House Price Crash Forum
bogbrush

Balls To Be On Bbc At 8.10

Anyway we know the script;

"reckless cuts", " taking risks with jobs", "too far too fast", "we handed over growth".

No doubt some more conflating of deficit and debt, numerous references to it all being down to the bank crisis (the structural deficit being airbrushed from history) and of course little or nothing challenged on facts by Beeb "journalists".

Thankfully none of it matters, they are standing on the sidelines for another 4 years.

"reckless cuts", " taking risks with jobs", "too far too fast", "we handed over growth".

No doubt some more conflating of deficit and debt, numerous references to it all being down to the bank crisis (the structural deficit being airbrushed from history) and of course little or nothing challenged on facts by Beeb "journalists".

Thankfully none of it matters, they are standing on the sidelines for another 4 years.

Would be funny if they did it in the QI studio, where the huge alarm goes off whenever something predictable but totally wrong is said :)

I was impressed by the interviewer, whose name eludes me (tip-of-the-tongue). She wasn't going to let him evade and bully her, but neither did she come across as a Humphreys-like bully refusing to take even a good-faith answer. She was well-prepared with real quotes from his own mouth when Balls tried to lie, and had some history of Balls's own track record to hand when he tried to say how good things had been on his watch. To do that with Balls takes .... balls!

Good on you, Today programme!

Edited by porca misèria

If you are referring to any references he makes about his own party, then you missed out the "n"

I was impressed by the interviewer, whose name eludes me (tip-of-the-tongue). She wasn't going to let him evade and bully her, but neither did she come across as a Humphreys-like bully refusing to take even a good-faith answer. She was well-prepared with real quotes from his own mouth when Balls tried to lie, and had some history of Balls's own track record to hand when he tried to say how good things had been on his watch. To do that with Balls takes .... balls!

Good on you, Today programme!

I agree, I believe it was Sarah Montague. Really good job in trying to get the **** admit he was the designer of the strategy which spawned the crisis.

Sky Newsreader... "Should we do the same as Portugal and not pay off our debts?" :lol:

She is not wrong...QE is defaulting on debt, why not just be honest about it all?

"Hard pressed families"....Oh noes, Tories nicked that one.

That's what they do with nearly all ham these days -

loads of cuts then 'formed' by "hard pressing"! :rolleyes:

He has been touting the "Labour cut the national deficit" line around everywhere he goes. False as far as I know, but it seems to go unchallenged.

Also, just as Brown did, he is passing off the financial crisis as just something that took place in the USA and was purely a freakish event; not something that could have been reduced or in anyway prepared for and not in anyway exacerbated in the UK by irresponsible Labour economic policies.

He has been touting the "Labour cut the national deficit" line around everywhere he goes. False as far as I know, but it seems to go unchallenged.

Also, just as Brown did, he is passing off the financial crisis as just something that took place in the USA and was purely a freakish event; not something that could have been reduced or in anyway prepared for and not in anyway exacerbated in the UK by irresponsible Labour economic policies.

The national debt fell under NuLab in Brown's "prudence" years, about the first three years of NuLab.

That's why interest rates were able to come down towards the 5% ballpark without busting the economy.

Then it started rising again from about 2000, but interest rates failed to rise to match 'cos monetary policy was targeting a measure of the rise of Chinese manufacturing. So by about 2002 we were heading into a debt bubble, real inflation passed 10% in 2004 and stayed in double-digits 'til the bust, and the rest is history.

I wish I had your optimism :(

The alternative (to the optimism) is despair. ;)

One thing that surprises me is how easy a ride the Coalition are getting on all this; I know they get some sh1t but considering what's happening it's remarkably gentle (look at the polls - the Tories are only a handful of points behind Labour). I can only conclude from this that although lots of people distrust them and will get pi$$ed off, there's also a strong sense of recognistion that the place is in the clag and we've got this coming.

It's possible that the more Labour go on about how badly the Tories are doing them more they risk painting themselves as unrealistic.

The other thing that occurs is that on the whole I think Labour get elected when people feel the country is doing well (and we want to spend it all) and the Tories when it's all gone to Hell in a handcart (and it needs sorting). A quick sense check through my 35 years of being interested in this sort of thing seems to tally with that. Perhaps Labour wil get back in only when there's no deficit and people want the tap back on.

The national debt fell under NuLab in Brown's "prudence" years, about the first three years of NuLab.

That's why interest rates were able to come down towards the 5% ballpark without busting the economy.

And wasn't that because he kept to Tory spending plans for the first few years?

I listened to this and thought it needed picking up too. My memory's a bit hazy, but by taking out PFI and fiddling didn't the reported borrowing figure fall when in reality the actual debt rose? I'm sure some things wre excluded from the borrowing figures.