House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Flatdog

Anyone On Here Read This?

I picked up a copy of 'The Hopeless Life of Charlie Summers' by Paul Torbay from our local library a few days ago and read it this morning.

Feeling much better now.

I picked up a copy of 'The Hopeless Life of Charlie Summers' by Paul Torbay from our local library a few days ago and read it this morning.

Feeling much better now.

not even heard of it

is something to take to Spain in the summer, read by the pool in rented villa now worth 40% of what the owner paid - my commiserations- while sipping sangria?

not even heard of it

is something to take to Spain in the summer, read by the pool in rented villa now worth 40% of what the owner paid - my commiserations- while sipping sangria?

Well, why not try reading the book ?

I once went ski-ing and read "All Quiet on the Western Front" followed by "A Day in the Life of Ivan Ivanisovich" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn and "Wild Swans" by Jung Chang.

Sort of makes you realise that financial crises and house prices are nothing really. A pretty gorey lot but highly, highly recommended.

Fair enough, nevertheless, I had never heard of Paul Torday until a few days ago, can't help but feel that he is a kindred spirit.

It would be useful if the OP had told us what the book was about, had given us a short review of it and then given us his/her thoughts on it.

I am off to google it now but... oh, the description on Amazon makes it sound incredibly dull to me.

Feeling much better now.

...is your name Paul Torday.....?... :)

It would be useful if the OP had told us what the book was about, had given us a short review of it and then given us his/her thoughts on it.

I am off to google it now but... oh, the description on Amazon makes it sound incredibly dull to me.

"This is very much a novel for our times. It tells of a world in which "for a while it seemed as if the music would never stop ... Then, somewhere, someone, asked a new question. It was: 'Can I have my money back?' We didn't know it then, but the money that had come out of nowhere was about to return to the same place …"

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/-Book-review-The-Hopeless.6069302.jp

"This is very much a novel for our times. It tells of a world in which "for a while it seemed as if the music would never stop ... Then, somewhere, someone, asked a new question. It was: 'Can I have my money back?' We didn't know it then, but the money that had come out of nowhere was about to return to the same place …"

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/-Book-review-The-Hopeless.6069302.jp

...good review ...might be worth a read ...must check the library .. :)

Charlie Sumner is Lola's brother. I don't see the relevance to house prices.

..RS's quote from the Scotsman's review a couple of posts back suggests the link to the economy and HPI/HPC.... :)