House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yokel

You And I Buy 18 Properties Off-Plan

Radio report on BBC Hereford and Worcester today:

A couple have been denied their "dream home" because when they went to the building site to sign up they were told the houses (18 I think) had already been bought off plan by the MOD for service families. This is on a new bit of a large development in SW Hereford (mostly about 10 years old).

Leaving aside the merits of the policy of buying private houses for service families, the builders must have been pinching themselves when Mr MOD came along.

Obviously the BBC didn't ask questions like `how much have they paid?' or `could they get cheaper better houses elsewhere in the area, especially if they waited a year?'.

I wondered if the builder said something like `Yeah, you can have that one for only 100,000 x the price you pay for a light bulb`

Why does the govt mess around with shared equity stuff when it can prop up property just by buying it?

Y

A couple have been denied their "dream home" because when they went to the building site to sign up they were told the houses (18 I think) had already been bought off plan by the MOD for service families. This is on a new bit of a large development in SW Hereford (mostly about 10 years old).

Leaving aside the merits of the policy of buying private houses for service families, the builders must have been pinching themselves when Mr MOD came along.

Obviously the BBC didn't ask questions like `how much have they paid?' or `could they get cheaper better houses elsewhere in the area, especially if they waited a year?'.

I wondered if the builder said something like `Yeah, you can have that one for only 100,000 x the price you pay for a light bulb`

Why does the govt mess around with shared equity stuff when it can prop up property just by buying it?

Y

This is why i never watch BBC local news. I always sit there gobsmacked as the 'journalist' ask's dozens of irrelevant questions whilst ignoring anything that may be in the public interest.

Ive even thought of uploading BBC Look East footage on to Youtube and adding my own commentary to illustrate the point, not sure how legal that would be (or how long it would take)

This is why i never watch BBC local news. I always sit there gobsmacked as the 'journalist' ask's dozens of irrelevant questions whilst ignoring anything that may be in the public interest.

Ive even thought of uploading BBC Look East footage on to Youtube and adding my own commentary to illustrate the point, not sure how legal that would be (or how long it would take)

I wish someone would have the guts to do that, I certainly don't.

Y

I don't see what's wrong with them buying houses for service families, given that they're going to need them long-term.

Would you prefer MOD (i.e. taxpayer) housing costs to go straight into the pockets of BTLers?

It'll probably be for the SAS, they are based in Hereford. A tough job, those guys deserve a decent family home much more than most who get a government provided house in this country.

I don't disagree (wouldn't dare), But there have got to be better ways of giving their families a stable home than buying a whole development off plan. The MOD aren't good at getting good value.

Possibly not the actual serving SAS though - I'd have thought a lot of them need a very secure place for them and their families to live.

Y

I don't see what's wrong with them buying houses for service families, given that they're going to need them long-term.

Would you prefer MOD (i.e. taxpayer) housing costs to go straight into the pockets of BTLers?

No, I would prefer the MOD to use money efficiently (which may be the case here, we don't know because the BBC didn't ask) whether it is on housing, lightbulbs, Nimrods, aircraft carriers or whatever. Buying properties off plan doesn't have a great recent record of financial success.

Y

No, I would prefer the MOD to use money efficiently (which may be the case here, we don't know because the BBC didn't ask) whether it is on housing, lightbulbs, Nimrods, aircraft carriers or whatever. Buying properties off plan doesn't have a great recent record of financial success.

Y

Buying several (let alone 18) often brings a hefty discount, though.

Whether the MOD was canny enough to negotiate one is another matter.

In any case, I'd still prefer them to buy than to enrich BTLers at taxpayer expense.*

Quite enough of that already via HB.

*As long as a cretinous future govt. doesn't flog them off at the bottom of a future market, like a previous one did.

It will be for the family's of the soldiers who get a house guaranteed from the MOD with furnishings , many are at it now its become the big perk ,my wife's hairdresser has just taken this course she had no chance getting on the housing ladder with her partner in the forces so the only way was for them to get Married stay in bed until the inevitable happens then BINGO sorted.