House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Spending Cuts March

Gonna be a big one this i feel. What with the Middle East leading the way and promises of Trafalgar Square having a long running Tahrir Square style occupation this could be one to watch. I especially can't wait to see Ed Milliband on the one hand wanting to give a rousing speech on the benefits of fiscal irresponsibility and at the back of his mind no doubt not wanting to look like the one who roused the crowd just before they burned down most of central London :lol:

Gonna be a big one this i feel. What with the Middle East leading the way and promises of Trafalgar Square having a long running Tahrir Square style occupation this could be one to watch. I especially can't wait to see Ed Milliband on the one hand wanting to give a rousing speech on the benefits of fiscal irresponsibility and at the back of his mind no doubt not wanting to look like the one who roused the crowd just before they burned down most of central London :lol:

Red Ed is bought and paid for by the unions.

To be fair a defecit is the difference between government spending and tax receipts.

There is an alternative which is to raise taxes and maintain the current level of spending.

This might be politically unattractive to you but it is a valid alternative.

To be fair a defecit is the difference between government spending and tax receipts.

There is an alternative which is to raise taxes and maintain the current level of spending.

Well exactly. I can see how a librarian, street cleaner or dinner lady who's about to lose their job feel aggrieved. Especially when the government can magic up several billion for a bail-out of banks in Ireland, or yet another Mid-East "intervention". The problem is that raising taxes doesn't always result in an increase in revenue...

Cut some fat from the public sector or cut the wages of every taxpayer? Let me see now....

My answer = Let the people who's jobs are not necessary strike. It's a no brainer really.

Well exactly. I can see how a librarian, street cleaner or dinner lady who's about to lose their job feel aggrieved. Especially when the government can magic up several billion for a bail-out of banks in Ireland, or yet another Mid-East "intervention". The problem is that raising taxes doesn't always result in an increase in revenue...

True but that is more a function of our tax rules that allow rich people and large companies to get the benefits of a stable state without paying for the infrastructure that supports that.

If you want to trade in the UK you should pay the full rate of taxes on any trade you do here - flat transaction tax on ALL transactions would do this. Completely unavoidable and a massive time and effort saver for everyone.

Is labour proposing this?

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1301137292' post='2940542]

I haven't seen any cuts yet. But as a tax payer I am looking forward to them. :)

Your tax rate will be going up regardless.

No idea - it seems the public have caught the American disease of reacting to any raise in income tax as being an act of treason but accepting rises in other taxes without a blink of the eye.

Of course not. Labour's proposal is that we keep stealing from our children.

I hope those on the march today are willing to lead by example. Go on, smash your child's piggy bank open and take the money. After all, they're too young to do anything about it! Ha ha ha!

Time and time again, the moral high ground is taken by those campaigning against cuts yet what sort of scumbag happily steals from children? That's what a deficit is.

Your tax rate will be going up regardless.

...not if you only earn £10k it won't......get the house prices and cost of living down, then we can create more employment by sharing jobs and salaries. ;)

That would weigh-down even further the tax-paying private sector.

IIRC the public sector reached about 52% of the GDP in the recent years. It is totally unsustainable. The tax-paying private sector can't afford that - hence all the borrowing.

Remember, the public sector is not really a tax-payer. Only the private sector is a NET tax-payer.

Gonna be a big one this i feel. What with the Middle East leading the way and promises of Trafalgar Square having a long running Tahrir Square style occupation

Really?!

Googling...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/22/anti-cuts-campaigners-trafalgar-square-tahrir

Cool!!! :D

this could be one to watch.

Definitely! It could even worry a little the bonds market, and help to restore a little sanity to interest rates.

I especially can't wait to see Ed Milliband on the one hand wanting to give a rousing speech on the benefits of fiscal irresponsibility and at the back of his mind no doubt not wanting to look like the one who roused the crowd just before they burned down most of central London :lol:

Ed Milliband / Labour will test my faith in democracies in 4 years time.

Of course not. Labour's proposal is that we keep stealing from our children.

I hope those on the march today are willing to lead by example. Go on, smash your child's piggy bank open and take the money. After all, they're too young to do anything about it! Ha ha ha!

Time and time again, the moral high ground is taken by those campaigning against cuts yet what sort of scumbag happily steals from children? That's what a deficit is.

Yup. Their generation wants the benefit's from more spending, their generation should have to pay. Either through taxes or through printing/inflation.

Public debts are immoral.

That would weigh-down even further the tax-paying private sector.

IIRC the public sector reached about 52% of the GDP in the recent years. It is totally unsustainable. The tax-paying private sector can't afford that - hence all the borrowing.

Remember, the public sector is not really a tax-payer. Only the private sector is a NET tax-payer.

I don't disagree, I'm not a poster boy for government spending regardless of merit but I feel targerted investment for the good of the country is a good thing (as I'm sure everyone does).

I feel the MAIN aim of any government should be to better the lives of the average person. I reject the "free market will solve all", "greed is good" mantra of the right wing. Simply because all that has happened is that the same people who promote the free market (which the theory of is sounds) have given into their greed and allowed regulatory capture of things like the banks and the housing market.

Therefore I would support a government that interfered in the markets for the betterment of the people. Be that by building loads more government owned houses to rent out (replacing the money that goes onto housing benefit) or by having a state owned bank and making all private banks operate on a full reserve basis.

No political party represents my views - I'm just amazed so many on here think that the Tories and Labour are really that much different.

I

No political party represents my views - I'm just amazed so many on here think that the Tories and Labour are really that much different.

Could we start our own? Do those on here agree enough?

I believe that building more social housing is a must.

But I also think we need to prevent the uk being destination of choice for every economic and po,itical refugee from around the world.

Had a survey re cuts in the local library service, they mentioned various choices; cuts to mobile service, cut staff numbers, cut opening hours, cut number of libraries, but there was no option for staff taking a cut in pay.

One of my work sites is a local council and the staff there have the option of reducing to a 36 hour week (from 37.5 hours). If they get half the staff to sign up they'll save £500k a year.

So 4% reduction in hours. more or less same take home pay when you take into account tax and NI, but significant reduction in service. Suppose it never crossed their minds to cut the wage bill by £500k and work the same hours?

No pay rise for 2 years and 10% inflation over that time is a pay cut.

The March for higher taxation. These people go door to door with their begging bowl rather than trying to get the state to steal their salaries from me.

Anyway, is Milliband wearing his donkey jacket?

No pay rise for 2 years and 10% inflation over that time is a pay cut.

My god, it's almost as if they work in the private sector! :o

There is no "government." There are some folks that librarian, dinner lady and a cleaner have nominated to run the place on their behalf.

I haven't seen marches against 6x salary mortgages and free credit card offers. I

f librarian does not have lie-to-get mortgage and a cleaner didn't buy a new sofa on a credit card they have nothing to worry about.

Any normal person* who isn't against the cuts must be mental, frankly.

If these cuts in services were matched by cuts in tax then this would be a great thing as the private sector could take up the slack - but this isn't the case. Cuts in services plus higher taxes with no allowance of genuine private enterprise means lower quality of living for all. It also means that instead of CB cash filtering through the economy via random do gooder stuff like the NHS and lesbian disabled muslim outreach etc it will filter through via bankster bob's bum cleft, so the alternative is between wacky social engineering and being a forelock tugging bitch of the CB connected rich.

While the best case is lower taxes, smaller state this is not on offer right now, nor will it ever be in the next few decades.

*i.e. not an oligarch.