House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aa3

Challenges Or Opportunities?

I notice many societal challenges the common thinking is automatically to assume they are insurmountable, and to dread how they will lead to a lower standard of living. For example affordable housing/lack of available housing.

A guestimate from me is Britain needs 2 million more housing units across the country over the next decade to meet current housing shortage and the housing needs of the 2.5 million net population growth expected. At least 1 million of these houses in Greater London. If half of these were my favorite, 15-20 story condo buildings with 150 units in each building, so 500,000 units in London, that would require 3,300 of these buildings to be built in Greater London. I believe in building these condo towers right clustered on major public transportation links.

An additional 500,000 housing units could be built in new suburbs expanding into the green belt. Since Greater London already has around 4 million housing units, this isn't that bad of an expansion.

Anyway the point is the number of jobs this would create in constructing these 1 million housing units in London. From architects, to engineers, to building supply firms, to transport companies, to construction trades, to infrastructure related expansion work. Its sad but in economics that growth is what gets the money flowing. With all those guys employed in good jobs, they in turn would go out and spend the money. For a nation with millions of unemployed and a housing shortage it seems a no-brainer.

This is one of the problems with the collective bearish HPC mindset.

People on this site see everything as insurmountable, where in reality, bad situations create new opportunities.

Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

20 years ago we barely had industries such as IT, mobile phones, coffee shops, green energy, online marketing, and low cost travel. Who knows what is going to come up in the future and how many jobs it will create?

This is why it's so short sighted to load students with debt and cut research and infrastructure investment. We need to use our resources to make sure we own the next generation of industry.

Edited by Kyoto

If the unemployed or those who wanted to purchase their first home were in control of the political process your proposal might have a chance. Otherwise forget it.

A terrible problem imo is probably a majority of the people who actually vote are elderly people.. who are on generous 'guarunteed' pensions. Even if they stop every single development in their area they feel they are still entitled to that large monthly cheque they were promised. And the political leaders are selected by them.

But from a simple mathemtical perspective if there is little economic activity Britain will not be able to meet all their pensions.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I would rather live in a house, than a "housing unit", or what are euphemistically called "homes".

These are usually tiny cardboard flats! Whatever has been built has been the "wrong stuff", and the Gov't's answer is to "help" FTBs

to own a "share" of these! What a joke! :blink: :angry:

For example affordable housing/lack of available housing.

A guestimate from me is Britain needs 2 million more housing units across the country over the next decade to meet current housing shortage and the housing needs of the 2.5 million net population growth expected. At least 1 million of these houses in Greater London. If half of these were my favorite, 15-20 story condo buildings with 150 units in each building, so 500,000 units in London, that would require 3,300 of these buildings to be built in Greater London. I believe in building these condo towers right clustered on major public transportation links.

An additional 500,000 housing units could be built in new suburbs expanding into the green belt. Since Greater London already has around 4 million housing units, this isn't that bad of an expansion.

You don't mean like the French projects?

15election600.1.jpg

If they are to be affordable, I'd hope they are well designed to allow for pleasant and safe community living and integration. Well built so not requiring lots of money to maintain. It has to be done right.

You want affordable housing but also the proceeds to allow all those involved in the project [architects, engineers and all the rest in your list] to earn enough supplying affordable housing to go splurging profits in the economy, which you think will create long term well paid jobs for the people buying the affordable housing? I just wish the economy could be less dependent upon property and trying to get young people to take on maximum debt. Transport and construction trades, infrastructure related work? Building new housing and hoping these old sectors will kick-start the economy and new growth is not enough in my opinion. We need more good stuff to sell to the world and house building alone isn't going to create much by way of a long term recovery. I'm not fully against it though if your 20 storey condos actually were really affordable and thoughtfully designed.

15election600.1.jpg

If they are to be affordable, I'd hope they are well designed to allow for pleasant and safe community living and integration. Well built so not requiring lots of money to maintain. It has to be done right.

You want affordable housing but also the proceeds to allow all those involved in the project [architects, engineers and all the rest in your list] to earn enough supplying affordable housing to go splurging profits in the economy, which you think will create long term well paid jobs for the people buying the affordable housing? I just wish the economy could be less dependent upon property and trying to get young people to take on maximum debt. Transport and construction trades, infrastructure related work? Building new housing and hoping these old sectors will kick-start the economy and new growth is not enough in my opinion. We need more good stuff to sell to the world and house building alone isn't going to create much by way of a long term recovery. I'm not fully against it though if your 20 storey condos actually were really affordable and thoughtfully designed.

without protectionism it is effectively what has just happened the last decade, there have been hundreds of thousands of private developments built, architects , engineers, and everyone else has had the money and spent it on FOREIGN goods, it seems aa3s solution is that now the private sector is debted up to its eyeballs and can no longer expand the debt to drive the economy through houseselling, the govt should take on the mantle of rushing towards peak debt and bankruptcy as fast as possible in order to send money abroad.

aa3s motto seems to be if at first you dont succeed and create a spectacular disaster, do it again anyway

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

15election600.1.jpg

I like the condos in Vancouver, Canada.

1249514050building.jpg

This is an under construction 23 story building in Vancouver.

cosmomarch212011p124009.jpg

Ok to do it right its not going to be cheap. But then again London real estate is already so expensive that it seems to me you could build a vey nice 18 story building with a ton of units and still come under the average selling price for the area.

I think to get the ball rolling the state might have to build some of the towers for affordable housing. But the government of the UK is already spending £35 billion pounds a year towards housing benefits. Insted of paying overpriced rents and driving rental prices up, they could calculate just how much they could build for the same, the payment per month.

And even if it cost more, the main benefit is down the road the state will pay it off and own the whole building outright. Building real social capital. Which sadly earlier governments sold off

In the areas closest to downtown London in nice areas, I'm sure there is unlimited profit to be made so the developers merely need the approvals to build them.

To some extent even if each unit costs £300k each, so a building with 150 units costs £45 million.. it doesn't really matter because after its built you own the capital. And all the jobs it creates gets more tax revenues going and more activity.

Edited by aa3