House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
guitarman001

Swindon

Anybody know anything about Swindon? Basically there are a few jobs there that pay well (and yes I'm still considering abroad, just getting a feel)... to me the houses look very expensive compared to Scotland, though perhaps not AS bad as those places right next to Edinburgh... If you could have a £35k job in Edinburgh or £45k job in Swindon, what would you choose when considering living costs/house costs etc?

All info appreciated!

Anybody know anything about Swindon? Basically there are a few jobs there that pay well (and yes I'm still considering abroad, just getting a feel)... to me the houses look very expensive compared to Scotland, though perhaps not AS bad as those places right next to Edinburgh... If you could have a £35k job in Edinburgh or £45k job in Swindon, what would you choose when considering living costs/house costs etc?

All info appreciated!

It's not a very nice place. Very grim and concrete. From Edinburgh to Swindon would be a bit of a culture shock! There is some nice countryside around it though but the centre is grim. However I did read that house prices there are going to get hit hard during the cuts because there is a high proportion of public sector workers.

S

All info appreciated!

warmer than Edinburgh but not comparable as a city - Edinburgh is a capital city after all with the associated culture.

Nice towns and villages around, but Swindon itself is a sh*thole.

Depends on your personal circs really and how you like to live.

If I could stand the cold and didn't have a southern accent that generates prejudice amongst the locals, then Edinburgh would be my choice of the two.

It's not a very nice place. Very grim and concrete. From Edinburgh to Swindon would be a bit of a culture shock! There is some nice countryside around it though but the centre is grim. However I did read that house prices there are going to get hit hard during the cuts because there is a high proportion of public sector workers.

S

Slug, Assume you mean Edinburgh:

City: Public Sector Workers Percentage of Workforce

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City of Edinburgh 69000 22.66

Swindon 18600 16.85

Maidstone 19700 27.86 (well known to be immune from any falls)

Swindon has a relatively diversified workforce, split between the tech companies (Telco mostly), The insurance/finance group (Zurich/Nationwide), Honda screwing cars together and the BMW mini pressing plant and then theres the swindon council and research councils, as well as the national trust fr the public and third sectors.

Prices of housing vary depending on where you look...two bed flat prices have plummeted already and will probably continue to do so. Its cheaper than most of the surrounding cities...(Oxford/Reading/Bristol) or the surrounding countryside.

The city centre is not the most desirable place, to be sure, but you are nicely situated to go to the country surrounding...

Swindon is nowhere near as grim as some people here seem to think!

The town has too many roundabouts!

The surrounding countryside is quite nice! :huh:

Swindon ain't so bad, sure there's the rough parts same as all other towns & city's. There's not a huge crime rate and it doesn't have a huge drug culture, it is true to say that the town centre's a shithole though.

House prices are high, local EA's refuse to take any notice of the 18% drop that south west house prices have seen since the peek of 2007. There is a brand new development right next to the M4 called Wichelstowe which I'm told has been completely overrun with social housing, now this shouldn't normally be a problem but when I hear of some families refusing to put their children into the local school because of some of the local children you have to question what's going on.

The house prices alone are enough to put me off, I've been here since 95 and I'm now looking to get out...

I live in Swindon and have lived around Wiltshire all my life.

Yes the bottom of town in Swindon is a bit of a dump and does desperately cry out for a re-vamp, but the top (Old Town) is good for a night out.

There are areas around Swindon that are not so nice to live in, but there are other areas that are nice too, same as any town.

Local villages are pretty much all nice areas to live in (IMO)

Lets not forget that Swindon also has great transport routes. A 25 minute train to Bristol and Reading and a 50 minute train to London as well

as quick access to the M4 and M5. There is also the outlet designer village for shopping

As far as prices are concerned, Swindon is one of the cheaper areas in the South West. You can get a decent 3 bed detached for £175 - 200K in a nice area.

Other towns nearby include Malmesbury, Cricklade and Cirencester which are quieter and overall nicer towns, but there is less to do there, but Swindon is only a short drive away.

Edited by OzzMosiz

All info appreciated!

Edited by wheresitgone

I'm looking around the Wiltshire area for a property, have been watching prices drop slowly, but they are dropping, I have been looking at Wootton Bassett, Wroughton and surrounding villages, does anyone know anything about Highworth? Chav levels, crime, general feel for the area, I obviously will be doing a bit of on foot research soon, but a bit of local knowledge would be useful, thanks in advance.

I'm looking around the Wiltshire area for a property, have been watching prices drop slowly, but they are dropping, I have been looking at Wootton Bassett, Wroughton and surrounding villages, does anyone know anything about Highworth? Chav levels, crime, general feel for the area, I obviously will be doing a bit of on foot research soon, but a bit of local knowledge would be useful, thanks in advance.

It was nice 35 years ago!

Just did a Streetview walk through the high street, the pubs are all still there, otherwise nearly every shop except the newsagents and the travel agents has gone. That's pretty standard for Tesco Britain though. Plenty of EAs now.....

It was nice 35 years ago!

Just did a Streetview walk through the high street, the pubs are all still there, otherwise nearly every shop except the newsagents and the travel agents has gone. That's pretty standard for Tesco Britain though. Plenty of EAs now.....

Hi Swissy

I noticed they do have a Tesco Express there, but it looks a good walk from the High Street, have you lived there or locally to the town? I currently live on the borders of Slough and Wiltshire Market Towns and villages look like paradise in comparison.

It was nice 15 years ago when I was last there, they even have a

of sorts.

Driving north from Swindon the main road through Highworth, the bits to the right (east) always seemed much nicer than the west side. Possibly because that means you can walk to the centre without having to cross the busy main road. There was one pub that was a no-go area (can't remember the name but on the busy main road). Couple of nice pubs on the high street and a great little cellar wine bar, also a fabulous old open air swimming pool, its been "modernised" recently so I'm not sure what its like now.

Theres a fairly big co-op right near the centre which had the effect of shutting down almost all the (over-priced) local food shops.

Property wise theres lots of 1970's era semis in varying states of repair.

When you get bored Oxford is a 40 minute drive away if you boot it.

One other thing to be aware of is that the tree lined road from Highworth to Swindon used to have a rather high accident/fatality rate, they were almost all drunk drivers late at night.

I suspect when RAF Lyneham closes at the end of 2012 there will be some bargains going in Wootton Bassett.

It was nice 15 years ago when I was last there, they even have a

of sorts.

Driving north from Swindon the main road through Highworth, the bits to the right (east) always seemed much nicer than the west side. Possibly because that means you can walk to the centre without having to cross the busy main road. There was one pub that was a no-go area (can't remember the name but on the busy main road). Couple of nice pubs on the high street and a great little cellar wine bar, also a fabulous old open air swimming pool, its been "modernised" recently so I'm not sure what its like now.

Theres a fairly big co-op right near the centre which had the effect of shutting down almost all the (over-priced) local food shops.

Property wise theres lots of 1970's era semis in varying states of repair.

When you get bored Oxford is a 40 minute drive away if you boot it.

One other thing to be aware of is that the tree lined road from Highworth to Swindon used to have a rather high accident/fatality rate, they were almost all drunk drivers late at night.

I suspect when RAF Lyneham closes at the end of 2012 there will be some bargains going in Wootton Bassett.

Cheers Oli,

I know Wootton Bassett pretty well and have seen some of the properties on Green Park start dropping quite heavily in my price range, I've viewed a few there and in Wroughton, not to buy now, mainly for research, Highworth interested me as again it's a small Market Town within my circle area, thanks for your input.

Edited by Ungeared

Hi Swissy

I noticed they do have a Tesco Express there, but it looks a good walk from the High Street, have you lived there or locally to the town? I currently live on the borders of Slough and Wiltshire Market Towns and villages look like paradise in comparison.

It wouldn't be fair to comment as I only lived there as a child, only Windrush and Haresfield of the surrounding estates had been built, I think the population has probably doubled since. It was nice in lots of places in the 70s!

There was one pub that was a no-go area (can't remember the name but on the busy main road). Couple of nice pubs on the high street and a great little cellar wine bar, also a fabulous old open air swimming pool, its been "modernised" recently so I'm not sure what its like now.

The dodgy pub would probably be the Fishes which looks boarded up on Streetview.

I learned to swim in that pool, we had swimming lessons from April onwards, the pool was OK but the changing rooms were icy cold, like changing outdoors!

I've been looking for some time at property in Swindon town centre.

There is quite a lot appearing on the market, but only the stuff priced very cheaply is selling.

Shire court is an interesting case.

These are cheap studios and are the cheapest property in the town centre.

Currently there are two up for sale for £45k.

This is the same price as they were selling for in 2001.

The peak price was £74k in 2006.