House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
theonlywayisdown

Quality Newbuilds

Following on from another thread, does anyone know of any housebuilders that have built houses/flats within the past 20 years that are as good as (or even better) quality as those typical 3-bed semis that were built during the 50s-60s?

Do they even exist? I'm ofc, talking about affordable newbuilds in the sub 250k range, nothing near the high end, just to make sure we're comparing apples with apples.

Dont know about now, but in the 90s you seemed to pay a premium to have a Bovis, Charles Church or Berkeley home, whereas Barratt, Wilcon and a few others were the dregs.

Not sure how so many Barratt homes are still standing TBH.

Following on from another thread, does anyone know of any housebuilders that have built houses/flats within the past 20 years that are as good as (or even better) quality as those typical 3-bed semis that were built during the 50s-60s?

Do they even exist? I'm ofc, talking about affordable newbuilds in the sub 250k range, nothing near the high end, just to make sure we're comparing apples with apples.

I don't think 1960's homes are of high quality were they? They are also very pretty ugly compared to victorian and inter-war 1930's semis, and even modern ones.

As for decent house builders-whatever is posted here will get shouted down with "xyz is rubbish etc" so I think you're on a hiding to nothing. I've never lived in a modern house but of my friends that do, CALA seem to be of decent quality and stand up over the years. But I'm sure someone will tell me otherwise :D

Ingram occasionally make some great houses. Can be hit and miss with flats though.

Got my eye on a development in east anglia with:

• Ground Source Heat Pumps (with vertical boreholes)
  • Mechanical whole house Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
  • Triple glazed windows with U value of around 1.2.
  • 5" cavities with superior insulation

A number of buildings built in the 1960's suffer from concrete cancer and/or were poorly built...In my area, housing associations are knocking them down and replacing them with new builds...

I've rented quite a few new builds during the last decade and the only one I was really impressed with was a Crest Nicholson flat , it was really well insulated and quiet, think my gas bill over the 1st quarter was something like £8.50.

No such thing... though the ugly 1970s and 1980s uber concrete buildings will last forever.

Btw did anybody notice watcihng videos of Japan that many of the houses there appear to be extremely thin walled almost shipping container like? Thats us in the future that is.... except you'll be paying several quintillion quid for it.

My flat in Manc was a quality new build.

It gave me many a quality laugh. One time I went away for just two days, and returned to find a giant mushroom growing in the stair well.

Breakfast thought I.

The 4 bedroom 80's built Barratt home my parents own has been fine - 'reliable', original doors/windows (Wooden so do need some TLC), but it's been dry, spacious enough. Just a shame it has wooden floors downstairs rather than solid; THUD THUD THUD as people walk about.

The main gripe is it is very poorly insulated. We've put additional in the loft, but the original windows are hopeless.

Btw did anybody notice watcihng videos of Japan that many of the houses there appear to be extremely thin walled almost shipping container like? Thats us in the future that is....

That's the future if you decide to live in an earthquake zone as the Japanese have learned to do

In the wake of last month's earthquake underneath Christchurch the authorities are talking about knocking all the surviving brick-built heritage buildings down rather than have them fall down on top of people next time