House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sarah_id

Basic Survey

My lender had basic survey done on a 1900 build terrace Victorian house and the lender's asking couple of question to be answered from the estate agents

>SER report on the roof tiles and strengthening the roof structure

>Quote to improve the provision of sub floor ventilation to both the front and rear elevations

I dont understand the implication of these question as to how costly they are and how would estate agent help in this. He could just quote a peanut amt to get things going....

I guess eventually its me who need to get it answered for a cost... sounds like Homebuyers Reports next. Other option is special survey only for issues in the basic survey raised as I assume basic survey must have ruled out major issues like subsidence or a crack in the wall.

Sarah

Edited by sarah_id

It appears that whoever did the survey detected a potential change of roof load. This query is usually raised when the replacement roof covering - slate concrete tile whatever - is heavier than the original with no apparent calculation made for the additional weight and load on the roof structure. Needs a structural surveyor to calculate load and required remedial works.

The ventilation issue is flagging a poorly ventilated subfloor. There is not enough air circulating under the floor. Requires additional air bricks alongside those already in place. This alone is a simple job, the usual recommendation is simply to double up ie. add an additional airbrick between the existing. Beware: If any rising damp was/is detected this could indicate potential problems with rot in the joists at the point of contact with the damp wall under the floor boards.

Good Luck