House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Asking Car Insurance Company For Letter Of No Claims Discount Years

Hi,

I am about to leave directline insurance as they want to charge me a lot more for staying them than for going elsewhere.

I am thinking of asking them for a letter of my years of no claims discount - anyone ever done this with an insurer and whether it is worthwhile or not?

I read on MSE forums that a lot of insurers take no notice of NCB years from other companies?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3118982&page=2

Hi,

I am about to leave directline insurance as they want to charge me a lot more for staying them than for going elsewhere.

I am thinking of asking them for a letter of my years of no claims discount - anyone ever done this with an insurer and whether it is worthwhile or not?

I read on MSE forums that a lot of insurers take no notice of NCB years from other companies?

http://forums.moneys...=3118982&page=2

Your no claims years should be on your renewal letter somewhere. That's what the new insurer requires.

You can get quotes with and without no claims years, and you will find it makes a huge difference to the quote.

Normally they do this without any problem. Just ask. I did, and they sent me one.

I have 7 years on Directline but when I go on Aviva's site it only allows up to state you have 5 years - is this an issue?

Also, Aviva have protected no claims discount option and a guaranteed no claims discount option which is about £15 more?

Anyone know about this guaranteed one?

I have 7 years on Directline but when I go on Aviva's site it only allows up to state you have 5 years - is this an issue?

Also, Aviva have protected no claims discount option and a guaranteed no claims discount option which is about £15 more?

Anyone know about this guaranteed one?

It means they only count up to five years and the premiums don't get any lower if you have more than that. Don't know about the guaranteed no claims discount.

Normally they do this without any problem. Just ask. I did, and they sent me one.

+1. I've had to do this on virtually every occasion I've changed insurer. Can't understand why, as car insurance details go into a central database through which all insurers share their details. I'd have thought that it would be a lot easier to forge a NCD letter than it would be to create a fictitious entry on that database. Still, I've never had any problem getting a letter out of the insurer I'm leaving. Never occurred to me to send the renewal quote letter - thanks for the tip.

Directline will not send such a letter until my policy has expired. I wonder if they then ask for a charge to send it out?

Aviva are a good £100 less than Directline's quote which I did online and the quote I did online with Directline was a £100 or thereabouts less than their automatic renewal quote.

For years now Directline have been sending me auto renewals and I have gone online, got a new quote from them which has been cheaper than the auto renewal but this year they gave me all sorts of hassle on the telephone that I have gone looking elsewhere.

And I thought I made my life difficult. Seriously, chillax

It should be in your DL renewal paperwork but if not, I would expect the new provider to give you a month or so to provide proof of NCD which would be plenty of time for a conscientious soul to sort out.

In fact, last time I changed I just have them my previous policy number and ins co. Presumably they can check if they want.

Directline will not send such a letter until my policy has expired.

Presumably in order to make sure that no claim is made after the letter is sent but while the policy is still running. The last time I changed (from Endsleigh to Tesco IIRC), Tesco gave me a month's grace to get the NCD letter to them, and I got it about a week after the outgoing policy expired. As I opined above, doing it on an entirely paper-based basis seems to me a bit cumbersome, but it's never gone wrong in my case, and no-one has ever made me try to pay for the letter. I suspect it would contravene competition law if they did.

Aviva are a good £100 less than Directline's quote which I did online and the quote I did online with Directline was a £100 or thereabouts less than their automatic renewal quote.

The last time I renewed with Tesco their renewal quote was around £70 more than I was able to find on a couple of comparison sites. So I rang them up asking for the NCD letter, even though I hadn't actually bought the new policy at that point - I just knew that I was about to. The woman asked me why I was leaving Tesco and I told her. What was the cheapest quote you've got, she asked? We may be able to do something about that! Intrigued, I decided to try a little experiment at that point. I quoted a figure that was actually £30 lower than the one I'd actually seen, i.e. around £100 lower than Tesco's quote. Pause. Well, we can give you a loyalty discount, because you earned XXX Clubcard points last year ... [sound of keyboard tapping] ... and I see that you keep the car in a garage overnight ... [more hurried typing] ... and in the end, she renewed for around £110 less than their original written quote, or £40 less than I'd paid the previous year!

I can only presume that they send renewal letters out with an inflated price, calculating that a big enough proportion of recipients will simply renew without arguing that they can afford to cut the price for those who haggle and still come out on top.

So nobody knows anything about this guaranteed no claims discount thingy - not much about it online. Waht there is seems to indicate it ties you into one company.

People on-line have said that they will just load your insurance in another way even though some companies claim not to do this.

So nobody knows anything about this guaranteed no claims discount thingy - not much about it online. Waht there is seems to indicate it ties you into one company.

People on-line have said that they will just load your insurance in another way even though some companies claim not to do this.

I reversed my car into a concrete bollard a couple of years ago. Cost £800 to fix on the insurance. But I had protected NCD and the premium the following year was onky about £30 more than the previous year. So as far as I know it's valid.

The guaranteed NCB is worth taking out. The first accident you keep you built up no claims and any after that reduce your years NBC keeping some of the years.

I know this as I had a prang in my fathers car about 12years ago my fault as I lightly rear ended a farm worker and he made a claim for whiplash, has never worked since and gets what is effectively an annual salary from the policy (occasionally my dad gets updates, a few years back I saw one of the letters and it was about £16k a year). Because my father had a protected NCB his premium did not increasez

I've just transferred my policy to a new insurer (AXA) after being with someone else for over 15 years. This is what they wrote in their email reminder to me about proof of NCD :-

"Please note that we will not be able to return any proof of NCD that is sent in the post so it may be advisable to take a copy for your records.

A copy of your renewal notice from your previous insurer will be acceptable, as long as it shows your NCD entitlement. Please do not send us your original Certificate of Motor Insurance as you may need this for future reference.

The proof must

* be no more than 24 months old

* be issued by a UK insurer

* display your name as the policyholder

If we don't receive the proof within 7 days we will unfortunately have to reduce your NCD to zero years. Your premium may increase as a result and in some circumstances may be cancelled. Any additional premium will be collected by your chosen method of payment. Until your NCD is received and processed your policy will not be validated, which may affect any future claim.

We reserve the right to charge an admin fee of up to £30.00 should a change or correction be made to your policy by a member of our team. This includes reduction of NCD entitlement. "

So I scanned in my previous renewal letter, emailed it to them, and am now sorted (saved £250). AXA are an online company and don't do paperwork (I downloaded pdf's for my policy, etc) so the above may not apply for other companies.

Who are you renewing with ? I moved from Direct Line to Churchill, who told me they didn't need ncd proof as they were part of the same organisation, and that my details were already on their system.

Anyways, when you make a fault claim you lose 2 years NCD. If you have protected NCD (which you can usually get after building up 4 years) you can have up to 3 (well it used to be 3, I've been out of the game for a while) accidents on a single policy without losing any NCD. It doesn't tie you to any one company.

Thing is, I can't understand how you can have built up enough NCD to get protected NCD without having gone through the whole insurance renewal thing before.

Anyways, when you make a fault claim you lose 2 years NCD. If you have protected NCD (which you can usually get after building up 4 years) you can have up to 3 (well it used to be 3, I've been out of the game for a while) accidents on a single policy without losing any NCD. It doesn't tie you to any one company.

I'd have to look up the small print of my current policy, but IIRC it's only one every two years (i.e. you cannot protect your NCD for the renewal following the year in which you made a fault claim that invoked the protection).

Thing is, I can't understand how you can have built up enough NCD to get protected NCD without having gone through the whole insurance renewal thing before.

Presumably you can only protect the number of years' NCD you've actually built up; meaning that it makes less sense to pay extra for a protected NCD if you've only built up one or two years, but more if you manage to stay out of trouble for longer.

I'd have to look up the small print of my current policy, but IIRC it's only one every two years (i.e. you cannot protect your NCD for the renewal following the year in which you made a fault claim that invoked the protection).

Didn't used to be like this and I'm almost certain mine isn't, although each insurer probably has their own rules. I made a claim last year and still have protected NCD this year, I'm with Esure.

Presumably you can only protect the number of years' NCD you've actually built up; meaning that it makes less sense to pay extra for a protected NCD if you've only built up one or two years, but more if you manage to stay out of trouble for longer.

I was referring to the OP having enough NCD to protect, but being seemingly unaware of how the renewal process works. Unless they've always been with the same insurer.

A copy of your renewal notice from your previous insurer will be acceptable, as long as it shows your NCD entitlement. Please do not send us your original Certificate of Motor Insurance as you may need this for future reference.

The proof must

* be no more than 24 months old

I've been without a car using a motorbike for nearly 12 months, do most insurers allow gaps of 2 years?.

I was almost thinking of insuring a cheap car for £400 and saving £500 on a zero NCD quote.

I've been without a car using a motorbike for nearly 12 months, do most insurers allow gaps of 2 years?.

I was almost thinking of insuring a cheap car for £400 and saving £500 on a zero NCD quote.

I've just renewed my motorcycle insurance with bennetts and I think they consider a gap of only two months or less to keep your accrued NCD (moved from Motorcycle Direct), Hastings was 24months but the premium offered was pathetic.