House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Marina

British Gas

Anyone else fed up with that irritating British Gas advert that takes up half the page?

'British Gas - Doing the right thing'

If they do the right thing how come someone has to come back every 60 seconds. Surely the important question is 'Why did they leave in the first place?'

It takes a lot to get fed up enough with a utility supplier to make you actually change - most of us just pay the direct debit and never think about it.

But enough people are/have been fed up enough with British Gas to mean that one comes back every minute.

Not something I would bragg about.

i hate the entire energy business. loads of door knocking 5p reps bothering me with petty savings and drawn out changeovers. stottish power, gas, powergen. who gives a crap. its the same gas from the same pipes but with higher and lower admin costs.

a pointless exercise designed to make you think energy is competing for cheaper deals. when its not.

I moved to another gas company in Feb 2005 when British Gas stuck their prices up. Being me I couldnt not write a moan letter..... this is what I got back....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologise for the delay in my response to your enquiry regarding the price

increase in September 2004.

Unfortunately, the years of cheap energy in the United Kingdom have come to

an end. I am sure that every energy supplier wishes that they were able to

keep energy costs the same forever. Unfortunately, like any other business,

if the cost of the product you are selling increases in price, then the cost

your customer pays also has to increase. The price we pay for gas has risen

by 28% this year and a further 25% rise is predicted next year. The price we

pay for electricity is 22% higher this year and is predicted to rise another

23% next year. We have absorbed as much of these extra costs as we can, but

like any business, in the end we have to pass on some of the costs to our

customers.

Further to this, the depletion of the countries reserves of natural gas and

the increase in the amount of gas that needs to be imported means that,

irrespective of who supplies the energy to your home, that company will,

without a doubt, have to increase the cost of their energy in the coming 12

to 18 months.

British Gas were not alone in increasing prices, all gas and electricity

suppliers have been effected by the exceptional increase in wholesale

prices. Npower also increased their gas prices on 1 October 2004 by 11.8%

and electricity prices by 7.6%. Scottish Power increased their gas prices by

11.8% and electricity prices by 8% in Scottish Power and Manweb areas and 9%

in other areas on 4 October 2004.

I do appreciate that British Gas is, in most cases the most expensive

supplier for gas, but in contrast we are very competitively priced for our

electricity and in many areas of the country are one of the cheapest

suppliers.

This is, however, the opposite for our main competitors, Powergen, Scottish

Power, nPower and Scottish & Southern. The reason for this is that

collectively they make up the old 'electricity boards' from around the

country. So whilst they are able to offer cheaper gas than British Gas, we

are able to offer cheaper electricity. Other suppliers will (and have)

inevitably announce price increases in the coming months.

As a company, British Gas prides itself on the service it provides to

customers. British Gas has won numerous awards for customer service. These

include, for the third consecutive year, the Gold Award for Customer Service

in the National Customer Service Awards 2004. A part of that is ensuring

that customers are happy with the service they receive. Another major part

of that is ensuring that customers are making the most of the savings and

discounts available to them.

I trust this answers the enquiry to your satisfaction.

sooner or later people are gonna start looking for alternatives for themselves instead of keep paying ever increasing prices.

i can see this being the start of a huge home energy boom in solar power and wind

which realy has got to be a good thing.

and its the stuff of nightmares to the big companies that control a piece of everyones wage packet, hence why they discourage it.

i can see this being the start of a huge home energy boom in solar power and wind

Great for those windy, sunny days, not so great for still, dark nights. And good luck getting planning permission for a windmill at your flat.

there is a scottish company that makes windmills that you bolt to the side of your house, there the same size as a satellite dish and produce on average 1/2 the energy needs of a household.

stick 3 on the side of your flat, add a bank of batteries to take the excess in the good days to use in the bad days and there you have it, free energy.

total cost about 1000 pounds fully fitted.

Which wind company is that?

Edit: is it this one

http://www.renewabledevices.com

You have to measure wind speed -

http://www.top50freebies.co.uk/wind-power.htm

instructions there.

I've been researching renewables for domestic use. There is so little at the moment.

Apparently 50,000 solar water systems and 1000 photovoltaic ones in the UK.

Don't know how many wind systems.

Wood burning stoves look a good alternative but won't supply electric. Then there's those whispergen things but you'd have to have a biomass one I think...

I was reading about photovoltaic and from what I was reading it sounds like the system stops making electricity if the grid is down (and you don't get the grant to pay for half unless it connects to grid) ...

So if the general power fails its no use.(Unless there are work rounds for this... but I have yet to find out more)

Edited by SarahBell

ive seen these mini windmills on houseboats. that and a small solar panel will provide enough for most light electrical domestic uses for 1-2 people per day. just stack them up on your roof. it might not provide everything, but i bet it provides half your fuel and all if you learned to cut back.

better than saving cans so more people can fly.

You Could always just send a letter of complaint similar to the one NTL got off a peeved customer last year...

Dear Cretins,

I have been an NTL customer since 9th July 2001, when I signed up for your 3-in-one deal for cable TV, cable modem, and telephone.

During this three-month period I have encountered inadequacy of service which I had not previously considered possible, as well as ignorance and stupidity of monolithic proportions. Please allow me to provide specific details, so that you can either pursue your professional prerogative, and seek to rectify these difficulties - or more likely (I suspect) so that you can have some entertaining reading material as you while away the working day smoking B&H and drinking vendor-coffee on the bog in your office.

My initial installation was cancelled without warning or notice, resulting in my spending an entire Saturday sitting on my fat **** waiting for your technician to arrive. When he did not arrive at all, I spent a further 57 minutes listening to your infuriating hold music, and the even more annoying Scottish robot woman telling me to look at your helpful website.... how? I alleviated the boredom to some small degree by playing with my testi*les for a few minutes - an activity at which you are no-doubt both familiar and highly adept.

The rescheduled installation then took place some two weeks later, although the technician did forget to bring a number of vital tools - such as a drill-bit, and his cerebrum.

Two weeks later, my cable modem had still not arrived. After several further telephone calls (actually 15 telephone calls over 4 weeks) my modem arrived ... a total of six weeks after I had requested it, and begun to pay for it. I estimate that the downtime of your internet servers is roughly 35%... these are usually the hours between about 6pm and midnight, Monday to Friday, and most of the useful periods over the weekend.

I am still waiting for my telephone connection. I have made 9 telephone calls on my mobile to your no-help line this week, and have been unhelpfully transferred to a variety of disinterested individuals, who are it seems also highly skilled bollock jugglers.

I have been informed that a telephone line is available (and someone will call me back), that no telephone line is available (and someone will call me back), that I will be transferred to someone who knows whether or not a telephone line is available (and then been cut off), that I will be transferred to someone who knows whether or not a telephone line is available (and then been redirected to an answer machine informing me that your office is closed), that I will be transferred to someone who knows whether or not a telephone line is available (and then been redirected to the irritating Scottish robot woman.... and several other variations on this theme.

Doubtless you are no-longer reading this letter, as you have at least a thousand other dissatisfied customers to ignore, and also another one of those crucially important testicle-moments to attend to. Frankly I don't care, it's far more satisfying as a customer to voice my frustrations in print than to shout them at your unending hold music. Forgive me, therefore, if I continue.

I thought BT were sh*t, that they had attained the holy piss-pot of god-awful customer relations, that no-one, anywhere, ever, could be more disinterested, less helpful or more obstructive to delivering service to their customers. That's why I chose NTL, and because, well, there isn't anyone else is there?

How surprised I therefore was, when I discovered to my considerable dissatisfaction and disappointment what a useless shower of bastards you truly are. You are sputum-filled pieces of distended rectum - incompetents of the highest order. British Telecom - *****ers though they are - shine like brilliant beacons of success, in the filthy puss-filled mire of your seemingly limitless inadequacy.

Suffice to say that I have now given up on my futile and foolhardy quest to receive any kind of service from you. I suggest that you do likewise, and cease any potential future attempts to extort payment from me for the services which you have so pointedly and catastrophically failed to deliver

- any such activity will be greeted initially with hilarity and disbelief - although these feelings will quickly be replaced by derision, and even perhaps a small measure of bemused rage.

I enclose two small deposits, selected with great care from my cats litter tray, as an expression of my utter and complete contempt for both you, and your pointless company. I sincerely hope that they have not become desiccated during transit - they were satisfyingly moist at the time of posting, and I would feel considerable disappointment if you did not experience both their rich aroma and delicate texture. Consider them the very embodiment of my feelings towards NTL, and it's worthless employees.

Have a nice day - may it be the last in you miserable short life, you irritatingly incompetent and infuriatingly unhelpful bunch of tw*ts,

Yours psychotically

John Doe [editor's note: name changed to protect the innocent]

Rather funny I thought!

My friends dont call me Brains for nothing.

Now do i have an answer for you people....

Its called - 'Find a Fatty'!!!

Will probably be launched within next 6 months by NuLabour.

Basiclaly it goes if you can find any obese person (chart yet to be released), you are allowed to drag them to your home and make them cycle til they build up a certain charge through the attached dynamo into your house energy supply.

This NuLabour initiative will do a number of things.

1/ Reduce Fat people who are unsightly by making them exercise

2/ Get cheap electricity for people

3/ Increase neighbour relations.

A winner all round.

Remember to vote for Derrick Robertson at the elections when im running!

Okay, I could do with losing a bit of weight. I have an old bike with a dynamo on it, and I reckon I could rig up a rolling road with a metal frame and some rollers.

How do I connect the dynamo on the bike to the house electricity meter?

Having recently moved house I am stuck on a dial-up connection until Broadband catches up. Instead of having my sons arguing about whose turn it is on the computer, we could have a rota for whose turn it is to go in the garage and power the house.

Edited by Marina

ive seen these mini windmills on houseboats. that and a small solar panel will provide enough for most light electrical domestic uses for 1-2 people per day. just stack them up on your roof. it might not provide everything, but i bet it provides half your fuel and all if you learned to cut back.

better than saving cans so more people can fly.

Wind turbines in the roof can only work if somenone manages to find a way to keep the noise down... Last time I was looking at that (in 2000) most people who tried them could not stand the noise!

The big problem with solar panels and photovoltaics at this very moment is that they have about 25 yrs payback time... energy is cheap enough and the savings are not that great... If you think that people in this country tend to change houses every 5-7years, then it does not make much sense as an investment. Surely, this will change at the near future as energy prices keep rising, but we're a bit far from these "green buildings" options becoming economically viable...

How surprised I therefore was, when I discovered to my considerable dissatisfaction and disappointment what a useless shower of bastards you truly are. You are sputum-filled pieces of distended rectum - incompetents of the highest order. British Telecom - *****ers though they are - shine like brilliant beacons of success, in the filthy puss-filled mire of your seemingly limitless inadequacy.

Oh how I wish I had written that :lol:

Limpet