House Price Crash Forum
cool_hand

Online Poll: 26% Believe Interest Rates Should Be @ 0.5%

I just read this, from a link taken from the news box on the front page of HPC.

Research from Arbuthnot shows that the real UK base rates "should be" about 6pc, compared with a current level of around -4pc, based on their average level between 1993 and 2002 of 3.5 percentage points above RPI.

My link

I was having a it's not fair moment.

Research from Arbuthnot shows that the real UK base rates "should be" about 6pc, compared with a current level of around -4pc, based on their average level between 1993 and 2002 of 3.5 percentage points above RPI.

My link

Research from Arbuthnot shows they can take 2 completely arbitrary and meaningless dates and extrapolate from them, why didnt they take 1742 to 1751 , its about as relevant?

There's way to many options there it should have been more like >0.5%, 0.5%, 0.5 - 2, 2.25 - 4, etc. The Majority (71%) want higher rates according to that. It just doesn't look like it to due the many options

Edited by Pent Up

There's way to many options there it should have been more like >0.5%, 0.5%, 0.5 - 2, 2.25 - 4, etc. The Majority (71%) want higher rates according to that. It just doesn't look like it to due the many options

Yes, I was just going to post something similar ... ok 26% of the voters at MSE say they should be at 0.5% (but only because they are reliant on the low variable mortgage rate to survive) but an incredible 65% of the voters actually think they should be higher, over half of voters (59% nearly 6 in 10) think that they should be 1% OR MORE!

This is a terrible poll! It should be: What should happen to the base rate: Lower from 0.5%, :Leave at 0.5%. or :Raise from 0.5%. I think that would suggest an entirely different result, and a fairer result at that!

EDITED to show current results:

Q: How high should interest rates be?

0% 250 votes (5 %)

0.25% 214 votes (4 %)

0.5% (current rate) 1,302 votes (26 %)

0.75% 215 votes (4 %)

1.0% 629 votes (13 %)

1.25% 111 votes (2 %)

1.5% 271 votes (5 %)

1.75% 74 votes (1 %)

2 - 2.75% 485 votes (10 %)

3 - 3.75% 305 votes (6 %)

4 - 4.75% 296 votes (6 %)

5 – 5.75% 375 votes (8 %)

6 – 6.75% 53 votes (1 %)

7% or more 371 votes (7 %)

Edited by danlee74

Research from Arbuthnot shows they can take 2 completely arbitrary and meaningless dates and extrapolate from them, why didnt they take 1742 to 1751 , its about as relevant?

It still means though they have stopped targetting inflation and are now in bail out savers mode. Or do you think inflation will return to normal without the BofE doing something?

Yes, I was just going to post something similar ... ok 26% of the voters at MSE say they should be at 0.5% (but only because they are reliant on the low variable mortgage rate to survive) but an incredible 65% of the voters actually think they should be higher, over half of voters (59% nearly 6 in 10) think that they should be 1% OR MORE!

This is a terrible poll! It should be: What should happen to the base rate: Lower from 0.5%, :Leave at 0.5%. or :Raise from 0.5%. I think that would suggest an entirely different result, and a fairer result at that!

EDITED to show current results:

Q: How high should interest rates be?

0% 250 votes (5 %)

0.25% 214 votes (4 %)

0.5% (current rate) 1,302 votes (26 %)

0.75% 215 votes (4 %)

1.0% 629 votes (13 %)

1.25% 111 votes (2 %)

1.5% 271 votes (5 %)

1.75% 74 votes (1 %)

2 - 2.75% 485 votes (10 %)

3 - 3.75% 305 votes (6 %)

4 - 4.75% 296 votes (6 %)

5 – 5.75% 375 votes (8 %)

6 – 6.75% 53 votes (1 %)

7% or more 371 votes (7 %)

Mmm, might I suggest, somewhat cynically, based on greed or envy

3 bands there, based on greed....

1) Dont increase rates we are hanging on (or savinga packet) on our offset mortage

2) I'm on a fixed rate and everybody should be paying the 3-4% we are

3) I've got savings, whack up the interest rates as high as you can.

It's a poll to trawl how people feel about their finances ??

Edited by voidal

Reading the comments, most of the posters want a higher interest rate for their savings - but the single largest response is for interest rates to stay where they are. I think they want low rates for loans and high for deposits!

I know, I was amazed too - there are savers on MSE?!

My link

Those in control of monetary policy don't really give a damn about RPI/CPI or GDP much less some concept of the national welfare. Plenty of examples in which complete economic ruin and the starvation of millions has suited those in charge of the finances just fine.

As for the not fair comment consider that you weren't born in a favela in S America or some mud hut in the Congo.

just wondering where these fantastic 0.5% mortgages are for new purchases.

these fine rates seem to be reserved for savers only.

I am not up to the eyeballs in debt and have quite a decent chunk of money in savings but am very much enjoying paying peanuts on my mortgage. May rates stay low for a very long time.