House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
General Belgrano

Landlord Convicted

Hi all,

I just found out my Landlord has been convicted of a serious crime and has gone inside for a long stretch. I don't want to be too specific about the details, but it involved an unlawful killing in an accident, but blame was given to the LL's actions. (He was a good landlord, but it seemed he made a serious mistake and a life was lost and he has to do time. Apart from the rental agreement I have no other connection with him and feel bad for everyone involved in the tragedy)

Anyway, I'm just about to sign a further years lease (still waiting for the HPC) and wanted to know if there could be any consequences for me? I understand that the family of the deceased may attempt legal action against my Landlord, compensation for their loss of a loved one. Could Bailiffs come to my home? How can I legally protect myself?

Many thanks for any replies...

General

Hi all,

I just found out my Landlord has been convicted of a serious crime and has gone inside for a long stretch. I don't want to be too specific about the details, but it involved an unlawful killing in an accident, but blame was given to the LL's actions. (He was a good landlord, but it seemed he made a serious mistake and a life was lost and he has to do time. Apart from the rental agreement I have no other connection with him and feel bad for everyone involved in the tragedy)

Anyway, I'm just about to sign a further years lease (still waiting for the HPC) and wanted to know if there could be any consequences for me? I understand that the family of the deceased may attempt legal action against my Landlord, compensation for their loss of a loved one. Could Bailiffs come to my home? How can I legally protect myself?

Many thanks for any replies...

General

I dont think you have anything to worry about.

The worst I imagine for you, is that there is legal action against the landlord, and he loses title over the place you are renting. The new owners might want you out. That though, would take time, and may well not happen. The certainly cannot take anything that belongs to you without risking a bit of bird themselves.

Would hold off on signing an extension until the situation is clearer - what's to be gained?

Guess it might be a bit tough getting any repairs done though.

Guess it might be a bit tough getting any repairs done though.

Exactly - how is he going to manage the property from behind bars? I'd be inclined to insist that any renewed AST includes a clause nominating a named individual, who is not in jail (e.g. an LA), to act on behalf of, and to assume all the responsibilities of the LL.

The only other thing I'd be slightly worried about is the possibility that the LL's victim's family, or their supporters, might decide to take some illegal action as well, possibly of the sort that involves a molotov cocktail through the letterbox.