House Price Crash Forum

600 Euro Speed Cameras In Spain

HOLA441

I heard today that the Spanish have recently introduced speed cameras in tunnels that measure average speed - anyone going over 100 kmp - about 62 miles per hour - will get a 600 Euro fine.

I am told that this is a desperately broke Spain trying to raise revenue.

Did some googling and it appears to be true.

http://news-spain.euroresidentes.com/2011/02/speed-camaras-madrid-and-malaga.html

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Can't really argue with this. They should introduce it here.

Provided that is configured as a punishment for the reckless driver and not just as a tax on the average driver, in the heyday of Scameras almost 50% of motorists had a speeding endorsement.

HOLA446

It's been introduced as part of a set of energy saving measures, as a result of the hike in oil prices. Similar I believe to the low speed limit the US introduced in the 70s. No doubt the fines will provide revenue, but I can't see how you can enforce an overall speed limit without the stick. At least this speed limit is universal, so there is no excuse for breaking it. I'm given to understand that (like the UK) you can break the local speed limit in Spain if you fail to notice a change in circumstances, which is more difficult for the driver.

HOLA447

I heard today that the Spanish have recently introduced speed cameras in tunnels that measure average speed - anyone going over 100 kmp - about 62 miles per hour - will get a 600 Euro fine.

I am told that this is a desperately broke Spain trying to raise revenue.

Did some googling and it appears to be true.

http://news-spain.euroresidentes.com/2011/02/speed-camaras-madrid-and-malaga.html

At best, it would only make a few million euros; bugger all in the scheme of things..Apparently his Cowellness pays more in income tax than the amount raised in speed camera fines in this country.. <_<

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Archived