House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blackdug

Long Term Rent Glasgow

i have a friend who has been renting a house in glasgow for 9 years now ,,he has just been given notice to leave by the land ladys daughter after he dared to disagree with her,,,,sadly the man has taken it bad as the house is opposite his old mother and it was great for him to look after her....does anyone know if you have resided in a certain house for so long in scotland do you start to get greater tenant rights after a certain amount of years .......the reason i ask is i remember working in eastbourne years ago and the placed seemed to be full off "sitting tenents" who seemed to be bolted up in flats that landlords had to let to them cheaper because they had been there for so long ,,,,thanks

i have a friend who has been renting a house in glasgow for 9 years now ,,he has just been given notice to leave by the land ladys daughter after he dared to disagree with her,,,,sadly the man has taken it bad as the house is opposite his old mother and it was great for him to look after her....does anyone know if you have resided in a certain house for so long in scotland do you start to get greater tenant rights after a certain amount of years .......the reason i ask is i remember working in eastbourne years ago and the placed seemed to be full off "sitting tenents" who seemed to be bolted up in flats that landlords had to let to them cheaper because they had been there for so long ,,,,thanks

How long you have been in a property makes no difference, except to work out the state of the law at the time the tenancy started.

The only change in the law in Scotland that I can find was in 1988 so that is (probably) the law that applies.

A quick wizz through suggests that tenancies created under this act give tenants security of tenure unless they were created as a short assured tenancy, the latter requiring a specific form to have been given to the tenant at the start of the tenancy (and presumably the LL has to prove that they did this). Unlike in E&W I can't see anything that suggests that SATs roll over at end of term, so presumably they have to be specifically renewed?

Other than that the tenant can only be evicted for major breach or if the LL can prove that they need the property back for an allowed reason (and wanting to rent to someone else, isn't an allowed reason).

I would suggest a trip to the local CAB or council housing officer is in order to see if I am right.

(I got the info from here BTW: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/housing/leaflets/atsy-00.asp)

tim

How long you have been in a property makes no difference, except to work out the state of the law at the time the tenancy started.

The only change in the law in Scotland that I can find was in 1988 so that is (probably) the law that applies.

A quick wizz through suggests that tenancies created under this act give tenants security of tenure unless they were created as a short assured tenancy, the latter requiring a specific form to have been given to the tenant at the start of the tenancy (and presumably the LL has to prove that they did this). Unlike in E&W I can't see anything that suggests that SATs roll over at end of term, so presumably they have to be specifically renewed?

Other than that the tenant can only be evicted for major breach or if the LL can prove that they need the property back for an allowed reason (and wanting to rent to someone else, isn't an allowed reason).

I would suggest a trip to the local CAB or council housing officer is in order to see if I am right.

(I got the info from here BTW: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/housing/leaflets/atsy-00.asp)

tim