House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perfectionist

Iran Furious Over Nuclear Resolution .....

Why are these idiots picking a fight with Iran when we're ever more reliant on their oil? Do they have two brain cells amongst them?

I'd be more scared of Iran sanctioning the West. No more oil or gas for the West, just Asia, oh s**t that all mess us up!.

You guys really need to see that 1970s Robert Redford film 'Three Days Of The Condor' and just watch the final scene when the issue of oil, of people in the West who have never gone hungry or cold and of the Middle East oilfields comes up.

It does amaze me how some people who have never gone cold or hungry come up with stupid statements about places like Kuwait and Iraq such as "It's only about oil" - of course it is SODDING about oil! It is about survival and about protecting our way of life.

Far too many people in the West, again who have never gone hungry or cold... or who have never been shot at, suffer from what I call 'British Airways' disease - they assume because BA flys somewhere in the World that the destination is as civilised, as just and as democractic as we are. Here's a wake-up call - many places aren't.

It is about survival of the fittest. Just look at Human history to see what has happened time and time again in the past.

Of course it is about sodding oil!

I'd be more scared of Iran sanctioning the West. No more oil or gas for the West, just Asia, oh s**t that all mess us up!.

This is what Saudi and some other countries did in the 70's as a sanction for the wests support for Israel. It caused big fuel shortages.But when US threatned that they would send in the troops Oil countries soon backed down!

No need to be frightened of a bunch of Iranians.

This is what Saudi and some other countries did in the 70's as a sanction for the wests support for Israel. It caused big fuel shortages.But when US threatned that they would send in the troops Oil countries soon backed down!

i believe the US will not invade Iran but they will bomb the shit out of them.

possibly even nuke them.

lets hops China and Russia stand up to the USA and UK for a change,

of course it is SODDING about oil! It is about survival and about protecting our way of life.

Frankly, a way of life that relies on enriching tyrannical Middle Eastern regimes is not one worth protecting.

I do not know about a stockade (purhaps you could enlighten me OldFTB) but when the oil cartels put up their prices in the mid-late 70s this brought about the first recession that the western world had seen since 1929 and governments collapsed over it.

Moral? It doesn't have to be an obvious blockade for political purposes - I reckon the Iranians may be a bit smarter than that (consider their attitude to women barbaric, but don't for one minute misjudge their savvy).

I'm not sure exactly what the west can do about Iran. I can see the US bombing their nuke installations but think the US would rather negotiate their way out of it but how can they?

The problem is, Iran is a full-on Orwellian society. Scary, scary stuff when you see people going through the 5 minute hate routine against the US & west. IMO the Middles East is caught between a rock and a hard place. Facism posing as religion and brutal dictatorships holding a largely peacful muslim population hostage.

There must be change in this region, but how?

The problem is, Iran is a full-on Orwellian society.

and we aren't ?

There must be change in this region, but how?

That is their look out . There must be huge changes in this country too but I don't expect Iranians or Iraqis to interfere to help bring them about,

and we aren't ?

Haven't seen many western leaders gathering people and preaching, "Down with Iran! Death to all muslims!". It happens in Iran and it's scary stuff.

The British media quite often print government spin because of rubbish journalism and lazyness. In Iran you'll print what they tell you to.

No I don't think western countries are Orwellian, if the governments can spin and lie it's because we let them do it and don't do anything about it.

That is their look out . There must be huge changes in this country too but I don't expect Iranians or Iraqis to interfere to help bring them about,

True. I guess it would depend on how threatened the US feels and what impact it would have on the region. If Iran does get nukes, they probably won't use them. They'll posture with them and eventually realise there's better ways of doing business.

lets hops China and Russia stand up to the USA and UK for a change,

I think you need to be careful of what you wish for. Unless your loyalties lie outside this country, which is not so uncommon these days.

Haven't seen many western leaders gathering people and preaching, "Down with Iran! Death to all muslims!". It happens in Iran and it's scary stuff.

you are right,. we dont preach we just do it.

Afghanistan .

Iraq,.

and next Iran

is it any wonder they hate us ?

they are afraid. do you blame them ?

the US have announced they are prepared to pre-emptively nuke any country it regards as a 'potential' terrorist threat.

if I was Iranian I would hate the US and UK. As it is I am Scottish and I still hate them for what they have done to the rest of the world over the centuries and are still continuing to do.

Frankly, a way of life that relies on enriching tyrannical Middle Eastern regimes is not one worth protecting.

Not my point.

If the oil taps were turned off today within a few weeks the Werst would grind to a halt. Hundreds of millions of people who have never gone cold or hungry would go cold and hungry. At which point the self-opinionated trendies "Its only about oil" brigade would be DEMANDING that troops are sent to take over the oilfields.

you are right,. we dont preach we just do it.

Afghanistan .

Iraq,.

and next Iran

is it any wonder they hate us ?

they are afraid. do you blame them ?

the US have announced they are prepared to pre-emptively nuke any country it regards as a 'potential' terrorist threat.

if I was Iranian I would hate the US and UK. As it is I am Scottish and I still hate them for what they have done to the rest of the world over the centuries and are still continuing to do.

Excellent points. I'm certain they wouldn't do the same to us if they had the chance.

:lol:

I don't buy it though. The US & the west has good relations with many muslim countries. The west had a good relationship with Iran until the revolution took place. Personally, I think the west would jump at the chance to establish relations with Iran but there's no sensible channel of communication.

Afraid? Their leaders are more afraid of getting found out and lynched by their angry populations.

Arafat was a good example, a complete waste of space IMO. Did nothing but blag his people and cause mayhem. The Palestinians would have been years ahead of where they are now if they had a leader that could actually negotiate!

The Iranians can negotiate but they don't want to. It suits their leaders (and ours) to have a situation of deadlock.

As it is I am Scottish and I still hate them for what they have done to the rest of the world over the centuries and are still continuing to do.

Come on, get over it! The west is the best, baby!

War...

What is it good for...

Well, we are overdue a chav cull :)

(EDIT) Soory about that. War's not funny.

But we do have a LOT of chavs.

what do you know about Mossadegh ?

You mean when the Iranians voted to nationalise the oil industry and seize control of the British oil interests?

You mean when the Iranians voted to nationalise the oil industry and seize control of the British oil interests?

were they not entitled to nationalise their own oil ?

how did the Brits get those oil interests in the first place (ill give you a clue - it was not fairly ) ?

Britain Fights Oil Nationalism

The coup had its roots in a British showdown with Iran, restive under decades of near-colonial British domination.

The prize was Iran's oil fields. Britain occupied Iran in World War II to protect a supply route to its ally, the Soviet Union, and to prevent the oil from falling into the hands of the Nazis - ousting the shah's father, whom it regarded as unmanageable. It retained control over Iran's oil after the war through the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC now BP ).

In 1951, Iran's Parliament voted to nationalize the oil industry, and legislators backing the law elected its leading advocate, Dr. Mosaddeq, as prime minister. Britain responded with threats and sanctions.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessi...oleum%20Company

Following the turmoil of World War II, AIOC and the Iranian government resisted nationalist pressure to come to a renewed deal in 1949. In March 1951, the pro-western Prime Minister Ali Razmara was assassinated and in April, a bill was passed nationalising the oil industry and the AIOC and the Shah were forced to leave the country.

The AIOC took its case against the nationalisation to the International Court of Justice at The Hague, but lost the case. However the governments of Britain and the US were concerned about the encroachment of Soviet influence in the area and assissted in a plot against the Iranian administration. They installed pro-Western General Fazlollah Zahedi as prime minister of Iran.

If the oil taps were turned off today within a few weeks the West would grind to a halt.

The West would not be the only countries to suffer. For most OPEC member states oil is their only source of income. They stop pumping, their people would also starve (very few of the Gulf states are self-sufficient in food). Why bother with soldiers when self-interest will keep the oil flowing?

Also, if all the oil in the world stopped being pumped tomorrow (impossible), Britons would still not go cold (hungry maybe; but not cold). Less than 2% of the UK's domestic electricity needs is generated by oil-fired plant.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/energy/inform/dukes/.../05longterm.pdf

It's much the same as the "If China dumped all their dollars they could destroy the West" argument; in so doing they would also destroy themselves. Mutual interdependency, or for those who lived through the Cold War era, M.A.D (Mutually Assured Destruction) prevents the kind of scenario you envisage without any form of military intervention.

Also, if all the oil in the world stopped being pumped tomorrow (impossible), Britons would still not go cold (hungry maybe; but not cold). Less than 2% of the UK's domestic electricity needs is generated by oil-fired plant.

how much is fuelled by GAS (which Iran has in abundance ) . I think its currently about 30 per cent.

Iran is more about GAS than OIL.

We will soon be 75 % dependent on gas for our power stations.

That is why we must grab Iran's gas,

http://www.amicustheunion.org/Default.aspx?page=1399

The UK will be dependent on foreign imports to supply three quarters of its total primary energy needs within 15 years, Amicus warns today.

Amicus says the UK is also becoming over reliant on gas, the government estimates that gas-fired turbines will provide 75 per cent of the UK's electricity by 2020.

what do you know about Mossadegh ?

I know vague bits. Can't say I care much.

Point is Iran is in a position of strength, I actually think the US is more scared of Iran. They may try a strike but that's all they can do. US Troops and the Americans are fed up with Iraq, hositility towards Iran would probably see the end of a Republican government.

Iran can acheive much more by negotiating, regardless of how they view America they must start to talk to them. If we continue to up the ante angainst each other nothing will be acheived!

Iran can acheive much more by negotiating, regardless of how they view America they must start to talk to them. If we continue to up the ante angainst each other nothing will be acheived!

Talk to the Americans ? Are you aware that the US regards Iran as a terrorist nation and refuses to trade with them ?

All of the hostility is coming from the west and is directed towards Iran.

The ignorance of 99 % of the UK population about the most basic aspects of foreign policy is atrocious.

Well done to the BBC for keeping the great British middle-class completely dumbed down.

dont even ask about the working class. most of them couldnt locate Iran on a map.

The Iranian Oil Bourse opens for business in March 2006 ..... which would eradicate the Dollar monopoly the US has over the world which has kept the nation afloat for so long .....

No more Dollar Hedgemony = No more US Economy = Prevent Iran by ANY means posssible = Just like they did with Iraq when they planned to trade Oil in Euro's back in Nov 2000 .....

Whether the yanks use Nukes is debatable ...... nobody wants to make all that oil rich land radioactive for the next few hundred years !!

Of all the Oil producing nations, Iran is by far the most savvy (followed by Venezuela) - their politics are always open to criticism but mainly due to biased western media portrayals (I don't know anyone who has actually been to Iran recently - and neither do you!)

I reckon next year is gonna be very interesting ......