House Price Crash Forum
AskFrank

Calling The Bottom

I'll be saying in 6 months ...I told you so. ;)

Look around. The media will catch up eventually, but by then it will be too late for many with limited deposits and those with hopes of a bigger property.

Look around. The media will catch up eventually, but by then it will be too late for many with limited deposits and those with hopes of a bigger property.

Remember Daddy Bear? He of the signature?

Bought at the bottom of the early 2009 trough, calling a bottom. Pretty good call, even if it wasn't a global bottom.

Not so here (SE England). We looked round 2 houses yesterday, one of them had had 5 viewings since October. So rocketing market here in the home counties...

I disagree. Im in Colchester and look around closely:

The number of unsold properties newly listed or reduced in the last 7 (200 properties) to 14 days (400 properties) within a 5 mile radius are at July 2010 levels.

2 local EAs appear to have went bust - their premises are up for sale.

Around half of properties for sale have been reduced.

The number of available rental properties is climbing.

I guess we'll see what happens in 6 months ... ;)

I must have missed the sudden huge drop in unemployment, increase in SMI, the relaxation of banks' lending criteria, tax cuts etc. And to think, I thought I had my finger on the pulse...

Really AF, you're sounding more like sibley by the day.

Depends on where you live - still falling here in NI

I don't know when I last saw an estate agent with a customer in it --- bursting with brochures but no buyers.

And only just beginning here in England.

I guess desperate VI's will try anything to get FTBs through the door.

Think this one is more a case of reducing cognitive disonance (IIRC he recently bought :lol: ).

It the same way on here many called the top from 2002 to 2007 there will be many calling the bottom. I bought in 2002 fully expecting it was 50/50 on it being a good financial decision, it was at the bubble boundary of 4 x average income and the correct policy decision could have nipped it in the bud with limited pain. I sold in 07 when the bulls were in force saying that because people had been calling the top for so long we were in a new paradigm and that it would never fall.

I'll see you in 6 month, we will either be in that new paradigm or we will be on our way to working out the excesses of the biggest property bubble in history.

d8bbc21b.jpg

Edited by Confounded

Depends on where you live - still falling here in NI

I don't know when I last saw an estate agent with a customer in it --- bursting with brochures but no buyers.

+ 1

A pent-up supply is flooding the market here in the south, south-east and London.

Prices will fall like a stone here this year. :)

I'd be more interested to hear what you have to say in 6 years.

The course is set, just a matter of how long government subsidies can put off the pain. It will be agonising, with debtors suffering misguided expectations similar to savers hoping for base rate increases.

+ 1

A pent-up supply is flooding the market here in the south, south-east and London.

Prices will fall like a stone here this year. :)

Hmm. Easy with the sweeping generalisations.

Here in N2 prices are rising faster than I can increase my deposit. It's ludicrous. And that's because of very limited supply. No 'flooding' here, I'm afraid.

Anything remotely decent goes within a week and the next one that comes on is 25K more. And on it goes.

You could argue this is a bubble upon a bubble but with 30-something couples selling up their two 300K+ flats in nearby Islington and wanting to start families, this area is fast becoming unaffordable to the average Mr & Mrs Red...

I am going to stake my avatar reputation on this:

We will see the bottom this year in around six-12 months time. Whole streets will be for sale for literally 2-1 at todays prices and some people may struggle to give their houses away. The dissapont for this bunch of HPCers is that it will be mostly the dregs and nothing that you or I would want to live in let alone own.

I am going to stake my avatar reputation on this:

We will see the bottom this year in around six-12 months time. Whole streets will be for sale for literally 2-1 at todays prices and some people may struggle to give their houses away. The dissapont for this bunch of HPCers is that it will be mostly the dregs and nothing that you or I would want to live in let alone own.

I'd agree both with you and the previous poster certainly in one respect - the cr@p end of the market is still going down the pan, while house prices in much of London are conversely going through the roof. Rich getting richer and poor getting poorer. Plus inflow of hot money from overseas for various reasons - regime instability, bottom picking investors etc.

I'm intrigued to know how far this divergence of the top and bottom 1 percentile can go before something gives. Historically, my perception is that under a Tory govt., the divergence widened, and under a following Labour govt., it narrowed again with punitive tax rises for the rich etc. But the Blair years changed all that, the divergence carried on widening, and with Cameron/Osborne, the gap is further accelerating now.

One thing's for sure - the only E.A.'s shutting up shop around this neck of the woods (and there aren't very many), seeem to be those who focussed on the lower to mid sector of the market. The likes of Stags, Marchad Petit et al. who have a strong presence in the banker's bonus "Snob & Countryside" sector of the market seem to be surviving very nicely thank you.

Not a great time to trade up from a £80k grotbox to a £2.5m. luxuriously appointed pile with breathtaking panaramic coastal views. Especially at a time when the current going rate seems to be about £100k per adjective. :o

* footnote - mod software wouldn't let me say "S-w-a-n-k and C-o-u-n-t-r-y-s-i-d-e" ... can't imagine why.