House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scrappycocco

How Can I Find Out About Flood Risk

Government websites appear vague on this, is there a place where I can get a clear answer in terms of the risk being low/medium/high by just entering a postcode? I used to have a £40 satnav that would give a land in relation to sea level figure, can't seem to get this with my google satnav.

Yes, the Environment Agency tells you about this on their web site.

On the other hand you could check whether you are up a hill or not!

The tops of hills do not usually flood!

I've just been through a similar check on a property and didn't proceed due to the risks that flagged up. These risks had shown a significant increase of flood risk since 2010 on this particular property due to new topographical data being recently added by the local Environment Agency. You can check here:

http://www.homecheck.co.uk/Welcome.do

The Flood Forum is a useful resource:

http://www.floodforum.org.uk/

You can also obtain National Flood Risk Assesment Data to individual property level from the Environment Agency

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/

They used to charge a fee of £25 per report, which includes map data and scaled risk assessment. Some good news - it's now free of charge, available on request and I managed to obtain a copy in under an hour by email from the local Environment Agency to the property. You insurer would also use the report to asses risk.

Good Luck

Get a quote for home insurance. That'll tell you the risk (but be sure to check flood damage and consequences are covered).

Unfortunately this is unlikely to be accurate enough. The database used by the insurer, assuming they're ABI members, will reflect the risk to the postcode unless there's a claim history. Postcodes often include more than one property and often with varying flood risk. The only surefire way of assessing the risk and having documentary evidence for a specific property is to request an IRR report from the Environment Agency.

Consider that this can seriously impact other matters relating to your prospective purchase. If the risk is anything other than 0.5% or less that 1 in 200 it will impact planning and any future development. This is likely to become more restrictive as flood risks worsen.