House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

British Holidays In Trouble

The sun's done it's holiday £9.50 twice now, the mirror I think has one as has the express.

Tons of ways of getting a cheap holiday in the uk or europe... Is this a sign that no one is booking?

Not what I've heard. A friend of mine works for a large provider of UK holidays and he says business is good at the moment.

Funnily enough, even with the discounts he and his colleagues can get for British holidays, most of them holiday abroad as it's still cheaper and the weather's better...

The sun's done it's holiday £9.50 twice now, the mirror I think has one as has the express.

Tons of ways of getting a cheap holiday in the uk or europe... Is this a sign that no one is booking?

Don't know, but should imagine travel agents are in any case praying for cold, wet May and June. Usually translates into rush of bookings for hols with reliable sun.

Or a sign of deflation taking hold in industries where staff are one of the big costs?

The last big holiday place we went to in Wales had all foriegn staff (non UK apart from one or two reception staff)

Costs I assume are already as low as they can go.

We were looking at staying in the UK this year to keep our holiday costs down. Wanted to go driving around Scotland and stay in a few B&Bs - but we reckon it would be the same, if more expensive than going abroad

We were looking at staying in the UK this year to keep our holiday costs down. Wanted to go driving around Scotland and stay in a few B&Bs - but we reckon it would be the same, if more expensive than going abroad

too true, and it's even more stark than that.

A trip to my folks place north of Inverness from our home near the south coast, plus a bit of sightseeing etc costs £200 in petrol alone. It all comes out of the tills of businesses up there, as we simply don't eat out/spend as much as we would otherwise.

too true, and it's even more stark than that.

A trip to my folks place north of Inverness from our home near the south coast, plus a bit of sightseeing etc costs £200 in petrol alone. It all comes out of the tills of businesses up there, as we simply don't eat out/spend as much as we would otherwise.

Driving/touring holidays are a thing of the past now with the price of fuel.

Anecdotal -

I took a taxi from Birmingham airport to my hotel which is about 30 miles away. Taxi fare was £26.

That's a round trip of £60 for the taxi driver, about an hour and a half of his time, fuel, road tax, private hire car insurance, wear&tear etc.

That taxi driver couldn't have been on much more than minimum wage.

I am still not convinced that domestic tourism is dead; on the contrary, I can see a revival, at least for well-located, decent-quality and fairly priced places.

Has anyone costed flights recently? (That is, flights at sensible times to sensible places on days when most holiday-makers are likely to travel).

We had a cheap holiday on a caravan park nr yarmouth a couple of years back - it was a total cr@phole. Bouncers on the clubhouse door because the local yobbery had been on thieving sprees, horrible food, and we felt out of place without tatoos, and cheap argos jewellry etc. We'd rather not go on holiday than return there.

Although we also went on hol to Tenerife the same and visited the Blackpool in the sun bit called Los Christianos, and that was infested with the same tatood topless chavs - although they were lobster pink didn't have their pit bull terriers with them this time.

One of the huge problems with UK holiday accom though is that lots of B&B and apartment proprieters 'own' their places with massive mortgages, and have to pass the cost onto holiday makers. I saw a 10 room B&B in Whitby for sale for £600k and wondered that if you had a 20% deposit and a commercial load to buy it, how many months would it have to be let just to cover the capital and interest payments on the loan, and how much does that add to UK holdaymakers costs.

I saw a 10 room B&B in Whitby for sale for £600k and wondered that if you had a 20% deposit and a commercial load to buy it, how many months would it have to be let just to cover the capital and interest payments on the loan, and how much does that add to UK holdaymakers costs.

This place was on Hotel Rescue, http://www.thereadingroomsmargate.co.uk/ they paid £330,000 for it and £140,000 for the renovation and it has three guest rooms.

I am still not convinced that domestic tourism is dead; on the contrary, I can see a revival, at least for well-located, decent-quality and fairly priced places.

Has anyone costed flights recently? (That is, flights at sensible times to sensible places on days when most holiday-makers are likely to travel).

We've booked two separate 1 week hols in the UK during the school summer hols. Nice flats/apartments with parking on the Yorkshire coast seem to be circa £550 for a week. So maybe £1k for the famliy for the week without having to scrimp to much.

In contrast, flights to Cyprus from the UK at Easter seem to come in at about £300-400 per head (kids don't get much of a discount when they need their own seat). It pays to stay longer when abroad so that the air fares are averaged lower over more days. (I await someone to tell me they can get a familiy of 4 to melbourne and back for £25.75 on ryanair though!).

Problem is it's in the school hols and everything is a lot dearer, but I reckon a week in the UK in the summer hols is about half the price of a good foreign hol. If you're prepared to leave it to the last minute, be fexible where you go, and are willing to take kids on hol in term time, then I'm sure you can do better, but if you have to plan in advance and are limited to school hols then the numbers above are what we've actually paid this year.

Don't know how long it will last?... not long I imagine as they price in future fuel prices two years in advance, but saw that a return flight to the south of Spain was £60, a weeks car hire £35 inc insurance plus fuel.....lots of choice re accommodation pay in euros on arrival.....when there is no way out, lower the price, a paid for room at cost price is better than an empty room.....there is always the bar and/or restaurant to help make the money up. ;)

Looked at flights to Berlin over the Easter/Wedding period recently. Fri-Mon, £250-£350. So not cheap, but I think the cost of accommodation & food would be cheaper once you're there? Compared to staying in London over a normal bank holiday (the wedding one will be a nightmare) it's probably evens.

We've booked two separate 1 week hols in the UK during the school summer hols. Nice flats/apartments with parking on the Yorkshire coast seem to be circa £550 for a week. So maybe £1k for the famliy for the week without having to scrimp to much.

In contrast, flights to Cyprus from the UK at Easter seem to come in at about £300-400 per head (kids don't get much of a discount when they need their own seat). It pays to stay longer when abroad so that the air fares are averaged lower over more days. (I await someone to tell me they can get a familiy of 4 to melbourne and back for £25.75 on ryanair though!).

Problem is it's in the school hols and everything is a lot dearer, but I reckon a week in the UK in the summer hols is about half the price of a good foreign hol. If you're prepared to leave it to the last minute, be fexible where you go, and are willing to take kids on hol in term time, then I'm sure you can do better, but if you have to plan in advance and are limited to school hols then the numbers above are what we've actually paid this year.

You can apply the same criteria to foreign hols though.

Check out SkyScanner and if you're flexible enough you can find dirt cheap flights from the regional airports. Google your hotel and book somewhere within an hour or so from the foreign airport. Might be a shithole or a building site but you can always hire a car and clear off for the day. Guaranteed sunshine as well. As long as you don't expect five star accommodation and have your wits about you (and keep control of your nippers so they don't fall down a hole or into an empty swimming pool) then you're quids in.

Same can be applied to anywhere in the UK. You get crap B&B accommodation with "strange" old men landlords that live on their own and haven't seen a woman since the last "guest" who's still hidden in the cupboard under the stairs.

And what do you do with a family of youngsters when it's pouring with rain and blowing a gale in the middle of august? Yeah, hire a car and do some touring with the heater on full paying £1.46 a litre for diesel.

I know where I'd rather be.

We're away in a fortnight - had looked at southern European options, flights (scheduled, at sensible times, Saturday-Saturday) were a minimum of £230 return each (I think Tenerife was over £400!), car hire with proper insurance was about £125 for the week. Yes, accommodation is reasonably priced, but that's a big change from the days of paying £49 return on BA to somewhere warm. Factor in the cost of travelling to and from the airport and/or parking and it all gets very pricey. Having worked in the travel industry in the past, I am sure we will look back at the period from about 1995 to about 2008 as being the golden age for affordable global travel. I can't see the kids' obligatory "gap" year being quite so obligatory from now on, bless 'em.

Ended up booking a ferry to Spain - still £500 return for car plus 2 - I had expected it to be half that. Suddenly a decent cabin in a quality park in Devon for 500 quid a week outside school holidays looks reasonable to me.

Got to watch the chav-factor mind......

We're away in a fortnight - had looked at southern European options, flights (scheduled, at sensible times, Saturday-Saturday) were a minimum of £230 return each (I think Tenerife was over £400!), car hire with proper insurance was about £125 for the week. Yes, accommodation is reasonably priced, but that's a big change from the days of paying £49 return on BA to somewhere warm. Factor in the cost of travelling to and from the airport and/or parking and it all gets very pricey. Having worked in the travel industry in the past, I am sure we will look back at the period from about 1995 to about 2008 as being the golden age for affordable global travel. I can't see the kids' obligatory "gap" year being quite so obligatory from now on, bless 'em.

Ended up booking a ferry to Spain - still £500 return for car plus 2 - I had expected it to be half that. Suddenly a decent cabin in a quality park in Devon for 500 quid a week outside school holidays looks reasonable to me.

Stayed at a reasonable campsite just outside Paris a few years ago....easy transport into the city and eurodisney ...the return fare Dover to Calais was not that extortionate...good holiday for kids, an all round mixture of educational, DIY and fun. ;)

Just looked on SkyScanner and found this straight away -

Luton to Murcia in southern Spain for £58 return with Ryanair.

flight.gif

post-13895-0-74527700-1300719859_thumb.gif

Edited by DustyDog

British holidays will be in trouble for the same reason foreign ones are now out of reach for the masses - affordability. My neighbour was complaining to me the other day about how his car insurance has gone up from £400 last year to £860 now and that was after he shopped around. He is forty, no change in circumstances and driving a 5 year old Renault Megane Estate, money for old rope with severe consequences to his discretionary spending power. My motorcycle insurance is up for renewal next week £80 last year see what happens!

Just looked on SkyScanner and found this straight away -

Luton to Murcia in southern Spain for £58 return with Ryanair.

Fair enough, but that's over 5 hours' drive to where we were looking to stay......Which would mean being unable to arrive on a Saturday, and so it goes on, hence my comment about flying from and into convenient airports, rather than regional airports desperate enough to pay Mr O'Leary to drop his cattle there.

I have quite a few holidays in th UK coming up. Things are cheap if you can get fit enough to handle a 70 mile cycle (or where ever you go too) to get to a camping music festival at a pub/venue. Then learn how to dance balswing thats me up till 3-5am. Then you'll be sorted!

I have quite a few weekender's where its a mix of beer festival and live music £10 to get in. Hats off to the pubs putting on 5 days of music for £40 quid 25 live bands, good beer and fresh pasta.

We should be going to Towersey folk festival hopefully for a week.

UK all the way for me! Although there is talk of France next year if my mates girlfriend can just handle a 60 mile tandem bike ride.

British holidays always end up being more expensive, partly because the weather is crap - especially in the West. All those things to keep kids amused when it's pissing down ain't chopped liver - museums, galleries, theme parks, 'shopping', spending all day in the pub at £3.50 a pint etc. Beach holidays are ultra cheap because you're not spending during the day, sunbathing and swimming is free! Even with the cost of flights it'll work out cheaper......and better.

Driving/touring holidays are a thing of the past now with the price of fuel.

Anecdotal -

I took a taxi from Birmingham airport to my hotel which is about 30 miles away. Taxi fare was £26.

That's a round trip of £60 for the taxi driver, about an hour and a half of his time, fuel, road tax, private hire car insurance, wear&tear etc.

That taxi driver couldn't have been on much more than minimum wage.

Many areas without good bus service have taxis subsidised by local council. They are not allowed to charge more than couple of quid a trip, some of them!

Saw this on Countryfile. :o