House Price Crash Forum
pablopatito

Cool Selling Technique

I found this interesting:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29354653.html

Normal house for sale, but the agent is claiming the following:

"THIS PROPERTY COMES WITH:- RE-DECORATION - NEW BATHROOM - NEW KITCHEN - NEW TILING - NEW CARPETS - NEW INTERNAL DOORS - NEW GCH BOILER. YOU CHOOSE THE RANGE, COLOURS & STYLES. ALL FITTED BEFORE YOU MOVE IN!"

I like the way the photos include before and after shots, which seem to imply that as well as adding a new bathroom and kitchen they will also the knock the house down and rebuild it with much bigger rooms. This is the first I've seen of this sales technique. How common is it?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for posting this, as the main forum no longer seems to discuss houses, its all economics, politics and war?

Incredible.

Do they do gardens too? Some nice pictures of the dales would look good, maybe a sea view - they supply the telescope or webcam.

I like the way the photos include before and after shots, which seem to imply that as well as adding a new bathroom and kitchen they will also the knock the house down and rebuild it with much bigger rooms.

All that for a fixed price? Sounds like a bargain.

This would be an interesting test for the Property Misdescriptions Act (1991). From the Act itself:

(5)For the purposes of this section—

(a)“false” means false to a material degree,

(b)a statement is misleading if (though not false) what a reasonable person may be expected to infer from it, or from any omission from it, is false,

©a statement may be made by pictures or any other method of signifying meaning as well as by words and, if made by words, may be made orally or in writing,

(d)a prescribed matter is any matter relating to land which is specified in an order made by the Secretary of State,

(e)a statement is made in the course of an estate agency business if (but only if) the making of the statement is a thing done as mentioned in subsection (1) of section 1 of the M1Estate Agents Act 1979 and that Act either applies to it or would apply to it but for subsection (2)(a) of that section (exception for things done in course of profession by practising solicitor or employee),

(f)a statement is made in the course of a property development business if (but only if) it is made—

(i)in the course of a business (including a business in which the person making the statement is employed) concerned wholly or substantially with the development of land, and

(ii)for the purpose of, or with a view to, disposing of an interest in land consisting of or including a building, or a part of a building, constructed or renovated in the course of the business, and

(g)“conveyancing services” means the preparation of any transfer, conveyance, writ, contract or other document in connection with the disposal or acquisition of an interest in land, and services ancillary to that, but does not include anything done as mentioned in section 1(1)(a) of the Estate Agents Act 1979.

I put the bold and underlining in.

excellent post.

anyone smell desparation?

the rooms would need doubling, especially the bathroom.

the buyer could definitely sue under Prop Misdescription Act AFTER purchase. This is car crash stuff. :(

Under the 1991 Act I think the issue would be about what the used photograps suggest (allow people to infer) in terms of the style, quality and size will be, in regard to the end result of the work carried out on the property, included as part of the price that you will be paying for the house/flat. Do the photographs misrepresent the style, quality and size of the end product that you will recive for your money?

Edited by Alfie Moon

For some perspective I guess we could consider the following:

What if an advert had across the top - Just £50 a bottle and below it had a picture of a full bottle of Bollinger Champagne.

Would the picture be misleading in terms of the quality and size if after you handed over your £50 to the sellers you received a half bottle of very cheap Cava from a local supermarket?