House Price Crash Forum
Guest_ringledman_*

Anyone Renewed Car Insurance Recently?

Looks like massive inflation on car insurance quotes...

25% up on last year despite a lower car valuation.

Anyone else renewed recently???

I renewed with Admiral two months ago. Up by only several quid, which was a relief.

A friend of mine who leases an Audi A6 had his premium doubled from about 700 to 1400. Not nice. He hasn't mentioned having done anything in that year to mark him as an increased risk.

Have you tried shopping for a better quote?

(Edit: fixing cut/paste/browser weirdness)

Edited by Horridbloke

Lady from my work had a thankfully minor prang(flimsy car + kid in the back) when someone ran into the back of her, not injured beyond a slightly stiff neck, Hey Presto £4k Personal Injury claim. Not a bad person as such, just living month to month, and a bit dim. Free money..

The Government ought to take a lead from the Isle of Man and outlaw conditional fee arrangements for such claims.

Renewed for a little less than last year. Got a cashback deal, but still waiting for that payment.

I got a bit less than last year, although I had to use the meercats since my current one wanted to stiff me with a 50% increase.

I don't think I've ever had the same car insurer more than 2 years in a row, and I've changed it every year for the last 5 years.

Looks like massive inflation on car insurance quotes...

25% up on last year despite a lower car valuation.

Anyone else renewed recently???

Was this from your existing insurer? There is no loyalty respect these days. They think you won't bother to change and push the rates up.

I obtained a quote from my existing insurer as a new customer and the quote was much reduced, back to almost what I paid the year before.

I then shopped around and got it cheaper. So much so I paid for the whole year and saved more money. The existing was Aviva (who I had been with for years when they were Norwich Union, and the new deal was Churchill).

Apparently the big problem is minor injuries claims. Television adverts promising compensation on the flimsiest of causes, unsolicited callers asking if you've had an accident recently.

The most annoying advert on television: 'I've had an accident' with a little bear type creature. He certainly would have an accident if I ever encountered him.

The only solution is for insurance applicants to waive the right to claim for minor injuries which would bring the price down. Obviously it's different if you're seriously injured in an accident which stops you from working.

Was this from your existing insurer? There is no loyalty respect these days. They think you won't bother to change and push the rates up.

No just using the comparison sites. Likewise I never stay with the same insurer.

It's not due for renwal for a month but shocked at the figures so far.

Haven't shopped around for a few years, for various reasons. Thought I would do this year, and got a reduction of nearly 70%.

Soon to be coming to a house price near you.

True story, and not invented to neatly bring this round to house prices (honest!)

£224 last year £264 this year after first being quoted £298 with Aviva

no claims last 5 years full no claims discount.

Their levels of their remuneration are just mere coincidence. It's like the person brainwashed by the media earlier in the thread said "it's injury claims", we never had them before don'tcha know?

Aviva

Andrew Moss, Group Chief Executive

Basic Salary £925,000

ABP £1,029,294 (111.3% of basic salary)

OATTV Plan £501,443

LTIP – Face Value of grant £1,618,750

ACAP £462,500

http://www.aviva.com/library/reports/2009ar/downloads/directors_remuneration_report.pdf

Share options?

20% increase on mazda mx5 even after searching online. Never claimed in 25 years. Seriously pissed off and considering losing nice motor I only use for cruising peak district in nice weather. Who the f**k claims? No one in may family or anyone I work with

I can only guess as money gets tighter:

-Less people buying insurance.

-More car break-ins, vandalism, thefts of cars.

-More cars are not maintained/ people putting off repairs, increasing likely hood of accidents.

-More fraudulent claims.

All this and more priced in to your premiums.

Edited by Money Spinner

I'm 23, 2 yrs NCD, clean license 5yrs.

Third Party Fire & Theft

Renewal today, £2044

Was £1095 last year

I should note I changed car last month and the pro-rata rate for my new car worked out at an extra £/1day until my renewal.

(Went from 1.7 Astra to 1.8 focus, both 2002)

Cheapest quote from the comparison website is £1,800

:( Jacked it right up for me. I will be paying the annual premium out of my savings, the monthly payment 'credit' charge (10%) works out at £205 for the year ! :blink:

This is Churchill by the way

Edited by jones87

Mrs Miyagi had a renewal notice from Swift Cover up from £400 to £800, that was on a 10 year old Peugeot. Needless to say she won't be renewing.

Over 100% inflation for me.

£297 last year, cheapest quote £601 this year (via renewal). Minimum quote via a broker was nearly £900.

TPFT, 6k miles, 34yo, clean license, 1997 Hyundai Lantra.

7y no claims.

(Actually, I've never claimed, but 2 years ago, I went via a broker, and they got me an insurance policy which only recognised 5 years no claims. I didn't think this would be a problem - but at the end of the year, when they sent the renewal documents, my entitlement was listed as 5 years (maximum) - which means when I changed insurer, I no longer had my 10 years NCD, it had been reduced to 5)

Unbelievable.

Edited by ChumpusRex

I can only guess as money gets tighter:

-Less people buying insurance.

-More car break-ins, vandalism, thefts of cars.

-More cars are not maintained/ people putting off repairs, increasing likely hood of accidents.

-More fraudulent claims.

All this and more priced in to your premiums.

I assume there's a tax advantage in transferring losses from other parts of their business/portfolios on to their vehicle insurance operations.

No idea, but I reckon the line about increased legal and compensation costs driving the ramp ups in premiums is a tired excuse.

Edited by okaycuckoo

I opened a letter from 1stQuote yesterday upon returning from a weeks holiday. They have apparently cancelled my insurance. No reason given, no phone call, no email to resolve any issues. So it turns out I was driving over 1000 miles without insurance thanks to these utter muppets.

I suspect the issue was related to direct debits, since they over-complicated things way back and I have swapped bank accounts. But regardless of the reason, what appalling service.

I will take this opportunity to shop around for a better deal. I only stayed with them through laziness anyway.

I opened a letter from 1stQuote yesterday upon returning from a weeks holiday. They have apparently cancelled my insurance. No reason given, no phone call, no email to resolve any issues. So it turns out I was driving over 1000 miles without insurance thanks to these utter muppets..

Assuming you haven't done anything to invalidate your insurance, is that even legal?

I opened a letter from 1stQuote yesterday upon returning from a weeks holiday. They have apparently cancelled my insurance. No reason given, no phone call, no email to resolve any issues. So it turns out I was driving over 1000 miles without insurance thanks to these utter muppets.

I suspect the issue was related to direct debits, since they over-complicated things way back and I have swapped bank accounts. But regardless of the reason, what appalling service.

I will take this opportunity to shop around for a better deal. I only stayed with them through laziness anyway.

Had exactly the same thing happen with Privilege. It was worse as I was living in a block of flats where the mail would go missing from time to time.

Out of the blue, they just sent a letter (not recorded, just regular 1st class) apparently saying that my insurance had been cancelled. I only found out about it about 6 weeks later, when I got a letter threatening legal action, if I did not return 'their property' (the insurance certificate).

They were so rude when I rang them it was astonishing. I asked why the policy had been cancelled: "You didn't pay for it".

"I did. I paid with a credit card"

"No. That payment was declined"

"Really, I saw the payment on my statement."

[Goes to check statement - turns out I'd seen the statement for the breakdown cover which I'd bought at the same time on the same phone call - actual policy hadn't gone through]

"No. You didn't pay"

"So, you could have let me know before cancelling the policy"

"We did. We sent you 2 letters."

"Really? What dates?"

[1 date about 10 days after I bought the policy, apparently telling me my policy had been cancelled, and the 2nd letter was the one threatening legal action]

"So. You didn't send me 2 warning letters. Why are you lieing to me?"

"I'm not lieing."

[snip]

"So, why didn't you call me, or send a recorded letter, or send me a text, or an e-mail?"

"We don't do business by e-mail or text. Do you think we have time to call every single deadbeat who doesn't pay their bills?"

"But I offered to pay. You had the credit card details. You didn't take the money"

"We tried multiple times - your card was declined"

[i later checked with the bank - who confirmed in writing that they had declined no transactions, and that they had no records of any attempted transaction]

Over 100% inflation for me.

£297 last year, cheapest quote £601 this year (via renewal). Minimum quote via a broker was nearly £900.

TPFT, 6k miles, 34yo, clean license, 1997 Hyundai Lantra.

7y no claims.

(Actually, I've never claimed, but 2 years ago, I went via a broker, and they got me an insurance policy which only recognised 5 years no claims. I didn't think this would be a problem - but at the end of the year, when they sent the renewal documents, my entitlement was listed as 5 years (maximum) - which means when I changed insurer, I no longer had my 10 years NCD, it had been reduced to 5)

Unbelievable.

They can't do that. Similar thing happened to me and I got my then insurance company to write a letter reinstating my then 9years NCD and promptly moved insurer.

I've just renewed my motor insurance, last year it was £70TPF&T and the renewal quote was £130 (now 11years no claims) - I found it very difficult to get the price down shopping around however found a fully comp deal with NCD bonus protection and legal cover for 44pence more so £130.44p