House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Mumsnet Credit Crunch Forum

I was doing a surf this morning to see what other forums are discussing with regards to house prices, the economy, jobs, etc - the whole nine yards.

I didn't bother going to the moneysavingexpertforum as nothing different seems to be said on there in terms of houses, finances, etc.

But I did not realise that mumsnet have a credit crunch forum. I found it fascinating reading the threads re the economy, buying and selling houses, mortgages, jobs, etc.

If you go to the general thread you can see for yourselves several house related threads.

Things are definitely getting worse.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch

It is almost a year since the Govt got elected and so little has been done to create jobs, rebalance the economy and do anything other than just focus on banking and banking bonuses. I fear, like HPCers waiting for a house price crash, another year will go by and the Govt will do little or nothing in generating jobs.

OMG Big hugs MWaahh, DH, OH etc etc. Can't read much of mumsnet without wanting to massacre a particular section of society :ph34r:

It is almost a year since the Govt got elected and so little has been done to create jobs, rebalance the economy and do anything other than just focus on banking and banking bonuses. I fear, like HPCers waiting for a house price crash, another year will go by and the Govt will do little or nothing in generating jobs.

Meh forget about it, life is short and just go live your life.... I would have today but its heavy rain at the DZ

Womens logic makes my head spin, the luvvies on that site show a particular type of pseudo intelligence that utterly fascinates me and depresses me at the same time.

Example.. One girl said how amazed she was that her shopping trolley totalled 200 quid in morrisons when usually that 'only happens to me' in waitrose. 'happens to me'. This is the problem.

Fascinating all the same.

Womens logic makes my head spin, the luvvies on that site show a particular type of pseudo intelligence that utterly fascinates me and depresses me at the same time.

Example.. One girl said how amazed she was that her shopping trolley totalled 200 quid in morrisons when usually that 'only happens to me' in waitrose. 'happens to me'. This is the problem.

Fascinating all the same.

£200!!! What are these people buying? No doubt, all brand name "treats", because they are worth it™.

Fascinating - like a car crash...

Agree - this is the problem.

OMG Big hugs MWaahh, DH, OH etc etc. Can't read much of mumsnet without wanting to massacre a particular section of society :ph34r:

Lol,

That's why I no longer use my Facebook account. It's actually feels like a mumsnet forum, except you have updates of life every five minutes and pictures of a sprog in their latest outfit.

Honestly, who cares?

How do you expect the government to create jobs and cut borrowing? Rebalancing the economy going as well as could be hoped for, trade deficit closing, manufacturing production on the rise, first PSBR surplus in two years?

Employment has already increased by 330k in 11 months (28.83 Million in May to 29.16 Million in March), despite the "economically inactive" now looking for work pushing the BS ILO figure to 8%, 10k reduction in the claimant count m/m. The ILO unemployment reports read like propaganda and those at the ONS responsible should be sacked.

What more could you possibly want?

What did you expect, Manufacturing to be 50% of the economy after 8 months?

Government seems hell bent on reducing house prices, extra building, converting commercial premises, recognising the "biggest bubble". Wait for interest rates to rise, prices will fall 50% in real terms over 5-10 years.

Government seems hell bent on reducing house prices, extra building, converting commercial premises, recognising the "biggest bubble". Wait for interest rates to rise, prices will fall 50% in real terms over 5-10 years.

IRs are not going to rise by any substantial amount for years. It is about time many on HPC got that int their heads.

Yes, there may be the odd 0.25% rise once or twice this year but it ain't going to bring house prices crashing down. If anything, you will just see sellers raise their asking prices.

I wish it were true but unfortunately the council deposit scheme, allowing the BoE to keep interest rates low and ignore inflation say otherwise.

No government can be seen to help house prices to drop without p*ssing off a large part of the electorate. That would involve manipulating a market and that's not the capitalist way, oh hang on.

They've figured out what most people here knew years ago , food is rocketing in price far higher than the official numbers.

Will they ever join the dots and work out the reason is because of printy printy?

I just checked some of the money-saving/cheap meals threads, as well as the 'should I buy a house?' qs.

All seemed pretty sensible, hardly a (((((hug))))) to be seen.

They've figured out what most people here knew years ago , food is rocketing in price far higher than the official numbers.

Will they ever join the dots and work out the reason is because of printy printy?

The real reason we are getting poorer isn't so much down to printing. IMO, we have a system in place that rewards fraud,benefit claiming and public sector employment, above productive private sector endeavour. Result, less to buy, and with just as much money chasing a shrinking output, prices rise.

The psyche of free money and entitlements is strong on mums net. I hope this site is the polar opposie.

The real reason we are getting poorer isn't so much down to printing. IMO, we have a system in place that rewards fraud,benefit claiming and public sector employment, above productive private sector endeavour. Result, less to buy, and with just as much money chasing a shrinking output, prices rise.

The psyche of free money and entitlements is strong on mums net. I hope this site is the polar opposie.

i like free money, the more the better, maybe i should switch, i wouldnt even need to change my name

£200!!! What are these people buying? No doubt, all brand name "treats", because they are worth it™.

Fascinating - like a car crash...

Agree - this is the problem.

Morrison have got Brains faggots on offer at £1 for a 6 pack I've bought 10 If I had got the freeze space I would have bought 200 like this thrifty woman has obviously done. :D

edit: just to say I don't understand how people complain about the price of food when feeding your self for around a £1 a day is quite possible.

I do feel sorry for them though , we are in for the mother of all financial collapses , i wouldn't be having any kids until i'm safe and secure on the other side of the coming catastrophe.

The collapse of the western debt system will be within the next 18 months.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/1169305-Get-on-property-ladder-now-or-wait

Ok, so me and DH are late 20's now. We live in a house provided by his work (very low rent). DH is planning on keeping this job long term, 10 - 15 years hopefully, and it seems secure for now.

We have £30,000 saved up at the moment and at the moment we're saving about £800/month.

I want to buy a house, but he doesn't. I thought we could buy a flat to rent out and get on the property ladder that way.

My other idea, which is what I really want to do, is to buy this farmhouse that I have seen for sale. It needs doing up inside, and I thought we could do that over a few years. When DH has left the job he's in now we can live there permanently.

F*ck me it's scary out there. With a complete absence of logic or understanding, this late 20s girl wants to take giant leveraged bet on the UK property market with hubby's entire life savings. And the place she's seeking advice is a forum that only exists to reinforce her groupthink.

Frightening.

I do feel sorry for them though , we are in for the mother of all financial collapses , i wouldn't be having any kids until i'm safe and secure on the other side of the coming catastrophe.

The collapse of the western debt system will be within the next 18 months.

as the world is meant to be ending in December next year that should make it pretty painless

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/1169305-Get-on-property-ladder-now-or-wait

F*ck me it's scary out there. With a complete absence of logic or understanding, this late 20s girl wants to take giant leveraged bet on the UK property market with hubby's entire life savings. And the place she's seeking advice is a forum that only exists to reinforce her groupthink.

Frightening.

.....meanwhile hpc'ers are busy over at mse and mumsnet having long and detailed debates about house prices and the economy to balance their own bearish groupthink?

yep, frightening indeed.

Well i don't see the world ending , just the currenct system we have now since it is so unsustainable.

I can see how this current system ending would feel like the end of the world for alot of poeple though.

i like free money, the more the better, maybe i should switch, i wouldnt even need to change my name

We all love to spend other people's money. If we all get to do it, then we have no incentive to produce stuff of value ourselves, and we don't. That is when the state default's, and suddenly those who are dependent upon entitlements are destitute. That moment approaches.

.....meanwhile hpc'ers are busy over at mse and mumsnet having long and detailed debates about house prices and the economy to balance their own bearish groupthink?

yep, frightening indeed.

:rolleyes:

Morrison have got Brains faggots on offer at £1 for a 6 pack I've bought 10 If I had got the freeze space I would have bought 200 like this thrifty woman has obviously done. :D

edit: just to say I don't understand how people complain about the price of food when feeding your self for around a £1 a day is quite possible.

Don't get it either. I feed my family for nothing out of the bins behind Netto. Sometimes I get chased away and then we eat nothing. :(

We all love to spend other people's money. If we all get to do it, then we have no incentive to produce stuff of value ourselves, and we don't. That is when the state default's, and suddenly those who are dependent upon entitlements are destitute. That moment approaches.

whats with all the doom mongering on this thread, chill out, relax, here have a {{{{hug}}}

Frightening.

What is scary , they live in a house provided by her husbands job at a cheap rent. They can save £800 pm and have £30k saved . If they bought somewhere now and rented it out when and if her husbands job finishes they can move there . It is quite a good prospect , yes there is some risk involved but there always is in life. I think she is far more sensible than some I have know over the years who had a cheap home via their job but did not use the money they were saving to obtain a house when the job finished and found themselves jobless and homeless ( pub landlord I worked for is one example ) .

:rolleyes:

I think that you missed my point in that conversing with groups that share the same view and seek affirmation is a human trait, "birds of a feather....". Cant really mock them when it is exactly what happens at hpc. What is frightening is the prospect that our little group is wrong, that the bearishness is self feeding and the group ignores the realities like low interest rates staying low etc etc