House Price Crash Forum
Sledgehead

Earthquake : Burma, 6.8

Already Wiki'd : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Burma_earthquake

epicenter in the east of Shan State in Myanmar with a hypocenter 229.6 km deep - that's on the Burma - Thai border area I believe ie inland.

Burma produces 21,900 bbl/day crude oil, about 0.03% of world output.

Damage in Burma unknown but magnitude 6.8 earthquake sparks panic in Chiang Rai and Bangkok on Thai side

"The Pacific tsunami warning centre said the quake was located too far inland to create a tsunami.

Max Jones, an Australian resident of the Thai capital, was in his 27th-floor apartment when his building started shaking so hard he had to grab the walls to keep from falling. "It was bloody scary, I can tell you," he said. Jones said he could see people running in the streets."

Because of Burma's secretive regime, information from that side of th eborder is hard to come by. That's a big quake for a poor nation. Let's all hope that the people, long oppressed by a brutal government have been spared the worst.

Edited by Sledgehead

Well a leading geologist says there aren't more earthquakes just more around populated areas. All these latest ones, are around the Pacific all related to the same tectonic plates. But there have been strong earthquakes in Barbados, Chile. Who knows.

What is happening to the earth?

Magnetic North is moving at an increasingly faster rate from North America/canada toward Siberia! Over 40 km per year and accelerating They also expect a pole reversal.

As the Earth is stretched at the two poles (not totally round as you may think) due to it's rotation - is movement shifting the molten stuff beneath so unstable plates are shifting as pressures increase and decrease over the Earth's mantle/plates. Is lava rising - as we know the seas of the Pacific all warmed up.

"Don't think of this as another sign of the apocalypse, but Earth's magnetic north pole has been shifting enough that Tampa's airport has to repaint the numbers on its runways.

Tampa International Airport in Florida has closed its primary runway until Jan. 13 2011 to change the numeric designations at each end, as well as the signage on taxiways leading to the runway. The Tampa Tribune said the runway had been designated 18R/36L, indicating its alignment along the 180-degree approach from the north and the 360-degree approach from the south. Now the numbers are being revised to read 19R/1L (190 degrees and 10 degrees).

Two other runways will be closed later this month for a similar signage change, the Tribune reported."

http://cosmiclog.msn...irport-makeover

Another thing that could affect us is Solar radiation or lack of it allowing plates to flex or bow as radiation particle flow increases /decreases or even planetary/moon alignments affecting gravity pull.

Is the decreasing ice in the Arctic and hugely increasing ice coverage in the Antarctic causing rotation tilt/shifts?

Edited by erranta

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/increase_in_earthquakes.php

Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase?

We continue to be asked by many people throughout the world if earthquakes are on the increase. Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant.
A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications. In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more than 8,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by electronic mail, internet and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate earthquakes more rapidly and to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years. The NEIC now locates about 20,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in the environment and natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes.
According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 17 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year.

I disagree with this view. Too many unknowns to be so blase. If poles are shifting that is stirring up a whole load of shit and who knows how that will pan out. They can't even calculate the effects of significant solar explosions that can mess with electronics. All a bad trip man.

The earths is billions of years old, we have insufficient data to draw any conclusions. We need millions of years worth of data to have any chance of creating meaningful trends.

In theory, sounds right. However, the earth's crust is on average only c. 15 miles deep with a whole load of molten shit lying just beneath the surface waiting to get out. There has never been a total wipe out of all life on earth due to a natural disaster and given the shallowness of the crust one has to wonder why.

Edited by Realistbear

In theory, sounds right. However, the earth's crust is on average only c. 15 miles deep with a whole load of molten shit lying just beneath the surface waiting to get out. There has never been a total wipe out of all life on earth due to a natural disaster and given the shallowness of the crust one has to wonder why.

The average depth of Continental crust if more like 30km. Below this you will find 50-150 km of lithosphere, which is essentially solid (although generally aseismic). That is the structure of a continental plate; below which is the weak Asthenosphere layer which is still solid (Shear waves from seismic events go through it) but very much weaker; this is what the plates move over.

On timsscales of tens of millions of years, of course, the entire planet does indeed act as a drop of liquid with a few bits of scum on the surface, but best not worry about that.

There is no molten layer until you reach the outer core, several thousand kilometers down. Given the big hike in density at the mantle/outer core boundary, it isn't going to suddenly come out and kill us all.

Oceanic crust is different, it's only ~6km thick, with a underlying lithosphere between 0 and 100km thick, dpending on age. At mid ocean ridges, the asthenosphere does indeed rise to the surface and melt along the mid ocean ridge system, a rip in the crust thousands of kilometers long. So far this has failed to wipe out all life on earth, mostly because it does indeed raise the hellish fires below to the surface, it does so very slowly.

An earthquake cluster. Plates making a bunch of adjustments. Only the Japan one was really exceptional in magnitude.

Didn't it coincide with the closest lunar perigee in a very long time, and thus with maximum gravitational pull? So a record spring tide was already a given. A force like that could've served to precipitate a latent tectonic event.

An earthquake cluster. Plates making a bunch of adjustments. Only the Japan one was really exceptional in magnitude.

Didn't it coincide with the closest lunar perigee in a very long time, and thus with maximum gravitational pull? So a record spring tide was already a given. A force like that could've served to precipitate a latent tectonic event.

I was in Portugal during "that moon" and it wiped out all the sand along the beach in Albufeira! They brought in a huge sand dredger a couple of days later to pump it all back again-it will take them weeks.

BTW Portugal is nice. Roads are perfect. No chavs to be seen (wait till summer) and they are fed up with the EE crime wave. Pity their country is skint though. If I ws tro live abroad I would put Portugal high on the list--Alvor in the West part of the Algarve is great with hardly any nightlife and the best beach in the world imo.

Is this just a case of more verbose reporting of geological events or is there really a trend here?

Anyone who has read John Christopher's "A Wrinkle in the Skin" might hope not.

f43cb220dca015193d0f8010.L.jpg

Could the proximity of the moon be having an effect?

Will the big one hit california soon?

That's a very good point. It's something that will happen, sooner or later.

With California (and the US) stretched to breaking point in budgetary terms, they really can't afford for it to be sooner.

http://www.good.is/post/cascadia-the-west-coast-fault-line-that-is-nine-months-pregnant/

Ever since the massive 9.0 magnitude earthquake struck Japan, I've been thinking a lot about my friends in Oregon. Why? Because the impending "Big One" that Californians are nervous about is actually a lot more likely to occur off the coast of Oregon—and would be an even "Bigger One" there.

http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/histor/15-19th-eme/1700/1700-eng.php

The ARK?

This would appear to back you up.

Actually it was 10km deep, I think.

230km is very rare (more to do with rapid phase change in cold, descending lithosphere, or was last time I looked).

There has never been a total wipe out of all life on earth due to a natural disaster ...

The ARK?

Do you mind? :angry:

I started this thread, and although I am to all intents and purposes anonymous, I haven't written thousands of posts just to end up being associated, no matter how tenuosly, with that kind of drivel. <_<

Is this just a case of more verbose reporting of geological events or is there really a trend here?

Its like after Hurricane Katrina, every poxy hurricane in the USA was reported on our national news channels as if something terrifying and abnormal was happening with the planet as opposed to it just being pretty normal.

They grab hold of the latest 'trend' topic and bludgeon it to death bleeding the last bit of uninformed blood out of its carcass.

Ok before I go any further let me state my credentials.

I have a Doctorate in Seismology.

I currently work at a well-known university as a seismology researcher.

I have published a number of peer-reviewed articles on a variety of large earthquakes around the world.

Let me clear up a few things:

1) The earthquake was initially reported as being 230km deep - this was later revised to 10km. Hence the confusion. The reason for this is that earthquake *depths* are very difficult to locate because all our seismic stations are on the surface of the earth - it leads to a trade-off between earthquake depth and origin time. As more and better data became available the depth estimate was refined to the current 10km.

2) Realistbear - what evidence do you have to disagree with the view of Scientists from the NEIC? Are you a trained seismologist? Clearly not. You can't just say 'I don't belive you' without offering an explanation why. It's like me asking an Italian to translate something from Italian and then when he comes up with an answer saying 'I don't believe you'. Let me give you some facts: Approximate number of people killed in earthquakes 2001-2010 = 694,948. Number of people killed in earthquakes 1991-200 = 54,520. Ahha you say - clearly there are more earthquakes killing more people. Lert us go back further. Number of people killed in earthquakes 1971-1980 = 362,137. Ahha you say, even that is less than now. Look at these numbers in comparison to total world population, 694,948 = 0.0107% of total population (2001-2010). 362,137 = 0.0089% of total population (1971-1980), not all that different. Go back further, 243,194 killed in 1911-1920 represents 0.0147% of total population a bit more than the modern ratio. There a a lot of graphs that show quite clearly the number of moderate (mag 7 and less) earthquakes globally is relatively constant and is certainly not increasing. This earthquake and the Christchurch earthquake fall into this category. With rising population, obviously more people are going to be exposed to earthquake risk.

3) There has been a cluster of large (mag 8+) earthquakes since 2000 (Japan was one of these). On average, globally, we get one of these every 18 months (averaged back to 1900 when accurate estimations of earthquake size become possible). There have been 13 or 14 since 2000, significantly more than average. However, there was another period during the 1950s and 1960s when a similar concentration occured, and possibly a 3rd cluster at the beginning of the 20th Century. Currently we are not sure if the concentration is anything more than chance, or if there is something that links these very large earthquakes.

4) The poles reversing is something that loads of people prattle on about. Yes, the magnetic pole is moving around by more than historical levels. Yes we are 'overdue' for a magnetic reversal. Does that mean its happening now? Course not. The earth has functioned perfectly well for a very long time, during which, occassionally, unusual events occur, what makes you think that we're suddenly living in this incredibly 'special' time when all these geological events are going to conspire against us and wreak havoc with humankind. Do you realise how ridiculously egocentric that is?

5) Supermoon. The Japan earthquake occurred about a week *before* this event. The fact that the moon is a couple of % closer to us than normal make very very little difference to the earth's crust. The reason the media made such a big deal about this particular approach is that the moon being a couple of % closer co-incided with the timing being at a full moon and the full moon being close to the horizon - both things that make the moon *appear* bigger. Whether its a full moon or not has no effect on the gravitational pull due to it. What happened last time the moon was this close? Nothing. Did the moon being this close cause the earthquake? Absolutely not.

6) Earthquake tax - we're already paying it. When insurers and re-insurers have a bad year they pass on their extra costs to customers. Japanese earthquake leads to large claims on insurers -> re-insurers have to pay out -> re-insurers put up premiums next year to cover costs -> insurers put up premiums to cover extra costs imposed on them by re-insurers -> your car insurance premium goes up next year.

7) Will the big one hit California soon? Maybe, maybe not. No one can predict exactly when and where earthquakes will hit, all we can say is that there is the potential for a large earthquake to hit California. It could happen today, it may not happen for 100 years. There is nothing to suggest that the chances are significantly altered upwards or downwards because of other earthquakes elsewhere around the globe, the supermoon, global warming, the global banking crisis or whether or not someone has made a TV documentary about it. The earth doesn't care.

8) The Oregon/Cascadia 'big one' - we think this is less likely in the near future than the California earthquake. The last Cascadia M9.0 earthquake was in 1700 and we think there's about 500 years between them. That's not to say it couldn't happen today, or in 5 years time, but if it did it would be significantly earlier than expected. If the Hayward fault in Oakland, California broke it today, it would be around when we would expect it to break.

Hope that's sorted out some wrong ideas.

Ok before I go any further let me state my credentials.

I have a Doctorate in Seismology.

I currently work at a well-known university as a seismology researcher.

I have published a number of peer-reviewed articles on a variety of large earthquakes around the world.

Let me clear up a few things:

(...)

Thanks for taking the effort to post.

For an academic though, I'm surprised to see so few citations or references.

Thanks for taking the effort to post.

For an academic though, I'm surprised to see so few citations or references.

Generally, once something has reached 'undergraduate textbook' level you don't reference every other sentence..