House Price Crash Forum

Squatting To Be Made Illegal

HOLA441
The Justice Secretary is to make squatting illegal for the first time in England and Wales in a bid to end the menace of the home occupiers.

And those who still force their way in to empty properties will face a prison sentence.

The new law will end the “nightmare” of home owners having to fight lengthy legal battles in the courts in order to evict squatters.

Instead the police will be able to force entry and arrest anyone who has occupied a property...

A senior Whitehall source told The Daily Telegraph Mr Clarke has made changing the law a priority because he is sick of seeing cases of law-abiding people fighting to regain possession of their properties.

The source said: “Ken has had enough of seeing hard working home owners battle to squatters out...

Squatting is not currently a criminal offence in England and Wales and instead it is up to the owners to use the civil courts to enforce their rights, which can turn in to lengthy and expensive legal battles...

Linky

Apparently, over a million empty properties in the UK must be protected at all costs!

That said, I find it frustrating that squatters have more rights than renters in this country at the moment.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Linky

Apparently, over a million empty properties in the UK must be protected at all costs!

That said, I find it frustrating that squatters have more rights than renters in this country at the moment.

This is huge and simultaneously sad.

One of the last remaining ideas from the enlightenment overturned.

HOLA443
HOLA444

People over the age of 35 stop paying their mortgage, are squatting in the bank's house, government rushes to the rescue with wads of taxpayer cash.

People under the age of 35 with few housing/employment prospects, are squatting in somebody else's house, government rushes to the rescue with battering rams and handcuffs.

HOLA445
HOLA446

About time too. Affording rights to people who occupy a property above those of the rightful owner is and always has been ridiculous.

No, it really isn't.

By default people can go absolutely anywhere and everywhere - and this ability can only be restricted.

Like I said, another enlightenment idea dead. We haven't got many left.

HOLA447
HOLA448

People over the age of 35 stop paying their mortgage, are squatting in the bank's house, government rushes to the rescue with wads of taxpayer cash.

People under the age of 35 with few housing/employment prospects, are squatting in somebody else's house, government rushes to the rescue with battering rams and handcuffs.

Nicely summed up.

What made this law change then? Did some rich toff fall foul of squatters?

HOLA449

Well said that man!

HOLA4410

To own a property or a place to live, and to have it so that its only function is to stop other people living there and using it, is unconscionable.

It is like a child with a toy, who doesnt want it, but wont let their sibling play with it either. It is wrong for children and wrong for adults.

Use it or lose it. The law fully protects home owners who go on holiday for a time, no problem with that. If you leave a house empty though for a long period of time, and can afford to do so, I dont see a problem if squatters can get in, and eventually, gain title.

HOLA4411

No, it really isn't.

By default people can go absolutely anywhere and everywhere - and this ability can only be restricted.

Like I said, another enlightenment idea dead. We haven't got many left.

Do you apply this logic to occupied houses? You arrive home to find squatters, do you commend their enlightenment?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

How depressing.

Must stop people making use of empty space at all costs.

I don't think anyone has a problem with that, but you have to admit it must be a right pain to have to go through the civil courts to gain access to your own property.

It's the same as ever. A sensible law (squatters rights) is done away with because it is abused.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Yes, of course.

No one owes you anything.

So it shouldn't matter to you if this law is changed? Previously the owners had no rights over squatters and now squatters potentially have no rights over owners. If there was no law then how would matters be resolved?

HOLA4419

Friend of mine, after a year of fracking about in the courts, got judgement for £12000 plus costs.

the EA was ordered to return the 12 months up front payment they took even though no contract was signed...of course, my friend was a total tool for allowing this mess.

The EA produced forged signatured AST....yet still given 28 days to pay.

28 days was yesterday.

My friend cant beleive a judge can make an award and the people still dont pay.

Not sure why a squatter in a flat doing something they may have to do, is any more liable to prison than a debtor whole steals money and forges documents...

My point is, they are going to propose to change the whole Court and enforcement system to sort out a few squatters.

HOLA4420

So it shouldn't matter to you if this law is changed?

Did I say it did? I just noticed another enlightenment idea having nails shoved in it.

Previously the owners had no rights over squatters and now squatters potentially have no rights over owners. If there was no law then how would matters be resolved?

What matters?

There shouldn't be any such rights, full stop. However, a situation which reflects peoples inherent natural ability to go anywhere at any time they like is superior to one that assumes movement and location is to be granted by a fat jazz loving dickhead and his chums. :)

HOLA4421

About time too. Affording rights to people who occupy a property above those of the rightful owner is and always has been ridiculous.

Rights and responsibilities go hand in hand. What's ridiculous is demanding absolute, unassailable property rights without recognising a responsibility to provide all citizens with basic, decent accommodation.

HOLA4422

Did I say it did? I just noticed another enlightenment idea having nails shoved in it.

What matters?

There shouldn't be any such rights, full stop. However, a situation which reflects peoples inherent natural ability to go anywhere at any time they like is superior to one that assumes movement and location is to be granted by a fat jazz loving dickhead and his chums. :)

But no one owes you anything, including the ability to go anywhere at any time.

HOLA4423

But no one owes you anything, including the ability to go anywhere at any time.

No, the ability to go anywhere at anytime is in built - every single human being has at birth it and it can only be taken away.

Movement is not owed, nor can it be, any more than the ability to breathe, have a hertbeat or speak can be owed or granted.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

What matters?

You'd like to replace fat jazz lovers with albanian gangsters? There is no inherent natural ability to go anywhere in a world with other humans who might want to be where you want to be at the same time. Anarchy or modern democracy...the scum always rise to the top and make life miserable for everyone else.