House Price Crash Forum

How's The Chance Of Ir Cuts Going?

HOLA441
Guest Charlie The Tramp
I made sure 30 minutes before the supermarket shut I put 5p stickers on all of this produce and placed it right by the entrance. The management could not complain as I pointed out to them they might as well get a few extra pence then none.

Just shows if the management could not work that one out that`s why the country is going to the dogs.

Many lions led by donkies.

:D

HOLA442
I made sure 30 minutes before the supermarket shut I put 5p stickers on all of this produce and placed it right by the entrance. The management could not complain as I pointed out to them they might as well get a few extra pence then none.

Except I bet they were worried that no-one bought anything during the day - all waiting for happy-hour!

HOLA443
Except I bet they were worried that no-one bought anything during the day - all waiting for happy-hour!

I'm sure I saw a prog where the supermarkets often donated unsold (soft) drinks and sandwiches to the local handout centres for down and outs?

Maybe they have stopped doing this because they were frightened of getting sued by someone who got food poisoning from eating a dodgy sarnie... ( eg by an 'ex BTL' turned 'down and out' maybe? Think of the yield on that dodgy chicken tikka roll)

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

HOLA444

So, what sort of costs are going to go up for somebody renting out houses in the near future? [Levy process]

See 'Higher fee will bar poorest debtors from bankruptcy, says Citizens Advice':

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/macnn/ind...ress-040123.htm

In a letter to the consumer affairs minister Gerry Sutcliffe, Citizens Advice Chief Executive David Harker says plans for a hike in the fee run counter to government policy on debt and will mean prolonged misery for many who face a lifetime of harassment by creditors with no means to meet their demands.

HOLA445
"reminds me of the 70s"

Charlie, maybe you and I are the only ones here old enough to remember them..

No another old(ish) git here :)

My take in interest rates and there direction… it doesn’t mater.

If they go down (ie GB pressures the external members of the BoE), then in the short term things are okish… people are not so pressured by interest payments, but in the medium term inflation goes up, which results in unemployment rising, people are scared of loosing their job, so don’t spend including on housing… net result house prices fall.

If interest rates go up, then people will have to spend more on interest payments, so unable to buy at x5 salary, house prices will drop to around x3.

ie no matter which way interest rates go, the result is inevitable :D

Personally I’d prefer them to rise… better for the savers, and possibly speeds up the crash.

Edited by beerhunter

HOLA446
HOLA447
You can add me to the list of those old enough.

The 1970s were a dreadful time. The only benficiaries were those with big loans who saw the the value of their debts eroded to a fraction of their original worth. The huge losers were those (like my Grandparents) living on fixed incomes who saw the value of their life savings remorselessly stripped away.

This is what I'm scared of. Maybe I should buy some gold after all...

HOLA448
HOLA449
You can add me to the list of those old enough.

The 1970s were a dreadful time. The only benficiaries were those with big loans who saw the the value of their debts eroded to a fraction of their original worth. The huge losers were those (like my Grandparents) living on fixed incomes who saw the value of their life savings remorselessly stripped away.

Actually did not interest rates keep pace with inflation? Or was that Thatcher's doing? Is there a graph of inflation versus interest rates in the 70s?

HOLA4410
Actually did not interest rates keep pace with inflation? Or was that Thatcher's doing? Is there a graph of inflation versus interest rates in the 70s?

No graph, but do have the raw data:

http://www.eh.net/hmit/inflation/inflationr.php

http://www.eh.net/hmit/inflation/

Input whatever range of years you want to know about.

http://213.225.136.206/statistics/rates/baserate.pdf

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
You must be joking!!!!!!!!

That is the basis of my arrival at this forum, cost-push inflation being a major reason for rents to rise.

TTRTR

Rents are not set by landlords, nor by agents. Rents are are determined by the market. If landlord's costs rise, it does not follow that rents wiil increase. It is simply a matter of supply and demand.

selkirk

Edited by selkirk

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
TTRTR

Rents are not set by landlords, nor by agents. Rents are are determined by the market. If landlord's costs rise, it does not follow that rents wiil increase. It is simply a matter of supply and demand.

selkirk

Agreed. In fact rising costs will mean less money in peoples pockets. With so many empty flats looking for tenants then one possible outcome will be that tenants move to more desperate (i.e. cheaper) landlords. I think it's about now that the massive rise in amateur BTL starts to hit the professional landlord in the pocket.