House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speak&Spell

Insurance & Breakdown Cover

So it's fast approaching that time of year when i have to fork out a bunch of hard earned cash on insurance and breakdown cover. I've currently got my best quote through a broker, who I've been with for a very long time. They offer great service without me ever having to speak to the big insurance companies.

For the renewal quote they are going to charge me £65.00 for breakdown cover (managed to haggle a tenner off). Do you drivers out there buy breakdown with your insurance provider, or do you hunt out a cheaper deal else where? I don't need European cover, just basic roadside assistance and home assistance within the UK, and the ability to tow my car to a prefered garage if the problem can't be fixed road side.

So it's fast approaching that time of year when i have to fork out a bunch of hard earned cash on insurance and breakdown cover. I've currently got my best quote through a broker, who I've been with for a very long time. They offer great service without me ever having to speak to the big insurance companies.

For the renewal quote they are going to charge me £65.00 for breakdown cover (managed to haggle a tenner off). Do you drivers out there buy breakdown with your insurance provider, or do you hunt out a cheaper deal else where? I don't need European cover, just basic roadside assistance and home assistance within the UK, and the ability to tow my car to a prefered garage if the problem can't be fixed road side.

I don't have breakdown insurance, but then I'm not into insurance. Three years with no breakdowns and you're in pocket for the cost of a breakdown truck.

I don't have breakdown insurance, but then I'm not into insurance. Three years with no breakdowns and you're in pocket for the cost of a breakdown truck.

I just bought a year's cover from Green Flag, my car is fairly old and quite complex (Rover 825), I bought the most basic cover at £30.74 and this will save me between £150 and £500 should I need to get towed off of a motorway- the Police and their "authorised breakdown service" operate a racket whereby you will be charged a fortune if you break down on a motorway, and will not permit you to arrange your own recovery.

I just bought a year's cover from Green Flag, my car is fairly old and quite complex (Rover 825), I bought the most basic cover at £30.74 and this will save me between £150 and £500 should I need to get towed off of a motorway- the Police and their "authorised breakdown service" operate a racket whereby you will be charged a fortune if you break down on a motorway, and will not permit you to arrange your own recovery.

Now that I didn't know, perhaps I'll think again, thanks.

In general I agree with the principle of not buying product insurance- why would I pay £7 to insure a £10 toaster? But motorway recovery is such a rip-off (minimum charge of £150, increasing sharply at night and weekends, my own garage charges £40 for a tow-in) that it becomes good value to pay £30 to insure against that possibility when you drive a 14-year-old car.

Check out the GreenInsuranceCompany, I've got some decent cover for about £35 (nice to see there was no hike after the first year).

I'm insured with Direct Line - never changed as they always give me the best deal. Though this year I REALLY had to haggle.........

I also independently went for Green Flag on a standard breakdown cover (most things but not recovery within 2 or 5 miles of home). Cheaper than getting it WITH Direct Line for some reason, even though they recommend them.

A lot of money... insurance ~ £500 (driving 3 years or so), road tax ~ £150, breakdown cover ~ £35 (guess), full service and MOT ~ £200... and that's just if nothing goes wrong!

Green flag use any local garage!

I prefer the AA. They have their own vans, and then they hand you on to the local garage!

Or for Protestants, there's the RAC! :huh:

So I've ended up getting the cheapest quote as part of an Admiral Multi-Car policy. I'm happy with the insurance renewal, but they want to charge me £72.00 for breakdown. All I need is home start, roadside assistance and the ability to take my car to a garage if it can't be fixed on the road. Any advice on who's best for what I need from breakdown cover?

I get mine "free" with my current account. It's with Smile and I pay £13 a month for the privilege.

I do also get worldwide travel insurance, interest and fee free overdraft, etc, etc.

I think First Direct have a similar deal but for less per month.

Break down recovery is a scam tbh, they will:

Leave you waiting for hours.

Often a subcontractor will turn up

Often said subcontractor will attempt to worm out of the contract.

All contracts have get out clauses which mean they can welch on their promises under any circumstances they deem to be fit.

I speak from bitter experience with fellow bikers and myself. Many fellow bikers have been left alone by the side of the road under feeble excuses such as your tyre is too worn, we don't fix bikes/cars of that type.

I recall 2007 when I had a puncture in Italy having bought some very expensive EU cover. They didn't even pick up the phone when I rang.... today I self repair everything!

First direct do it for free if you get their premium account (£12 a month).

Go to quidco.co.uk and check out the cash back offers and special deals, you can sometimes get AA cover for a tenner!

Some good answers but all wrong.

The answer you are looking for is 'Autoaid'

In a nutshell, you pay about £38 and this is equivalent to the top of the range cover from anyone else (eg £150-200). The snag (if you can call it that) is that you have to pay for the breakdown costs your self and then send in your receipts to cliam it back. It covers trailers, other peoples cars, passenges hotels etc etc. I dont find this a problem as I will always have a wallet with me and debit/credit cards.

Very good if you have a newish car that is unlikely to break down but you want the peace of mind. And are organised - see below

Caveat - just make sure you remmebr to send in your receipts! I lost and forgot a £50 (locked keys in boot) call out charge.

I run 4 vehicles, oldest is 1988, youngest is 2001. I've had a single breakdown incident and that was in 1998, requiring towing back to the dealer (new vehicle) and was covered by warranty.

So I'm of the opinion that you're better off paying for it when needed BUT I had not realised about the motorway tow scam - thanks for posting.

Buckers

I've been hit with the motorway towing fee once so can confirm it - I have fix or return to home cover from my bank account now. As it is a joint account it covers my wife's car too, so the bank account fee works out cheaper than the cover would, with the added advantage that I get 8% on savings.

Vehicle Rescue Direct - I chose them because they provide European cover cheaper. Beware they cover the vehicle only, not the person so if you are driving another vehicle you are not covered. Recent call out for a dead battery (I know I know) and the chap came in 20 minutes, probably just luck though. I used to be an RAC member (they cover the member rather than the vehicle). Edit - I think it is these guys, need to look at home to confirm.

Carole Nash for motorbike insurance, although more expensive, they come with automatic European breakdown cover. I have broken down in Europe before and the bike was taken to a local garage, confirmed unfixable (easily, anyway) and couriered to a UK location of my choice without any extra charge. Customer service, whilst Indian, was ok. I am a customer of theirs because of this positive experience and will pay more for the peace of mind. Also, they do good multi-bike cover... (must look on eBay for more cheap bikes). There are positive experiences out there with breakdown cover, they are not all scams.

Oh, and I got a rear flat on my bike whilst riding in Nevada, the guy did come out quickly but was given the wrong location reference (he saved gas by parking up and waiting for me to call to complain rather than search for me). I quickly learnt how to ration my meagre water supplies. Oh, and the highway cops really do have that modern cowboy swagger :lol:

I get mine "free" with my current account. It's with Smile and I pay £13 a month for the privilege.

I do also get worldwide travel insurance, interest and fee free overdraft, etc, etc.

£156 a year for breakdown cover and an annual travel insurance policy is not bad at all, unless the strings attached compromise the quality of either. I pay just under £300 for an annual policy that just covers the EU, US and Canada (and in transit between the two if caught in another country by force majeure): while that's costly, it includes airline bankruptcy cover and 'act of God' events. When I was stranded in the US by the ash cloud, they coughed up for all the costs I incurred (I'd bought the ticket directly from Delta's US website and paying in USD, hence the ticket was bought from a non-EU airline and thus they weren't obliged to put me up for the duration of the delay under EU rules) waiting the problem out in Portland and then getting home, which came to just over £1,100 in total, without any arguing. As I make 5-6 trips to the US a year, as far as I'm concerned it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Green flag use any local garage!

I prefer the AA. They have their own vans, and then they hand you on to the local garage!

Or for Protestants, there's the RAC! :huh:

After being subjected to the private equity spivs the AA are a shadow of their former self.

The AA (and RAC, I think) will no longer recover you if you've had an accident - according to someone I know who does work for all three Green Flag will still and offer the most comprehensive cover,

After being subjected to the private equity spivs the AA are a shadow of their former self.

The AA (and RAC, I think) will no longer recover you if you've had an accident - according to someone I know who does work for all three Green Flag will still and offer the most comprehensive cover,

Didn't see this insurance thread before I began my own.

Insurance in the UK is war - you have to constantly renegotiate policies, change providers, etc.

Libya has a green flag! :huh: