House Price Crash Forum

Definition Of A Ftb

HOLA441

Morning all, I have a question regarding FTB and deeds.

I believe to be a FTB according to the government definition (I have never bought a house before neither in the UK or abroad), although I own 2 flats in France I did not pay for them. Anyway, lets assume for a minute that I am illegible to not paying stamp duty because of my FTB status.

My partner part owned a house in the (distant) past so if I bought a house with her we would not be classified as FTB and would have to pay duty (so up to £2500). As she has no substantial deposit I would be tempted to buy the house on my own but in doing so she would not be on the deed.

Could the deed be updated in a few years time to include her?

HOLA442

I'm in a similar position. However, there is very little wriggle room.

http://www.direct.go...come/DG_4015918

First-time buyers

If you are a first-time buyer the threshold for when you start to pay SDLT is £250,000.

This is only if you have never owned a house or flat in the UK or anywhere else in the world.

If you are buying with someone else they must never have owned property before either.

This higher threshold applies to purchases made on or after 25 March 2010 and before 25 March 2012.

I'd guess that they will sting you on a later transfer too, because you will then be buying it together.

HOLA443