House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Ammanford Man Goes On Hunger Strike Claiming Bank 'tried To Crush' Him

AN Ammanford businessman has gone on hunger strike in protest against his bank which he feels has "tried to crush" him.

Alun Richards, 47, said he worked "his guts out" to build up a multi-million pound business at the Tycroes Business Park, near Ammanford.

However, he says he has been "ruined" after Lloyds TSB cut off his line of credit mid-way through the development.

He claimed his complaints were not being heard by the bank, particularly at a senior level.

Mr Richards said: "Lloyds seems to just fob me off at every turn. Meanwhile, my costs go up. It's like battling a giant, David versus Goliath!

"I only have one sling-shot left in my armoury and that is to go on hunger strike with my demand for a personal meeting with the Lloyds chief executive Antonio Horta- Osorio.

"I just cannot see any other way of resolving the matter."

He added: "I will be going on hunger strike.

"I will be taking water during the length of my hunger strike and I will be seeking medical advice at every turn.

"It seems like a dramatic step to take, but I cannot get Lloyds to sit down and take a reasonable approach to my complaint."

Mr Richards built up the business park after diversifying his family farm in 2000, which had been a milk producer since 1956.

The business park attracted high profile support from Prince Charles during his visit in 2009.

Farm buildings have been put to use and adapted for different firms and there is also catering on-site with a café and a restaurant.

Mr Richards added: "I think as long as the Lloyds big-wigs are collecting their fat cat bonuses businessmen like me will suffer. And this is happening even after taxpayers' funds were injected into the banking economy.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/bank-tried-crush/article-3355179-detail/article.html

Friend of mine started a business, put around £150K of his own money into it and arranged an overdraft of £10K for the bank for the first few months whilst his cashflow balance up (e.g. due to the bank keeping the VISA money for 30-60 days before he got it).

Within a few weeks of the business opening, the bank then pulled the overdraft.

Bstrds.

Lack of awareness, and social/cultural conditioning has us believe that the game is a good one. It's a shame most people find out it's not after a lifetime of futile work or when they find themselves on hunger strike or homeless.

Don't play the game until the rules change.

It sounds like he's one of these farmers who've diversified into the rentier class turning farm buildings into business units and letting them out.

I'm not really particularly fond of farmers who've diversified as they were given an unfair advantage of being nodded though planning and likely having inherited a freehold farm already.

If he needs some cash he could sell some of the units to the tenants.

Alun Richards, 47, said he worked "his guts out" to build up a multi-million pound business at the Tycroes Business Park, near Ammanford.

However, he says he has been "ruined" after Lloyds TSB cut off his line of credit mid-way through the development.

Advantage of being nodded through on planning? Some people don't feel like planning rules apply to themselves. Maybe the bank got spooked with this, which also reveals a certain attitude, if it's the same Alun Richards and business park.

£2,515 bill for breach of regs

5:30pm Saturday 13th November 2010

AN AMMANFORD businessman has been handed a £2,515 bill after he was found guilty by Carmarthen magistrates of building regulation offences.

Alun Richards, of Llety Newydd Farm, Tycroes, had first failed to notify Carmarthenshire Council planners that he intended to start work on a conference centre at Tycroes Business Park.

He then failed to comply with regulations by completing the works and allowing the centre to be used without giving notice to planners.

Richards had denied all three charges, which relate to a period between May and November of 2008, but was found guilty at Carmarthen magistrates court.

He must pay fines of £1,500, county council costs of £1,000 and a £15 victim surcharge

http://www.southwale...breach_of_regs/

Mark Twain once wrote: A banker is a fellow who lends his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.

Mark Twain once wrote: A banker is a fellow who lends his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.

Nothing wrong with wanting your umbrella back if the person you've lent it to isn't likely to return it, or is likely to damage it to the extent where it will be worth less as a bookable and trade-able asset.

Geoff Burch

People joke that a bank is a company that lends umbrellas when it's not raining. There is some truth, perhaps, in that, but to be fair, if it was my business to lend umbrellas I wouldn't lend one to a person running towards a high cliff to plunge off in flames. OK, it may slow the descent a little, but it only marginally delays the inevitable, and I would have lost my umbrella which is my business.

Advantage of being nodded through on planning? Some people don't feel like planning rules apply to themselves. Maybe the bank got spooked with this, which also reveals a certain attitude, if it's the same Alun Richards and business park.

http://www.southwale...breach_of_regs/

I was mainly referring to change of use planning whereby one of the previous (seemingly quite frequent times) farmers were moaning about struggling there was, I seem to recall, some central government diktat to go easy on change of use applications.

Frankly, I'm very uncertain of the demand for a conference centre in Ammanford - it's the ar5ehole of nowhere in Wales with naff all there and rubbish road links any sane business would book a conference at any number of places conveniently off the M4.