House Price Crash Forum
montesquieu

Overpriced House Just Gone 'poa'? Anyone Seen That Before?

Grossly overpriced house (started at £595k in Dec, gone to £575k then £550k last week) has just gone 'POA'.

Similar sized house with bigger garden and a swimming pool 30m away went has gone unsold since the summer at £450k. Only two sales in the area since 2002, both around £600k, both much larger places (granny flats, extra bedrooms, major extensions) though that is not necessarily apparent from the land registry records.

Seller is well-known in the area, fascinating mix of greed mingled with desperation and total detachment from reality. (It's been rented out for a while but was up for sale for two years between 2006 and 2008 at around the £600k mark).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32039222.html?premiumA=true

I've seen cars labelled POA before but not houses? A way of avoiding publicising a major price drop perhaps?

Grossly overpriced house (started at £595k in Dec, gone to £575k then £550k last week) has just gone 'POA'.

Similar sized house with bigger garden and a swimming pool 30m away went has gone unsold since the summer at £450k. Only two sales in the area since 2002, both around £600k, both much larger places (granny flats, extra bedrooms, major extensions) though that is not necessarily apparent from the land registry records.

Seller is well-known in the area, fascinating mix of greed mingled with desperation and total detachment from reality. (It's been rented out for a while but was up for sale for two years between 2006 and 2008 at around the £600k mark).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32039222.html?premiumA=true

I've seen cars labelled POA before but not houses? A way of avoiding publicising a major price drop perhaps?

I've never understood 'POA' - as if having to call the agent for the price is going to somehow temper the effect of finding out how absurdly over-valued it is.

Similarly, 'offers in excess...' means absolutely nothing - except to a nervy vendor convinced their property is 'worth' a certain amount 'and not a penny less.'

The buyer sets the price. End of.

I've never understood 'POA' - as if having to call the agent for the price is going to somehow temper the effect of finding out how absurdly over-valued it is.

+1

AFAIK, it used to be just one more smarmy way for EA's to treat a buyer like sh!t; as young Mr Muddle once put it to a friend "clearly I have to assess the viability of your - er - offer...." and it was usually used to condescendingly point out that "if you have to ask, then you clearly can't afford it..."

Or it was a way of preventing Hyancinth Bucket types, just being nosey about Mr Miggins' house next door.

But these days it's obviously a complete nonsense - all anyone with half a brain* has to do is to put in a postcode search in Rightmove, and the houses immediately above and below will tell you the price. If you make the "+ x miles" search high enough, in my experience you can narrow it down to the nearest fifty quid.

So, in summary; condescending, obstructive, and utterly pointless. So now we know why EA's like it.

:)

B

* Which is why EA's don't seem to have spotted it's a nonsense.... :lol:

We have a few like that in my search area but they always tend to be the houses over a million.. However the house 4 doors up from us went from 460K to POA after only a few days on the market..can't imagine why unless it's to try and hide the fact they're expecting someone to pay 60K more than they paid for it only 7 months ago. They've done nothing apart from installing a log burning stove. I was tempted to view it when it was for sale last year but thought it was overpriced then..

They certainly haven't reduced the price as on Rightmove it's listed between a house that's on at 455K and one at 465K so it's not that hard to guess the price.

But these days it's obviously a complete nonsense - all anyone with half a brain* has to do is to put in a postcode search in Rightmove, and the houses immediately above and below will tell you the price. If you make the "+ x miles" search high enough, in my experience you can narrow it down to the nearest fifty quid.

Bingo! It's now reduced to £500k (£500k houses above and below).

So indeed, a way of not owning up to the price fall.

Thanks for the tip!

For me POA brings back memories of menu items in a posh restaurant (like the Lobster). It sends a clear message: "If you have to ask the price, you cannot affort it." ;)

Totally escapes me how POA is helping a house sale.

I've never seen anything listed at POA (whether it be a car, house, dog, horse) and thought the price once revealed was reasonable.

POA = Price Over Ambitious

Edited by exiges

Bingo! It's now reduced to £500k (£500k houses above and below).

So indeed, a way of not owning up to the price fall.

Thanks for the tip!

Is it in an expensive area, because on the face of it, £500K for a outdated, bland brick box is about £250K too much. You'd think they could afford more than 7 pictures at that price point as well.

Is it in an expensive area, because on the face of it, £500K for a outdated, bland brick box is about £250K too much. You'd think they could afford more than 7 pictures at that price point as well.

The area is expensive, it's on the edge of Wokingham, which is silly expensive on average mainly because of good transport to London and Thames Valley) and lots of nice detached houses set amongst trees out towards Finchampstead.

Winnersh village itself though is a dump, there are two motorways (M4 and M239) in constant earshot, the railway is within 50m, it's on the Heathrow flightpath, and you are just a bit too close to Chav City 2 (aka Reading - Chav City 1 is Slough) for comfort. New 4-bed shoeboxes nearby seem to be making close to £400k though. :unsure:

Price on application.

But you don't need to do that really, just check the price before and the price after in the RM listing

and you will know the approximate asking price for the house.

POA = Proof of Age. smile.gif

Piss-Orf Applicants

Price Overly Aspirational

I thought it was a devious way EAs get your personal details on their records because they won't tell you the price without you divulging first

It was going on long ago! I remember selling a property in 2006 and asking the agent about it then. I was told, it gave the agent the luxury of testing high prices on enquirers. If no one wanted to see it when told the price, they reduced it a bit and tried again, whilst informing former enquirers that they are open to discussing any reasonable offer.

I told them I find it off putting and probably wouldn't ask about any POA property as I can't be bothered with it.

Phone the agent and say you are definitly interested and ask the price. Then when he says £500k sound a bit shocked then politely say no thanks and bid him goodbye.

One of the EA's in Exeter go one step further than POA and don't even show pictures in Rightmove. They call it The Confidential Property Register. Here's the blurb.

A discrete marketing service...

...designed exclusively for sellers who would rather keep their property matters private.

Giving you access to serious buyers who are ready, willing and able to perform - without letting everybody else know about it...

At Wilkinson Grant & Co we recognise that not everyone wants to let the “World and his Uncle” know that they may be thinking of selling. Often even committed sellers do not want details of their property for all to see on the Internet, advertised in the local press or have a ’For Sale’ board outside their property.

Exposing a property to the market is not always necessary and with some properties, not always the best way to get the best result. Over the years, many of our sales in the mid to upper sector of the market, occur without the property being formally marketed in the usual manner.

In no small part, this is this due to our unique ‘Special Buyer” service and the large database of serious buyers we have built- up as a result of our effective and far reaching advertising - which regularly attracts buyers to us before they even contact other agents. Our extensive database and sophisticated client/property matching software together with our close links with our associate offices in Park Lane, London mean that we can put you in touch with serious potential buyers in a completely confidential manner.

As with our vendors, we spend time getting to know those who are seriously looking for property and are in a position to buy – understanding their requirements and qualifying their ability to perform. This time, which we consider very well spent, allows us to immediately contact people who may be interested in your home and to alert new enquirers on a discrete basis.

We deal regularly with many clients who are close to the public eye, clients who are overseas and people from the upper echelons of both finance and industry. In addition, we are in regular close contact with other property professionals and search agents acting for both UK and international buyers.

Buyers

If you are a serious, committed buyer but cannot find a suitable property from our ‘open market’ register, contact us now to access our Confidential Property Register and ask for details of our Special Buyer Service.

For details of this discrete, bespoke and personal service, please call, email or visit your nearest Wilkinson Grant & Co office.

So, no price, no pictures, no address details, just a description.

It's all very hush-hush, buying a house through Wilkinson Grant, almost a shameful practice !

Shhhhhhhhhh ! loose lips sink houseprices.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32032265.html

7126_sou101131_IMG_00_0002_max_620x414.jpg

AKA bullsh1t

One of the EA's in Exeter go one step further than POA and don't even show pictures in Rightmove. They call it The Confidential Property Register. Here's the blurb.

It's all very hush-hush, buying a house through Wilkinson Grant, almost a shameful practice !

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32032265.html

7126_sou101131_IMG_00_0002_max_620x414.jpg

If they're after the discretion-seeking 'upper echelons' as clients, you'd think they might learn to spell 'discreet'.

Usual case of putting total faith in spell-checker.

BTW, top-end Savills often put POA for their multi-million properties.

How else do bankers buy their little houses? They don't have time to spare to view them so why bother showing them photos?