.

Leeds Met would need to charge £6,858 just to break even.

There's a list of estimates of fees institutions would need to charge students to break even, ranked highest to lowest, here

http://www.ucu.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=5152

Scroll down the page a bit.

Leeds Met would need to charge £6,858 just to break even.

Those are estimates. I know the fees needed for a fiscally neutral position for the institution I work at is some 10% north of the figure given there, I'd be surprised if it was much different for others.

Says the university and college union.

Quite so, although I bet their members get to see the spreadsheets.

It's going to be awfully interesting to see what Offa (regulatory body, not dead Mercian king) says after 19th April, and especially on or after 11th July.

And then it's going to be awfully interesting to see the HE institutions' reaction.

I wonder if William Hill is doing odds yet on any of them falling over before the next election?

It's clear what's happening here and that is that without the housing market as a driver of new money (i.e. debt) creation The Torylition have had to find something else. Part of that something else they've come up with is all our children being 'forced' into c£9,000 p.a. (plus living costs) debt from age 18.

These trade deficits must be recylced somehow. If not housing, then 'education'. If not 'education' then something else..........

Torylition lied..........what's new.

I'm surprised you haven't thought ahead. Surely the way forward it to charge children for doing A-levels and give them a little help in accumulating some debt. £2000 a year should do for starters, same for Btec's.

We need to get the debt based economy moving again.

Similar charge every child £1000 a year for attending school so when they leave school they already have £11k or £12k of debt. Lets get the proles off on the right footing.

Plus headmasters could all give themselves a huge pay rise.

I very much doubt that any of the polyversities could get away with charging these kind of prices? I mean, will anyone pay them?

most grads from such institutions are rubbish and never had the talent for a degree in the first place

at best, they will end up as finishing schools for the rich, failing that they will have to fold; not sure of any subjects Leeds Met is good in, tho there must be one or two

As a previous poster pointed out this has zero to do with students and learning or education would be prioritised as a social benefit.

the polyversities largely have had less to do with learning and more to do with box-ticking, I am sure there were exceptions

Looks like the Open University and International programs of the University of London will be more and more popular.

I will finish my law degree with the University of London in 2 months time - a 4 year course (part time) which cost just a shade under 6,000 pounds in total! (and that is while working and holding down a full time job)

Isn't this Uni one of those at risk of financial collapse?

Yup. I almost wonder if this is a high-profile decision intended to force the government's hand: set a slightly lower rate to boost recruitment, find that you can't run the place on the reduced income, and dare the government to let you go under when the crunch time comes.

I am biased in favour of 'respectable' universtities but IMO Leeds Met does indeed have its own value, in some subjects. Same is true for many 'rebadged' poly's.

Agreed. There are 'exception that proves the rule' isolated pocket of excellence departments in many of the polyversities. From what I've heard, sociology at Leeds Met is one of them, plus history at Teesside (OK, maybe I'm biased, given that I used to work there!), marine engineering at Plymouth and so on and so forth. The problem is that the institutions as a whole don't have the critical mass to sustain a research-led teaching model. Ultimately what needs to happen is that the best ones should turn back into polytechnics, in the positive late Victorian sense of the word (i.e. high calibre, high level, teaching-focused engineering colleges), not the negative 1960s one ('university-lite' institutions).

I would prefer to see it as a 'research-led teaching done well = good ; applied, vocation-based teaching done well = good ; either of them done poorly = bad' thread.

Yup. I almost wonder if this is a high-profile decision intended to force the government's hand: set a slightly lower rate to boost recruitment, find that you can't run the place on the reduced income, and dare the government to let you go under when the crunch time comes.

It may backfire on them - the Apollo Group is supposed to be sniffing around

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Group

I'd be unsurprised to see a takeover, if not several, by a for-profit education company in the reasonably near future.

Looks like the Open University and International programs of the University of London will be more and more popular.

I will finish my law degree with the University of London in 2 months time - a 4 year course (part time) which cost just a shade under 6,000 pounds in total! (and that is while working and holding down a full time job)

Respect. I finished off my uni studies while working full time, and they were simple courses I took, just to get the points. It was a bloody nightmare trying to get the motivation to do it.

Says the university and college union.

Universities are another hot bed of over paid under worked quasi civil servants...why is this not being looked at rather than introducing student loans that no one will ever afford to repay..looks like another off balance sheet operation to hid the massive overspending.........

I'd be unsurprised to see a takeover, if not several, by a for-profit education company in the reasonably near future.

But private universities are not eligible for any research council or HEFCE funding, and their students are not able to apply for Student Loans Co. loans. That's why there is only one private university in the country (Buckingham). If you were a for-profit education provider, would you seriously contemplate taking over an institution with no reputation to speak of and having to attract thousands of students willing to pay a bare minimum of £8k a year, financed by loans at market rates, just to break even?