House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rockhopper

Midsomer – No Country For Young Men

About 30 seconds of background research went into that little piece I'd wager, most of it spelling.

Plus a lifetime of prejudice.

Brian True-May may have done a Ratner here.

If I had managed to produce a program set in England for the entirety of the last government without it degenerating into a multi-culti promotional vehicle, I would have kept quiet about it.

Brian True-May may have done a Ratner here.

If I had managed to produce a program set in England for the entirety of the last government without it degenerating into a multi-culti promotional vehicle, I would have kept quiet about it.

Don't they have a newsagent or a petrol station?

Jesus H christ. They probably get housing benefit. Maybe they got an inheritance, maybe it was passed down the family. WHO CARES? ITS TV. Last time i looked property was just as overpriced in the cities too. People cant live in Cambridge because its MORE expensive than the surrounding villages. Same probably goes for Oxford.

Hate to tell him theres no such thing as a flux capacitor either. Is he really paid to just point out all the mundane little inaccuracies? What a bore.

Just saw this article by Nick Cohen in the Grauniad

http://www.guardian....idsomer-murders

and it is quite interesting if you persist thru the bit about coloured folk in the countryside .

Cheers,

rockhopper

I've never watched it so I may be wide of the mark here. If it's a town (1000+ residents), then that bit about most likely having a Chinese or Indian takeaway staffed by Chinese or Indian people is right. If it's really a village though, then it's ********. Take a look at any small market town and, yes, there's visible minorities around (restaurants, market stalls etc) but once you're in real village territory, they're as rare as hens teeth. Eastern Europeans on the other hand....

It's certainly true you don't see many black or asian people in the countryside. Certainly under represented compared to national averages. When i used to live on boats i remember being astonished to see a black man on a canal boat. I do hope he didn't notice my astonishment but this is the catch 22, so few black and asian people go to the country i suspect they are met with reactions not witnessed in towns since the 70s. Any black/asian person want to comment on why don't you go to the country much?? Would be interesting to know.

What I find hilarious about this stupid old git's comments is that he states that to have any ethnic minority characters in the series would not be realistic given the low level of ethnic minority people living in the countryside.

Erm.....Hang on a minute......

Not realistic?!

So, to get this straight, this guy is quite happy to live with the fantasy that a fecking murder-a-minute takes place in sleepy Midsomer but finds it completely impossible to countenance the very idea of a black face in the town when, in reality, most small market-towns acrosss this country are likely to, at the very least, have a Chinese and/or Indian family running the local takaway.

Plain old-fashioned racism masquerading as artisitc integrity. He just doesn't like non-white people who do not conform to his idea of white Britishness.

If I was a thrusting young minority TV exec I would make a remake of the Royle Family using a minority family, watching things like Midsomer (and The Royle Family too, from memory?) with all the good humour, and never say a word about it. Message clear. We're all human. We all see each other.

the trouble is no one would watch it

this is fact by the way, its why there is none of it, no matter how much some left wing despot in the making would love another desmonds there just is underneath it all not an audience for it hence its commercial suicide. and cash and fame and success mean much more than ethnic diversity,

Soooooo .....

Given that we Brits all African in origin (via a nice middle eastern detour) and yet we are milky white....

And given that I can already see 2nd generation immigrants getting paler in the skin tone....

Is this not a situation where mother nature will over the next few 100 years bring us all back to milk bottle status anyway...???

A flash in the pan so to speak eh what?

What I find hilarious about this stupid old git's comments is that he states that to have any ethnic minority characters in the series would not be realistic given the low level of ethnic minority people living in the countryside.

Not realistic?!

So, to get this straight, this guy is quite happy to live with the fantasy that a fecking murder-a-minute takes place in sleepy Midsomer but finds it completely impossible to countenance the very idea of a black face in the town when, in reality, most small market-towns acrosss this country are likely to, at the very least, have a Chinese and/or Indian family running the local takaway.

Plain old-fashioned racism masquerading as artisitc integrity. He just doesn't like non-white people who do not conform to his idea of white Britishness.

So, because one bit is unrealistic (the plots) the rest should be? Realistic plots wouldn't make for a very interesting programme, because, funnily enough, most towns and villages don't have anything particularly interesting happening in them most of the time (thank goodness). Piling a load of people in who would look utterly out of place there makes about as much sense as giving half of them thick Glasweigian accents, or having to put up with that politically correct claptrap on TV that you can't have anyone smoking (unless they're about to die of lung cancer). Hell, why not throw in some little green men from Mars and the local Roman Legion too? I suppose you've got the same complaints about the racism inherent in Blackadder, for not showing any ethnic minority characters in 16th century England?

It's certainly true you don't see many black or asian people in the countryside. Certainly under represented compared to national averages. When i used to live on boats i remember being astonished to see a black man on a canal boat. I do hope he didn't notice my astonishment but this is the catch 22, so few black and asian people go to the country i suspect they are met with reactions not witnessed in towns since the 70s. Any black/asian person want to comment on why don't you go to the country much?? Would be interesting to know.

I don't think you have to be from a different culture to 'feel out of place' in some parts of the country, you can sometimes only have to move in from a few miles down or up the road.......in large towns you will have small communities within the town where similar people congregate, people generally like to live around people that are similar to themselves....they fear what is unknown/different to them, they fear change. ;)

I don't understand the outcry.

Was there an outcry about there being no white or Asian people in The Bill Cosby Show?

Also for a group that makes up less than 5% of the population gay people are vastly overrepresented on TV.

I just wish the BBC and these other PC clowns would stop making mountains out of molehills.

Not realistic?!

lol!

So, because one bit is unrealistic (the plots) the rest should be? Realistic plots wouldn't make for a very interesting programme, because, funnily enough, most towns and villages don't have anything particularly interesting happening in them most of the time (thank goodness). Piling a load of people in who would look utterly out of place there makes about as much sense as giving half of them thick Glasweigian accents, or having to put up with that politically correct claptrap on TV that you can't have anyone smoking (unless they're about to die of lung cancer). Hell, why not throw in some little green men from Mars and the local Roman Legion too? I suppose you've got the same complaints about the racism inherent in Blackadder, for not showing any ethnic minority characters in 16th century England?

Baldrick was definitely a special species all by himself.

The point is that there are definitely a few ethnic minorities in English villages these days, which is when Midsommer is set. However, there are none in the program.

Obviously, there were none in 16th century England (I think), so the analogy doesn't hold with Blackadder II.

Baldrick was definitely a special species all by himself.

The point is that there are definitely a few ethnic minorities in English villages these days, which is when Midsommer is set. However, there are none in the program.

Obviously, there were none in 16th century England (I think), so the analogy doesn't hold with Blackadder II.

Can't think of any in the village that my parents live in (there was someone working in the pub for a while but they've moved to a different village now). The other ones nearby are the same. It's not much different in town, particularly if you avoid the Chinese and Indian restaurants. The odds of picking a TV-cast sized random sample and getting someone non-white are pretty low.

Midsomer Murders is one of the most popular drama series on TV and is shown in over 200 countries around the world. So I guess not too many people are getting upset over this supposed racism.

I visit the country backroads quite often. I also visit drop zones frequently (which have to be rural) and its odd because everybody is kind of surprised to see me. First time I went to Cark I saw the guys in the pub (where I had lunch) startled by my entry into the pub.

The same thing happened at the drop zone too. It happens at my local drop zone every week even though I've been going there for a month...

I visit the country backroads quite often. I also visit drop zones frequently (which have to be rural) and its odd because everybody is kind of surprised to see me. First time I went to Cark I saw the guys in the pub (where I had lunch) startled by my entry into the pub.

The same thing happened at the drop zone too. It happens at my local drop zone every week even though I've been going there for a month...

different Chinese people look the same, but paradoxically you look like a different person each time?

Can't think of any in the village that my parents live in (there was someone working in the pub for a while but they've moved to a different village now). The other ones nearby are the same. It's not much different in town, particularly if you avoid the Chinese and Indian restaurants. The odds of picking a TV-cast sized random sample and getting someone non-white are pretty low.

low odds (Midsomer-like real villages) are not the same as no odds (16th century England) - why pretend that they are the same? (Not you, the program).

low odds (Midsomer-like real villages) are not the same as no odds (16th century England) - why pretend that they are the same? (Not you, the program).

Because it's not at all implausible that the odds are zero for any given village.

It's still low odds, rather than no odds.

A village with no non-white people living in it is entirely relistic. I know of non living in the village where my parents live, for example, and the same's true for others nearby (although admittedly I don't know those places as well). Therefore the odds of running into anyone non-white living there are zero right now. Of course it might change (as I said earlier, there used to be one person working in the pub, but she left after half the staff fell out with the landlord and set up elsewhere).

Numbers aren't evenly spread.