House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FedupTeddiBear

I'm Fuming...

A week ago we received a letter from the letting agent to "notify" us of electrical work that was to be carried out today. "If you will not be at home at the time of the repairs, the landlord's keys will be used to access the property".

As I have been very busy at work recently I forgot completely about the letter and arrived home today to find that the house had been "visited". A few things had been moved around and the floor had been swept (remains of white dust) but I did not notice anything else.

Later, on autopilot, assuming that everything was clean, as usual, (I was really tired and my 3-year-old was jumping about in the kitchen) I used a wooden chopping board that was out on the worktop to cut up vegetables and put them into a saucepan that is stored on an open shelf above my eye-level. I used various other utensils etc that are usually stored on hooks, shelves etc. while preparing a meal for my family. It was only when I opened one of the cupboards to find it littered INSIDE ???!!! with paint dust, chippings etc - plates, bowls, etc all had either chips or a layer of paint dust that I checked the remaining items that were in the open. Everything was covered in a fine layer of paint dust with occasional tiny chips of paint, concrete, woodchip etc.

The house is a 1940s semi so probably contains lead-based paint or worse...I could very easily have fed some of the shepherds pie to my child.

Needless to say I had to ditch the shepherds pie - wasted time and money - and had to do a quick fried egg on toast for my son - which was when the pieces of plaster in the toaster were discovered!

We have since found that the heating thermostat now grates when adjusted and the boiler is making strange noises.

Am I overrreacting? What can I do about this, if anything. Did they have the right to access the property without my consent and leave potentially hazardous dust all over eating and cooking utensils??

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

As I understand it, a landlord has right to reasonable access to carry out maintenance and repairs for which they are responsible. They should also seek the tenant's permission and give at least 24 h notice.

They gave you ample notice and time in which to object to the visit and/or rearrange it for another time. They also explained to you what they proposed to do (ie enter the property with their key) if you were not at home. The OFT as I understand it requires that LLs get the tenant's consent OR give reasonable notice. They clearly did the latter so I don't think you have any recourse.

As for the mess-it is regrettable but if everyone sued every workman that left a mess courts would have to sit 24/7! Again, the mess is due to you not preparing for their visit and leaving stuff out. If they are doing electrical work I would have thought that most dust is plaster dust which is not hazardous.

Thanks anyway - as mentioned earlier, very tired & stressed at the moment - have been working long hours and taking lots of work home - all I needed was extra mess to clean up. I need a holiday (or a stiff drink!!)

I'd be moderately pissed at this due to the letting agents attitude. In my opinion sending a letter 'notifying' you that your home is going to be entered and work carried out at a particular time is unacceptable. Arrange a convenient time, explain what the work is for, how it might affect you, etc. The tenant is a paying customer, the property is their home for the duration of the tenancy. If work needs doing a mutually convenient time is arranged, you shouldn't just be told when it's happening and tough tits if you're out sonny we've got a key.

As a courtesy if not a legal requirement they require your permission to enter your home. The letting agents attitude stinks, you've been treated like a child. How did they even know the letter arrived?

Know your place lowly renter! Pisses me off.

I'd be moderately pissed at this due to the letting agents attitude. In my opinion sending a letter 'notifying' you that your home is going to be entered and work carried out at a particular time is unacceptable. Arrange a convenient time, explain what the work is for, how it might affect you, etc. The tenant is a paying customer, the property is their home for the duration of the tenancy. If work needs doing a mutually convenient time is arranged, you shouldn't just be told when it's happening and tough tits if you're out sonny we've got a key.

As a courtesy if not a legal requirement they require your permission to enter your home. The letting agents attitude stinks, you've been treated like a child. How did they even know the letter arrived?

+1

I wish tenants had a statutory right to change the locks when they moved in. To me, an essential part of peaceful enjoyment and feeling at home is being able to control who comes into the place where you live. I am fully aware that landlords and their agents can stroll in whenever they feel like it, and having had it happen to me a couple of times I nowadays expect it. It puts me slightly on edge, not a good feeling.

Understand exactly what you are saying. I may be an EA and LA, but I am also a tenant.

However, when you call out a contractor to fix something in your own home or in your rented home should the repair be your responsibility, then the contractor in most cases if not all will tell you the day they are available and may not be able to give you a time. Unless of course this is an emergency.

Very much the same when you order something from say Argos. You will get a day, but the time could be 8am to 1pm.

At least when an agent is notifying you of a contractor visiting for required work which should really be to benefit you with regards to safety or improvement of something, then they can at least give you a time which should help to organise your diary.

Very much the same when you order something from say Argos. You will get a day, but the time could be 8am to 1pm.

I've taken a number of deliveries from Argos, and found them consistently excellent at coming at my choice of time (and that's on free delivery).

Fair enough, but I assume you know the point I was trying to make..

:P

Today by contrast, still waiting for a delivery from bloody Amazon. And this is a paid delivery :angry:

Edited by porca misèria