House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
South Lorne

57% Support Government Cuts Only 35% Say Too Far

...not quite the way it comes over in the general media...especially the BBC.... <_<

Despite Saturday's protest march in London, public tolerance of cuts seems to be sustained. Only 35% think the plans go too far – a 10-point drop since ICM asked the question in November. Meanwhile 28% think the government has found the right balance and 29% say the cuts are not severe enough. That amounts to 57% support for current cuts or more.

apologies if posted already

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/mar/25/voters-cuts-coalition-poll

Yet another example of the vocal minority making the news. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that published in the Guardian though, although their headline does follow with "...but cool on Coalition".

Indeed. 500k marching isnt even 25% of Public sector nonjobbers.

They can hold the taxpayer/saver/future generations to ransom all they want.

Doesnt mean theyre right.

Their argument seems to be simply that the bankers got a free pass so therefore we should too.

OJ got away with murder, doesnt mean we should unlock the prisons.

Start lynchings of actual bankers and Ajay ahuja/Grant Bovey types, thats something i'd support.

People don't have a problem with the cuts, their problem is with the even-handedness of them. Cuddling up to the bankers while proclaiming 'we're all in this together' is just a bit galling. Anyway, I'm sure this point has been made before..... :rolleyes:

Economy tanked?!

Where have you been the last ten years? We dont make anything, we've run out of oil and gas, we've got millions of graduates with worthless bits of paper, maybe serving pints if theyre lucky.

No amount of paying people bits of paper to sit in public jobs to tell us if we've got the right mix of blacks, lesians and muslims, that we're emitting 22% too many carbons and the siting of the blue filing cabinet could present a threat to health and safety is going to resucitate the economy.

How exactly did liebours spending plans promote growth, real wealth, not the phony GDP inflation growth.

Its making stuff that will get us out of the doldrums, which is impossible because both parties are commited to protectionism against British industry.

The 35 % was all the lefties who run the BBCC

if 25% work in the public sector, and some more do private contracts exclusively FOR the public sector, then 35% sounds like Brown's client state asking for more money

you're very mixed up aren't you

work in the public sector, got a big mortgage?

Nope, private sector abroad, renting, with large cash surplus waiting for further price crashes either UK or in Spain to buy. But that doesn't mean that I don't recognise that what is good for me personally is not necessarily good for the country.

The fact that Thatcher's experiment, and its continuation by Blair has destroyed the country causes me no end of anger. But it's actually in my personal interests that the tories further wreck the thing, as it is for most of the STR crowd on here (of which I'm not part, as I miraculously ******ed up my credit rating when I was a student, and so avoided getting into real debt when I started working).

People don't have a problem with the cuts, their problem is with the even-handedness of them. Cuddling up to the bankers while proclaiming 'we're all in this together' is just a bit galling. Anyway, I'm sure this point has been made before..... :rolleyes:

...you are in the 35% against....where would you cut...you are like Red Ed and Odd ball(s) ...mouth on a about too fast and in the wrong place ....but in the end you are part of the problem because you don't have an idea in your head...you are the problem.... :rolleyes:

The high cost of housing is why the economy is in trouble. A housing collapse will, long-term, prevent the 'mad max wasteland'. This is the point missed by most.

Right now we have massive house prices plus no jobs, and no money to fund government services. I think most people here want the money from one to be spent on the other, or at least some combination of the other.

The trouble with the protests is that the government cuts are a distraction from the real issues. Where were these protesters when the economy was being trashed? Were they remortgaging to buy an SUV? Building a BTL empire?

Also, public sector workers with houses bought before about 2001 have nothing to complain about. I find the wailing from those people extremely offensive.

...you are in the 35% against....where would you cut...you are like Red Ed and Odd ball(s) ...mouth on a about too fast and in the wrong place ....but in the end you are part of the problem because you don't have an idea in your head...you are the problem.... :rolleyes:

Can you actually read......point out where I said I was against the cuts......:rolleyes:

Edited by shipbuilder

Can you actually read......point out where I said I was against the cuts......:rolleyes:

...you proclaim the cuts are not even-handed without outlining an alternative ...that is a negative response without an alternative solution ...real hide behind the sofa stuff similar to Red Ed ....you need to stand up and sell your case...or become as stated part of problem... <_<

...you proclaim the cuts are not even-handed without outlining an alternative ...that is a negative response without an alternative solution ...real hide behind the sofa stuff similar to Red Ed ....you need to stand up and sell your case...or become as stated part of problem... <_<

Don't think so, read it again. Like I said, people don't have a problem with the cuts....however for further understanding, I'll add that what they are annoyed about is the lack of pain being felt by the banking sector.

My personal view would be complete reform of the tax and benefits system - scrapping and replacing with LVT and a citizen's income and a re-evaluation of what should be in the public sector and how it is funded and run. Unfortunately we'll never get anything beyond a few budgets slashed.

Now let's hear your ideas?

Don't think so, read it again. Like I said, people don't have a problem with the cuts....however for further understanding, I'll add that what they are annoyed about is the lack of pain being felt by the banking sector.

My personal view would be complete reform of the tax and benefits system - scrapping and replacing with LVT and a citizen's income and a re-evaluation of what should be in the public sector and how it is funded and run. Unfortunately we'll never get anything beyond a few budgets slashed.

LVT coupled with an employment rebate, i.e. a sliding scale based on how many people you employ and how much you increase how many you employ for starters.

A register of domestic property bought for commercial gain (BTL) with a license fee payable upon purchase of the property 10% and sale of the property 10%

Thats just to start with

Because it is the nassssty tories making the cuts?

Just been having an argument (facew*nk) with somebody who reckons the cuts are all the nasty bankers fault.

My dad still blames it on the greedy estate agents :lol:

..well done.... :) ...I am all in favour of adding to the current strategy a complete ban on Bank Bonuses for Banks who are owned by the tax payer ...the bonuses should be paid direct to the public purse ...after all it is our due return...you don't get bonuses for going bust....I would also support retrospective tax on all working graduate adults who obtained free University tuition in the UK and recover the fees.... :)

Economy tanked?!

Where have you been the last ten years? We dont make anything, we've run out of oil and gas, we've got millions of graduates with worthless bits of paper, maybe serving pints if theyre lucky.

No amount of paying people bits of paper to sit in public jobs to tell us if we've got the right mix of blacks, lesians and muslims, that we're emitting 22% too many carbons and the siting of the blue filing cabinet could present a threat to health and safety is going to resucitate the economy.

How exactly did liebours spending plans promote growth, real wealth, not the phony GDP inflation growth.

Its making stuff that will get us out of the doldrums, which is impossible because both parties are commited to protectionism against British industry.

Perfect summary, thank you.