House Price Crash Forum
Monkey

Just About To Rent My First Place, Is This Accpetable?

Myself and my G/F are just about to rent our first place together (and the first time renting at all)

we have agreed to the price of a place we like, and are in the process of getting all our checks done etc,

i had a chat with the LA to find out more of the T&C's of the letting and this is what has come out

we was only allowed to sign a 6 month AST, we wanted longer, but we was told, because we are new to the LA and have never rented before, then they will only give us 6 months AST (a couple fo LA's said this)

Utility Bills: when we move in the LA will change the name on the bills from the previous tennents to ours, we have to obtain council tax on our own. when/if we change suppliers we have to notify the LA with the details.

Inspection: as we are new tennents, we get an inspection 1 month after moving in, then at 3 months. no word on after the 6 months is up. they said we will get 24 hour notice of any inspection

i think that was it, but i'm sure there wil lbe more when i talk to them again

We moved from one rental to another last year, but both overseen by the same EA. Although we got a 100% refund of our deposit on the first place, six months after moving into the new one we were asked to give written consent that we were happy to extend the contract... Threw me a bit, since I didn't know we were on some kind of six month deal. We live in a small town in rural Shropshire and things are a bit informal round here! EA reassured us it was normal though.

We moved from one rental to another last year, but both overseen by the same EA. Although we got a 100% refund of our deposit on the first place, six months after moving into the new one we were asked to give written consent that we were happy to extend the contract... Threw me a bit, since I didn't know we were on some kind of six month deal. We live in a small town in rural Shropshire and things are a bit informal round here! EA reassured us it was normal though.

When the sent you the note asking to extend the contract then it is your right to say to them that you wish the tenancy to be periodic ( basically a rolling contract ). They then cannot charge you fees and the landlord must give you 2 months notice to get out, you can give them 1 months !!! If you want the extra security of another 6 months tenancy agreement you can ask for that too.

http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/blog/5-tenancy-agreement-facts-that-are-********/

I'd be OK with that. Unless perhaps I was looking for an exact term in excess of six months. At least, if I thought I could trust the agent to be honest about a place they expected to become unavailable after six months even if they're happy with you.

Check the "sword of damocles" thread, and put your foot down on any abuse of process.

(I'm guessing you're young? A lot of agents worry less about you as you get older).

Myself and my G/F are just about to rent our first place together (and the first time renting at all)

we have agreed to the price of a place we like, and are in the process of getting all our checks done etc,

i had a chat with the LA to find out more of the T&C's of the letting and this is what has come out

we was only allowed to sign a 6 month AST, we wanted longer, but we was told, because we are new to the LA and have never rented before, then they will only give us 6 months AST (a couple fo LA's said this)

Utility Bills: when we move in the LA will change the name on the bills from the previous tennents to ours, we have to obtain council tax on our own. when/if we change suppliers we have to notify the LA with the details.

Inspection: as we are new tennents, we get an inspection 1 month after moving in, then at 3 months. no word on after the 6 months is up. they said we will get 24 hour notice of any inspection

i think that was it, but i'm sure there wil lbe more when i talk to them again

Tenancy lenght is down to negotiaion between the parties. If they won't do more than 6 months then your choices are: take it or leave it.

Utility bills. What do you expect here. What doesn't seem reasonable about what the agency are doing?

Inspections. You can (theoretically) refuse pemission for these whatever the contract says, so I wouldn't create a fuss now.

tim

(I'm guessing you're young? A lot of agents worry less about you as you get older).

im 30 my G/F is 29 soon to be 30, we both have been employed for a ling time (7 years for my 10 for the G/F) with large employers

Utility bills. What do you expect here. What doesn't seem reasonable about what the agency are doing?

TBH i dont know what to expect, i thought the LA wouldnt want to be involved with my utility bills, the way she told me sounded (i am probably reading too much into this) like i had to ask permission to chage electric companies and only if she liked them.

but if its normal then thats fine

This is reasonable, some landlords only want 6 month AST's, this does not mean you have to renew in 6 months, just go periodic

Kinda ok, probably id just go with this one

This is frankly a load of old bull, the LA gets a kickback from the utility companies for changing the name, to personally i would say no to this, The day you move in take all meter readings then get whichever supplier you wish and give them the readings, its none of the agent or landlords business. You also do not have to notify them who the providers are although it doesnt exactly hurt. You will probably end up with a rubbish tariff but the agent gets their commission so do they care!!

Whats not reasonable is this is nothing to do with the agent, they are simply trying to take commission on something that is nothing to do with them, personally id tell them to stuff it.

Whats not reasonable is this is nothing to do with the agent, they are simply trying to take commission on something that is nothing to do with them, personally id tell them to stuff it.

Not only that, but they are deciding how expensive your gas and electricity bills will be! Would you let a car salesman decide which garage you fill up at?

Our contract has we have to ask permission to change supplier. First day in I took readings and got onto the supplier of my choice and changed it. They have no comeback on you, unfair term in a consumer contract. Agents are mentally challenged, our contract also has we cannot take possessions into the property without the express consent of the LL/LA, cant hang clothing anywhere in the house (now radiators I could accept is not unfair but it says anywhere) and many more gems. Feck 'em.

Edit coz I cant spell

Edited by zebbedee

This is reasonable, some landlords only want 6 month AST's, this does not mean you have to renew in 6 months, just go periodic

Kinda ok, probably id just go with this one

This is frankly a load of old bull, the LA gets a kickback from the utility companies for changing the name, to personally i would say no to this, The day you move in take all meter readings then get whichever supplier you wish and give them the readings, its none of the agent or landlords business. You also do not have to notify them who the providers are although it doesnt exactly hurt. You will probably end up with a rubbish tariff but the agent gets their commission so do they care!!

It doesn't work like that.

If you try and change suppler on "move in day" you will find that you cannot. You are stuck with whoever the outgoing tenant used until the change has been procesed by the new company which is usually a minimum of one month and can be up to three if there's a problem.

This will apply if you change it or the agency does.

tim

It doesn't work like that.

If you try and change suppler on "move in day" you will find that you cannot. You are stuck with whoever the outgoing tenant used until the change has been procesed by the new company which is usually a minimum of one month and can be up to three if there's a problem.

This will apply if you change it or the agency does.

tim

You are arguing against a point i didnt make, of course it takes time for the change to happen, but the agent is trying to get a kickback, the point being the tenant does not have to sign up to anything the agent wants, and the contract provided by the agent will probably be a rubbish tariff with maximum commision, so that is what is wrong

You are arguing against a point i didnt make, of course it takes time for the change to happen, but the agent is trying to get a kickback, the point being the tenant does not have to sign up to anything the agent wants, and the contract provided by the agent will probably be a rubbish tariff with maximum commision, so that is what is wrong

I don't agree that the agent is tryng to get a kick back, and the point I was making was because the month's delay means that it wouldn't work

It would take a month for the agent's change to take effect, by which time you would have moved in, made your choice and changed it to something else

ISTM that the agent has a genuine interest in telling the utilities the name of the new tenant because he will be asked this when he tells them that the bills are no longer the LL responsibility (just like I am being asked during my current move out - I tell them the LL's name as if I don't I will be the one getting charged for the void)

tim