House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panda

Tv Licensing – Hard Tactics Bbc Again?

Talking to a work colleague, his brother lives in the North East, a large city, anyway, he and his girlfriend moved into a rented house about six months ago, they work, they pay rent, they pay council tax, etc etc. Never having rented before, either of them, so all honky dory……Anyway, by the sounds of it, he got as bee in his bonnet, by way of all of these threatening notices from the TV licensing people, quite abrupt, so each one drove him harder to not bother getting a license, not sure whether they actually have a TV, but I assume they have one.

Neither is registered to vote at the address, but they receive post. The house is one of these two up two downs, no access from the back unless you climb a wall, curtains always closed at the front, letter box privately concealed so nothing can be viewed from the outside. The house is a bit of a dive, looks quite down trodden from the outside apparently, but kids don’t care, just a place to sleep etc.

Just recently he got a notice saying, to expect a visit, he dug his heels in, no license, anyway last week, he and she were in bed, late afternoon, the door went, first a few knocks, they got louder and louder. Next they could hear someone trying to view through the letter box, they could hear fiddling, trying to get a look in. Anyway, apparently this is the interesting bit, they lay there thought sod them. Apparently who ever it was, but they started shoulder barging the door a couple of times, very load, about five times as if they were, who ever they were trying to get entry.

Definitely not any kind of debt retrieval agency, no notices of any kind in six months.

The kids were now getting worried, anyway, this stopped, and they have heard nothing since, but are these normal tactics I wonder. From what I can gather they are planning on moving soon, but it sounds like something out of the movies.

What’s anyone’s thoughts, I have never heard anything like this

Could it not just be a would-be burglar?

Middle of the day apparently, broad day light, busy road, full of students, shoppers, brave guy? Would you burgle a down trodden house?

Middle of the day apparently, broad day light, busy road, full of students, shoppers, brave guy? Would you burgle a down trodden house?

It was probably George Osbourne out looking for Cheridee.

Yes, far more likely than licence enforcement.

That was a lucky escape. Must be 10 years since I poltiely asked someone why the ****** he was trying to break in to my house, student area, broad daylight...

I would also report it to the police

I got done for not having a TV licence a few years ago. It was the stupidest thing ever.

The inspector guy gave me the option of either a fine or getting a licence there and then. I wnet for the licence. He then asked if I wanted to pay by direct debit which I apparently could do weekly. It was just a couple of quid. Signed the form, off he went, went down the bank a few days later and cancelled it. Never heard from him again.

Not sure if this loop hole still exists but assuming it does - nothing to be afraid of.

<br />Talking to a work colleague, his brother lives in the North East, a large city, anyway, he and his girlfriend moved into a rented house about six months ago, they work, they pay rent, they pay council tax, etc etc. Never having rented before, either of them, so all honky dory……Anyway, by the sounds of it, he got as bee in his bonnet, by way of all of these threatening notices from the TV licensing people, quite abrupt, so each one drove him harder to not bother getting a license, not sure whether they actually have a TV, but I assume they have one.<br /><br />Neither is registered to vote at the address, but they receive post. The house is one of these two up two downs, no access from the back unless you climb a wall, curtains always closed at the front, letter box privately concealed so nothing can be viewed from the outside. The house is a bit of a dive, looks quite down trodden from the outside apparently, but kids don't care, just a place to sleep etc.<br /><br />Just recently he got a notice saying, to expect a visit, he dug his heels in, no license, anyway last week, he and she were in bed, late afternoon, the door went, first a few knocks, they got louder and louder. Next they could hear someone trying to view through the letter box, they could hear fiddling, trying to get a look in. Anyway, apparently this is the interesting bit, they lay there thought sod them. Apparently who ever it was, but they started shoulder barging the door a couple of times, very load, about five times as if they were, who ever they were trying to get entry.<br /><br />Definitely not any kind of debt retrieval agency, no notices of any kind in six months.<br /><br />The kids were now getting worried, anyway, this stopped, and they have heard nothing since, but are these normal tactics I wonder. From what I can gather they are planning on moving soon, but it sounds like something out of the movies.<br /><br />What's anyone's thoughts, I have never heard anything like this<br />

I have similar 'problems'

Don't have TV - have dozens of threatening letters and so far at least 3 visits in 2 yrs - amounting to severe harrassment!

These twats work for a company called "Capita" and are 'bounty hunters' (paid Xtra bonuses on 'positive' results) - which is why they bang on your door to lure you out to try to trick you into admitting them into your house or admitting you watch/have TV

Don't talk to them.

Don't even tell them your name.

Don't let them into your house!

They dress up to look like coppers (to throw you off guard) with black coppers shoes, black coppers trousers, black jacket, black tie, white shirt etc

They use 'tactics' to wind you up - like you ring them up to tell them your name, no TV = no more visits a few dozen times, they agree

- then three months later they will start attacking you again, by sending letters to "The occupier" and sending bounty hunters/'inspectors' around to harrass you again!

Enjoy!

I got done for not having a TV licence a few years ago. It was the stupidest thing ever.

The inspector guy gave me the option of either a fine or getting a licence there and then. I wnet for the licence. He then asked if I wanted to pay by direct debit which I apparently could do weekly. It was just a couple of quid. Signed the form, off he went, went down the bank a few days later and cancelled it. Never heard from him again.

Not sure if this loop hole still exists but assuming it does - nothing to be afraid of.

Don't unreported direct debit cancellations effect your credit rating?

I'd say an attempted burglary, many loud knocks to ensure no one home then look for access to a key then force the door. Daytime is best for burglary, noone expects not to see people around houses and those who would are at home-most are at work.

TVL knock loud as if they can intimidate with a knock, I really hope I'm in the next time they call at ours (other half not so up front), they'll try and look through the letter box but trying to gain entry would see them doing a stretch for burglary just like anyone else who has no statutory powers but tries to pretend they do.

Get them on http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php and have a look around so they know thier rights.

The only license inspector to visit me was a recent immigrant from a sunny continent. He never got to see my license and by the time he got off the premises I reckon he was just relieved he wasn't dangling from a noose. He scuttled off down the street and I never saw him again. I'm guessing he won't call on houses with "BNP" signs in the future. :lol:

Er, no - not unless it's part of a credit agreement :|

I don't know but I find life much easier without credit, anybody harking over a credit rating should try it.

Obviously one day I'll need a mortgage but I can't imagine they turn down some-one with 50% deposite and borrowing only a couple of times a single income because of a cancelled direct debit.

Few years ago I had a flat in E17. Busy road lots of traffic opposite a pub.

Doorbell rang one afternoon about fiveish. I was in the back room on the phone and not expecting anyone ignored it.. Continued speaking to the other party for another couple of minutes and hang up. Walked into the hall and there was a big gap between the upvc door and its frame with what looked like a hand shovel in it. I shouted and it was quickly removed and the perp scarperred.

To be fair to the old bill they were there in about 3 minutes and searched the area. Didn't find didly squat though. They mentioned opportunist burglary occurs at any time day or night. There is a method they use to get thru a PVC framed door (with a correct tool) and they can be in in less than a minute. Provided the property is empty then are then at leisure to burgle as they wish.

This was almost certainly a potential burgler. Whilst the low lifes of BBC licence enforcement can be blamed for a lot of things Criminal Damage and breaking and entering is not yet anyway one of them.

Can we stop calling them 'TV Licensing' and refer to them as the 'BBC' from now on or 'BBC Revenue Collection Agency'

You don't have to have a license if you don't watch any live broadcasts.

I've got a PS3 with play TV so I can watch all the programs I want on BBC iPlayer, the More4 viewer and the ITV one.

You don't have to let the TV license preople in your house either.

Also, after their ludicrous £1,000 fine (grand) advert, the reality is that the average fine is only £151, just a little more that the actual license fee.

I don't think you are allowed to watch the streaming BBC news on the internet either if you don't have a license.

I've got a license at the moment but I don't think I'll be renewing it.

I have similar 'problems'

Don't have TV - have dozens of threatening letters and so far at least 3 visits in 2 yrs - amounting to severe harrassment!

Harrassment is exactly right! I don't have a TV either and receive a constant stream of intimidating but curiously vague letters with red outlines threatening court action, home visits, large fines etc. Many of these come in brown enveloped with "Notification of legal action" and other such rubbish on the outside. The postman must think I am in a state of severe financial distress! If I started to post letters like this to old ladies who don't owe me a penny I would be up before the old beak in no time, but apparently when the BBC does it it's fine.

Harrassment is exactly right! I don't have a TV either and receive a constant stream of intimidating but curiously vague letters with red outlines threatening court action, home visits, large fines etc. Many of these come in brown enveloped with "Notification of legal action" and other such rubbish on the outside. The postman must think I am in a state of severe financial distress! If I started to post letters like this to old ladies who don't owe me a penny I would be up before the old beak in no time, but apparently when the BBC does it it's fine.

My business has been harassed although I do not watch TV in my office. When I complained I was told the onus was on me to prove I do not watch TV ion my PC...surely its time to break up this fat cat monolith?

trying to gain entry would see them doing a stretch for burglary just like anyone else who has no statutory powers but tries to pretend they do.

Me and may dad have a running debate about this. He's worked for the post office for a long time and used to drive the tele detector van, I suppose back when the Post Office administered it (we're talking mid 80's here). He claims that TV licencing have statutory powers of entry, and he knows this because he's used them.

I claim they don't.

Have TVL at any point had statutory powers of entry? I don't think they do now, but they might have in the past.