House Price Crash Forum
Liquidity

Moving To The North West -- Where To Buy In Stockport (First Time Buyer)

Hi,

I am a young professional (with a partner) on the look for a nice 2/3 bedroom house (preferably semi detached), with a view to buy towards the end of 2011. My budget is 150K.

I am not from the North West but have always been fond of the Manchester region. I have chosen Stockport, primarily because I hear it is a nice place to live and it is conveniently situated close to the A6 / A623. I will be commuting from Stockport to Chesterfield on a daily basis (40 miles), which is why I need to be around that side of Manchester, as opposed to the north side.

Q1) Could you please advise as to where I should be looking in Stockport? Is my budget is realistic?

Q2) Could you also pelase advise if Stockport is a good place to buy a first home amid that region.? I am in it for the long term and want to buy a house in a location where there is a likelihood of the property gaining substantial value in the coming 5 to 8 years.

Q3) I would also consider other areas, so long as they 1) Fall under Manchester/Greater Manchester and 2) Are not too far from Chesterfield (i.e. under 50miles). Any ideas?

Many thanks

Liquidity

"...buy a house in a location where there is a likelihood of the property gaining substantial value in the coming 5 to 8 years".

:rolleyes:

Here's hoping that in 5 to 8 years we won't have people looking to acquiring substantial money just by buying and selling a house.

Have you done a trial run of the commute? That sounds a nightmare run to me - unless you're going well outside peak hours. Certainly don't rely on Google Directions distances etc when involving the A6!

You don't say where your partner works/will work.

If east Stockport is feasible then it depends what type of area you're looking for I guess. Disley, Marple, New Mills, Poynton don't exactly feel like they're part of a cosmopolitan sprawl - think closer to Last of the Summer Wine to some degree. If you want loads of bars, restaurants etc then you're going to be disappointed. If you're older and thinking about kids etc then those areas might be right up your street.

I don't think you'll find many people expecting house prices to go up noticeably (if at all) over the next 5-8 years - as the site tit;e might imply!

likelihood of the property gaining substantial value in the coming 5 to 8 years.

Is this a wind-up?

Not at all. Though the site title implies negativity by nature, I am hopeful of an economic recovery. Post five years I do hope to see a rise in property values from what they are now. Perhaps the word "substantial" is misplaced! My apologies.

Have you done a trial run of the commute? That sounds a nightmare run to me - unless you're going well outside peak hours. Certainly don't rely on Google Directions distances etc when involving the A6!

If east Stockport is feasible then it depends what type of area you're looking for I guess. Disley, Marple, New Mills, Poynton don't exactly feel like they're part of a cosmopolitan sprawl - think closer to Last of the Summer Wine to some degree. If you want loads of bars, restaurants etc then you're going to be disappointed. If you're older and thinking about kids etc then those areas might be right up your street.

I don't think you'll find many people expecting house prices to go up noticeably (if at all) over the next 5-8 years - as the site tit;e might imply!

I haven't yet done the trial run. I intend to do it in the coming weeks.

Is the A6 a nightmare?

The run to chesterfield is not overly reliant on the A6 though according to google maps. It is 14 miles on the A6 and then the remaining 25 miles on the A623. Tell me more about the A6? Am I heading for a nightmare. Oh God.

I haven't yet done the trial run. I intend to do it in the coming weeks.

Is the A6 a nightmare?

The run to chesterfield is not overly reliant on the A6 though according to google maps. It is 14 miles on the A6 and then the remaining 25 miles on the A623. Tell me more about the A6? Am I heading for a nightmare. Oh God.

A6 carries huge quantities of stone wagons through quaint peak district towns, can be very slow. A623 is slightly better, but at least 50% of the time there is police speed trap somewhere along it. Also hoards of biker on a sunny day.

Take at least an hour from Stockport. Living in high lane/ disley (were we are) will knock time of the journey, but you get less for your money and they are a bit sleepy as others have said.

Poynton is the nicest place that side of Stockport in my opinion (without getting further out of town) and has a (30 min ish?) train into Manchester. Good residential area, by the canal/green space and a few decent places to eat/shop. Anywhere else that are viewed as the more desirable residential areas (Bramhall, Cheadle Hulme, Hale, Didsbury etc) will make that commute even more painful.

Also have you looked at houses online yet? South of Manchester/Stockport suburbs are phenomenally expensive for the better areas

What kind of area are you looking for? It makes a big difference whether you're both 23 with no kids, or older 'young professional' looking to settle down and have a family. In your shoes I'd be looking towards Sheffield unless your partner's work location pushes towards Stock/Manc. 150k will very quickly be tested

Poynton is the nicest place that side of Stockport in my opinion (without getting further out of town) and has a (30 min ish?) train into Manchester. Good residential area, by the canal/green space and a few decent places to eat/shop. Anywhere else that are viewed as the more desirable residential areas (Bramhall, Cheadle Hulme, Hale, Didsbury etc) will make that commute even more painful.

Also have you looked at houses online yet? South of Manchester/Stockport suburbs are phenomenally expensive for the better areas

What kind of area are you looking for? It makes a big difference whether you're both 23 with no kids, or older 'young professional' looking to settle down and have a family. In your shoes I'd be looking towards Sheffield unless your partner's work location pushes towards Stock/Manc. 150k will very quickly be tested

+1 for Sheffield. It's not all grim up north.

Unless the OP has some sort of emotional / work tie to Manchester (you're not a ManU supporter are you - don't answer that!) then the commute through the peak district will be a killer. Summer it will be full of bikers and tourists, winter it can sometimes be impassable due to snow/ice. Often the speed limit is 50 rather than 60 and there are loads of speed cameras.

Personally I would rent first for at least 6 months to get an idea of if the commute is bearable and learn about the various areas around south Manchester.

A6 carries huge quantities of stone wagons through quaint peak district towns, can be very slow. A623 is slightly better, but at least 50% of the time there is police speed trap somewhere along it. Also hoards of biker on a sunny day.

Take at least an hour from Stockport. Living in high lane/ disley (were we are) will knock time of the journey, but you get less for your money and they are a bit sleepy as others have said.

Thanks for the insight into the A6.

I would be happy with an hour journey each way. Beyond 1 hour 20 mins would be a pain.

I have had a look at houses online and done some research into the various postcodes. It appears aside from the wilmslow and cheadle hulme side, the other postcodes look good. I have an interest in the Hazel Grove area.

We are both 27 years old. No kids. Outgoing people. Didsbury would be ideal but it is far too expensive, nothing decent below 200k and it would make the commute a misery.

I have considered Sheffield but I am biased towards Manchester because I went to University there.

+1 for Sheffield. It's not all grim up north.

Unless the OP has some sort of emotional / work tie to Manchester (you're not a ManU supporter are you - don't answer that!) then the commute through the peak district will be a killer. Summer it will be full of bikers and tourists, winter it can sometimes be impassable due to snow/ice. Often the speed limit is 50 rather than 60 and there are loads of speed cameras.

Personally I would rent first for at least 6 months to get an idea of if the commute is bearable and learn about the various areas around south Manchester.

Not sure about Sheffield mate. In my view after London, Manchester is the most vibrant city. Birmingham a close third. Sheffield a distant dreamer.

My attachment to Manchester comes from my student days. I haven't been back since but have kept an eye on developments, the city has progressed and it seems like the a good place to buy a first property.

The commute is a real pain. Like I said to the other poster, I would be happy with a 1hr 20 minute commute but beyond that I would consider a pain. These early signs of the A6 and A623 are not looking promising.

Other than Manchester/Stockport, the only place I have an interest in is Nottingham, which is a sweet 30 minute drive to work.

Not sure about Sheffield mate. In my view after London, Manchester is the most vibrant city. Birmingham a close third. Sheffield a distant dreamer.

My attachment to Manchester comes from my student days. I haven't been back since but have kept an eye on developments, the city has progressed and it seems like the a good place to buy a first property.

The commute is a real pain. Like I said to the other poster, I would be happy with a 1hr 20 minute commute but beyond that I would consider a pain. These early signs of the A6 and A623 are not looking promising.

Other than Manchester/Stockport, the only place I have an interest in is Nottingham, which is a sweet 30 minute drive to work.

Fair enough, I went to Uni in Sheffield and it was pretty good - there are two unis there so loads of students. But it's nowhere near as big as Manchester.

Another one from Stockport here..the A6 is particularly bad in the morning rush hour between the Rising Sun(Hazel Grove) and Stockport,but fortunately you'll be going in the opposite direction.Not keen on Hazel Grove myself,but High Lane (where I was brought up),is doable for £150/160 for a semi-detached.(There's a few on Rightmove..I'd pick Russell Avenue out of the selection.)Nice respectable place,good schools,nice canal,good pubs,and a long off-road cycle trail if you have kids.Disley's also affordable,and a nice village.Further out are villages with stone houses(New Mills,Furness Vale,Whaley Bridge etc which straddle the A6) Marple,Romiley and Woodley in Stockport are good too(avoid the houses on ex-Council Estates though.)The last 3 areas,you can go via back roads to Marple Bridge and then New Mills,and join the A6 there to head towards Buxton.The "average" parts inside Stockport I wouldn't bother with(Edgeley,where I live,Heaton Norris,Reddish etc) I wouldn't bother with,,they're getting chavvier every year.Concentrate on the villagey areas.Worth spending a Sunday having a good look round the above.

Mate - you really, really need to take the advice above. Do a trial run of the commute at 7.30am then see how you feel.

Ideally I'd say try it in February but too late for that ! Just make sure your car has fog lights and the heater / fan works :) Seriously though the countryside is beautiful if you like that kind of thing.

Google says 1hr 10 but you'd be looking at a bit more than that I think in rush hour.

All recommendations above are good. If you can handle the commute, I'd go for Marple (I wouldn't go any closer to Stocky than that if you need to make it to Chesterfield every day). You can get something reasonable for 150K in any of those areas.

Also have a look at Buxton if that's near enough for your other half.

As mentioned they all suit someone closer to 50 than 30 - all have good schools etc and are nice places to grow up.

New Mills/Disley feel more out in the sticks than Marple & Poynton with the plusses and minuses you'd expect from that.

I'd say Marple/Disley + eastwards would be doable from a commute perspective (Poynton at a push??) but these feel like stone Derbyshire villages - you won't feel like you're living in Greater Manchester if that's what you're after. When I was 27 they would have felt too 'old' for me, but everyone's different of course - your priorities may be green space, smaller communities and good local pubs.

The run through the peaks is a hell of a lot more attractive than most people's commutes, but as another poster mentioned, that road is full of speed cameras and can get busier than you might expect.

If you're hoping to stay there up to 8 years, that will put you at 35 so you may be glad you've chosen someone more 'family friendly'....who knows.

Poynton would be a good compromise. You could get a 2 bed for 150k, Poynton itself is a decent enough place; right side for your commute; train link into Manc/Stock; Bramhall nearby for more bars/restaurants etc. However, Poynton may just tip the commute into an uncomfortable distance.

If you want to feel like part of a city rather than village, then I'd look at Nott/Sheffield. For me, Sheffield would be far preferable but I'm sure others would prefer Notts.

In your shoes I'd do a trial run at 7:30 am on a Monday. If you can handle the commute then rent for 6-12 months and get a feel for the area. You're unlikely to be in a worse situation regarding house prices, and it could avoid you rushing into the wrong house/location

I hadn't put Poynton on my list;nothing wrong with the place,but as far as I recall,you can't cut through to the A6 from there.If I've remembered correctly,you have to drive down to the Rising Sun in Hazel Grove,and get in the right-hand lane to head for Buxton.The traffic lights there are really slow,and don't stay on green for long,just letting 5 or so cars through.(+1 for being careful of speed cameras towards Buxton..lots of hidden ones.Friend's wife got done for speeding(37mph)on a bleak open moorland section of road near Sparrow Pit)

Buxton itself is a nice town,and far more pleasant than Stockport for shopping.There's the Buxton Opera House there too,which has opera,interesting 60's bands,pantomimes,talks from famous people,etc)Very cold though!

Edited by jay67

Thanks guys, the response so far has been very insightful

If we move there, then my other half will most likely be working in central Manchester or Stockport. I think if I go for a village option, it would be alright so long as it is not too far from the city (ie. manchester and stockport). Branching out towards buxton areas would not be comfortable, given our outgoing nature. We would like to be within comfortable driving distance of the city of Manchester, so we have access to the joys of the city.

Didsbury would have been our ideal choice, because it ticks all the boxes except my dreadful commute!!!

I have the option of flexi working so I don't have to rush to get in for 9. I was actually hoping to leave at 6:30am to get in for 8am and then leave at 4pm from Chesterfield to return home.

I will do the trial run to get a better feel of the trip, but from your experiences what is it like on the A6 if you go before 7:30am? Let's say from Didsbury, leaving around 6 or 6:30am.

If I can cheekily avoid traffic by setting off at that time then I may have scope to reconsider areas closer to manchester such as the heatons and didsbury!

I hadn't put Poynton on my list;nothing wrong with the place,but as far as I recall,you can't cut through to the A6 from there.If I've remembered correctly,you have to drive down to the Rising Sun in Hazel Grove,and get in the right-hand lane to head for Buxton.The traffic lights there are really slow,and don't stay on green for long,just letting 5 or so cars through.(+1 for being careful of speed cameras towards Buxton..lots of hidden ones.Friend's wife got done for speeding(37mph)on a bleak open moorland section of road near Sparrow Pit)

Yes, quite right. I thought Poynton might suit the OP better, but it's slightly more awkward a start (extra 10-15mins?).

Liquidity, the Heatons/Dids etc will crucify you - early start or not! Also you pay a lot for the names of Heaton Moor or Dids - v poor value, especially considering your budget. Dids isn't great for working central manchester either - that bus can feel like it's taking forever. Prob no quicker than train into Pic form Marple way.

I'm not partial to Heaton Moor,either..overpriced,with lots of houses converted into flats,and lots of noisy 'trendy' pubs.Driving to/from Manchester isn't much fun in the rush hour either.I'm not an expert on the railway system,but Marple,Romiley,High Lane,Disley etc have railway stations(New Mills have two!)and it would be a lot less hassle to get a train into Stockport or Manchester than drive it.

Didsbury? With that budget you should look in Levenshulme and be pleased if you could afford Burnage. Add on the cost of fuel and you won't be feeling so young professional after very long. Young impoverished more like.

As to where you will be able to find future young professionals who will give you equity as well as paying back their top up fees? If we knew that we'd all be rich beyond our wildest dreams already and wouldn't be wasting our time here.