House Price Crash Forum
Unsafe As Houses

Universaity Of Essex To Join The 9K A Year Club

Heard today that the University of Essex plans to charge 9k a year university tuition fees from Sept 2012, thus joining the 9k a year club:

Oxford

Cambridge

Imperial College

Surrey

Exeter

As I stated in the earlier tuition fees thread (below) nearly all universities will charge 9k a year tuition fees. Giving our most educated people a debt of nearly 40k year + interest before they have even started on their careers can only put substantial downward pressure on house prices in the long-term.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=159628&hl=%20imperial%20%20college&st=60

Heard today that the University of Essex plans to charge 9k a year university tuition fees from Sept 2012, thus joining the 9k a year club:

Oxford

Cambridge

Imperial College

Surrey

Exeter

As I stated in the earlier tuition fees thread (below) nearly all universities will charge 9k a year tuition fees. Giving our most educated people a debt of nearly 40k year + interest before they have even started on their careers can only put substantial downward pressure on house prices in the long-term.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=159628&hl=%20imperial%20%20college&st=60

* Oxford University

* Cambridge University

* Imperial College

* London School of Economics

* Edinburgh University

* University College London

* St Andrews University

* Warwick University

* York University

* Bristol University

* Durham University

* Nottingham University

* Bath University

* Loughborough University

* SOAS

* Royal Holloway

* Manchester University

* King's College London

* Newcastle University

* Glasgow University

* Sheffield University

Don't see it on that list of the top 20...

Oxford

Cambridge

Imperial College

Surrey

Exeter

Yep, that well known centre of education excellence the "University" of Essex :lol:

This is precisely what is wrong with the higher education system. The solution was just so glaringly obvious: Cut number of universities by 100, the remainder can be subsidised and provide high quality courses in things which are useful (not Equine Physiotherapy or Fake Tan Studies with Nail Painting which I expect are on offer at Essex). The rest can then teach 1 or 2 years courses.

I'm not being funny, but I'd be pretty peed off paying 9k a year to go here and study say Law and come up against someone who has been to Warwick / LSE / York for a job. Jobs are scarce enough as it is and the first thing they look at is where you studied.

* Oxford University

* Cambridge University

* Imperial College

* London School of Economics

* Edinburgh University

* University College London

* St Andrews University

* Warwick University

* York University

* Bristol University

* Durham University

* Nottingham University

* Bath University

* Loughborough University

* SOAS

* Royal Holloway

* Manchester University

* King's College London

* Newcastle University

* Glasgow University

* Sheffield University

Don't see it on that list of the top 20...

The OP said it isn't officially announced yet.

Looks like most Universities will charge the max and face the Wrath of Clegg at a later date.

Yep, that well known centre of education excellence the "University" of Essex :lol:

This is precisely what is wrong with the higher education system. The solution was just so glaringly obvious: Cut number of universities by 100, the remainder can be subsidised and provide high quality courses in things which are useful (not Equine Physiotherapy or Fake Tan Studies with Nail Painting which I expect are on offer at Essex). The rest can then teach 1 or 2 years courses.

I'm not being funny, but I'd be pretty peed off paying 9k a year to go here and study say Law and come up against someone who has been to Warwick / LSE / York for a job. Jobs are scarce enough as it is and the first thing they look at is where you studied.

The problem with the Govt cutting out 100 Unis would be the reaction of the left. Nasty Torys cutting the future of the country, etc, etc,etc. Irrespective that a lot of the kids that went and studied fake tan courses were on the scrap heap from the first day of their course.

All these Unis including the ones offering fake tan course will try and charge 9K because they have been convinced by previous education policy that students that just attend Uni for the lifestyle are being educated and their "social skills" being improved makes them more employable. Well that is crap.

The knock on affect that high tuitions fees is that students want the best education for their money and a good job afterwards. This means they will be very concious of the choice they make and that choice includes do I even go to Uni and is the fake tan course worth xxx. The consequence being that a lot of unis will see a dramatic fall in the number of students applying (I would l think for the worst about an 80% fall). This means they either reduce fees dramtically or close or change the courses they offer to become more relevant and that may included changing to become technical colleges and offereing apprenticships. Either way the govt does not get the blame because they can just say "Not our fault the kids made a choice that the quality of the education offered at x and y uni was not worth 9K per year.

We get a better education system, less cost, the kids get more relevant courses and are not sold a pup by a govt deciding that 50% had to have a degree and any old degree at that.

Edited by ralphmalph

The OP said it isn't officially announced yet.

Looks like most Universities will charge the max and face the Wrath of Clegg at a later date.

Well, how can they possibly compete with Oxbridge if they don't charge the full 9k? Anything less would be an admission of their second rate under invested status. :rolleyes:

40k for a 3 year degree (at the very least!) plus the opportunity cost of 3 years wages. I'd have real trouble justifying most degrees at this price.

I'm so glad I was born in 1969. I feel sorry for my kids.

Here's the letter from the Uni of Essex vice-chancellor to me and other uni of Essex minions:

Dear Unsafe As Houses and other Uni of Essex minions

The University is today announcing its proposed tuition fee for UK and EU undergraduates for 2012 entry. This follows yesterday afternoon’s Finance and Strategy Committee, which approved our proposals on behalf of Council, the University’s governing body.

Our guiding principle in setting the fee is to concentrate on providing a high quality education and the best possible facilities for our students. It is proposed, subject to approval by the Office for Fair Access (OFFA), to charge £9,000 for all our undergraduate degrees.

Our Access Agreement, which will be submitted to OFFA in mid-April, will offer bursaries and scholarships to support the most able students and those from lower income backgrounds.

In addition to providing scholarships and bursaries, the Access Agreement will fund an expansion of our outreach work with a range of targeted activities for primary, secondary and college students and mature learners. It will also invest in initiatives to improve retention and increase employability.

The proposed fee and Access Agreement remain subject to approval by OFFA, which is expected to confirm all higher education institutions’ Home and EU undergraduate fees in July.

For further information, see the news release which will be on the University website shortly and http://www.essex.ac.uk/funding. Any press inquiries should be passed to the Communications Office (ext 2400), and any inquiries from prospective students/parents can be passed to the Marketing and Student Recruitment Office (ext 2800) or Undergraduate Admissions team.

With best wishes

Colin Riordan

Vice-Chancellor

Here's the letter from the Uni of Essex vice-chancellor to me and other uni of Essex minions:

The University is today announcing its proposed tuition fee for UK and EU undergraduates for 2012 entry. This follows yesterday afternoon’s Finance and Strategy Committee, which approved our proposals on behalf of Council, the University’s governing body.

Our guiding principle in setting the fee is to concentrate on providing a high quality education and the best possible facilities for our students. It is proposed, subject to approval by the Office for Fair Access (OFFA), to charge £9,000 for all our undergraduate degrees.

Our Access Agreement, which will be submitted to OFFA in mid-April, will offer bursaries and scholarships to support the most able students and those from lower income backgrounds.

In addition to providing scholarships and bursaries, the Access Agreement will fund an expansion of our outreach work with a range of targeted activities for primary, secondary and college students and mature learners. It will also invest in initiatives to improve retention and increase employability.

The proposed fee and Access Agreement remain subject to approval by OFFA, which is expected to confirm all higher education institutions’ Home and EU undergraduate fees in July.

For further information, see the news release which will be on the University website shortly and http://www.essex.ac.uk/funding. Any press inquiries should be passed to the Communications Office (ext 2400), and any inquiries from prospective students/parents can be passed to the Marketing and Student Recruitment Office (ext 2800) or Undergraduate Admissions team.

With best wishes

Colin Riordan

Vice-Chancellor

Who thinks Colin Riordan will be getting a pay rise?

On a sunny day in Plymouth last week, amongst the many dozens of "students" frolicking about the Hoe was one lass with "BA(Hons) Outdoor Adventure" written across her shirt.

Not sure whether it was a p!ss-take or not.

With best wishes

Colin Riordan

Vice-Chancellor

Isn't it the case that most Unis will charge the 9K not because they would be admitting second-ratedness (students know the respective merits of Institutions whatever the fees), but because their government grants for tuition costs have been slashed. To charge 7-8K would mean staffing or facilities would have to be cut to make up the difference. This impression that Unis are 'choosing' the level to set their fees is therefore surely illusory? Perhaps you have some insight as to what the 'breakeven' figures would be for Essex to be revenue-neutral compared to last year.

Oxford

Cambridge

Imperial College

Surrey

Exeter

New plan: All universities, education, housing, food, etc is free. Only catch is that everyone gets a £200k bill for being born. What's wrong with indentured servitude, anyway?

On a sunny day in Plymouth last week, amongst the many dozens of "students" frolicking about the Hoe was one lass with "BA(Hons) Outdoor Adventure" written across her shirt.

What were you lookin' at? :o

Not sure whether it was a p!ss-take or not.

Well, she got your attention!

T-shirts with logos advertising real universities are a tourist-thing. Guess that one could've been a sendup of the whole idea. OTOH, if she was a student at Plymouth ...

What were you lookin' at? :o

I was with my wife!

Well, she got your attention!

T-shirts with logos advertising real universities are a tourist-thing. Guess that one could've been a sendup of the whole idea. OTOH, if she was a student at Plymouth ...

I had to dig deeper - a p!ss-take it was not....

http://www.marjon.ac.uk/courses/courses/coursesearchbysubjectarea/sportoutdoorcoachingandpe/bahonsoutdooradventureeducation/

This one caught my eye as well:

http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/1645/BSc+%28Hons%29+Surf+Science+and+Technology

I too am glad that I was born in 1969.

New plan: All universities, education, housing, food, etc is free. Only catch is that everyone gets a £200k bill for being born. What's wrong with indentured servitude, anyway?

STOP GIVING THEM IDEAS! :ph34r:

With the cost of housing, education, and (more or less) fixed costs such as council tax, life is getting pretty close to indentured servitude for many. It is much more difficult to opt out these days than what it was even a couple of decades ago.

Edited by Tiger Woods?

Well, how can they possibly compete with Oxbridge if they don't charge the full 9k? Anything less would be an admission of their second rate under invested status. :rolleyes:

40k for a 3 year degree (at the very least!) plus the opportunity cost of 3 years wages. I'd have real trouble justifying most degrees at this price.

I'm so glad I was born in 1969. I feel sorry for my kids.

My thoughts exactly, I can see them all charging £9k a year because not too would infer they are inferior. However I'm better that we will see some Universities charge £9k a year but do deals to get it down, ie pay for 1 + 2 years and get the 3 year free or 75% off.

We've already got the ability to buy your education with Tesco points so there's plenty of room for the lesser institutions to match the price of the top but ultimately charge less.

I'm a mature student at Essex uni and it's not worth 3k for all three years put together, let alone 9k for each of them. The campus is very dated generally run down, the library is a chav free for all with noise levels approaching that of an air raid and on a recent course they had only two copies of the recommended text for a class with over 100 students. Marking of coursework is inconsistent with people getting different marks for giving the same answers.

Of course, the campus is loaded with posters stating the complete opposite. These posters always appear when the prospective new students are being shown around. Poor sods.

I'm a mature student at Essex uni and it's not worth 3k for all three years put together, let alone 9k for each of them. The campus is very dated generally run down, the library is a chav free for all with noise levels approaching that of an air raid and on a recent course they had only two copies of the recommended text for a class with over 100 students. Marking of coursework is inconsistent with people getting different marks for giving the same answers.

Of course, the campus is loaded with posters stating the complete opposite. These posters always appear when the prospective new students are being shown around. Poor sods.

indeed - these problems are no different from those at most other unis, Russell Group or otherwise.

My thoughts exactly, I can see them all charging £9k a year because not too would infer they are inferior. However I'm better that we will see some Universities charge £9k a year but do deals to get it down, ie pay for 1 + 2 years and get the 3 year free or 75% off.

We've already got the ability to buy your education with Tesco points so there's plenty of room for the lesser institutions to match the price of the top but ultimately charge less.

The point of 'inferiority' is a good one. But even more telling is that most unis can't afford not to charge this, as, with all the overheads, the average degree costs the uni more than 9k, and there is no way Vice Chancellors earning 300k are going to take a paycut.

The point of 'inferiority' is a good one. But even more telling is that most unis can't afford not to charge this, as, with all the overheads, the average degree costs the uni more than 9k, and there is no way Vice Chancellors earning 300k are going to take a paycut.

if they are charging higher rates why isnt the tax people pay reduced..

Ballooning costs won't be the fault of the £300k VC's they are too busy delivering a world beating service. It's hardly like they are too busy troughing to notice the business plan doesn't add up.

Agree that no VC would even think about taking a pay cut, if one starts they might all have to and what would that say about their valued contribution?

ooohhhh i bet they're all absolutely 5hitting themselves.