House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shell

Japan Printed Over 27 Trillion Yen Over Past Week

I've already donated and, having friends and family in Japan, fully understand people's need to alleviate their feelings of helplessness by giving. But if Japan can simply print trillions (hundreds of billions in sterling and dollar terms) out of thin air, are our comparatively paltry donations a deluded, ineffectual joke? Given that money can't buy you love or protection against radiation, why can't Japan just print all the money it needs? Are our donations pointless?

Don't understand this strange new world we're living in!

I pretty much agree. Japan is a large country and can afford to deal with this issue in the long term. However, if you are donating to one of the charities that can supply help and personnel in the short term, then it is worth it. Japan is using its internal emergency forces to the limit. Throwing more money at it does create extra rescue and relief personnel.

Will the Japan disaster have the unintended consequence of ending their deflationary spiral and lost two decades. Is this the reset that Japan needs to rebalance its economy away from non risk savers into spending on the rebuilding of their country?

Will the Japan disaster have the unintended consequence of ending their deflationary spiral and lost two decades. Is this the reset that Japan needs to rebalance its economy away from non risk savers into spending on the rebuilding of their country?

no. destruction is destruction.

I pretty much agree. Japan is a large country and can afford to deal with this issue in the long term. However, if you are donating to one of the charities that can supply help and personnel in the short term, then it is worth it. Japan is using its internal emergency forces to the limit. Throwing more money at it does create extra rescue and relief personnel.

Thanks. I really need to try to understand this.

So are you saying that Japan can fund itself - but our donations are paying for emergency aid services because Japan hasn't got enough emergency services / people to cope with the problem in hand.

I guess logically Japan should offer to pay for these services but it would seem churlish to ask them to - even though they can print as much as they like?

Then our donations could go to poorer countries instead, perhaps those that can't / don't use printing money quite as effectively as richer countries?

Is there no definitive answer to this then? Has anyone spotted this issue in the news or anything?

Printing yen makes every existing yen worth less. So effectively the Japanese government is stealing a little bit of the value of every existing yen.

You can reduce the amount they need to steal by making a donation if you like, meaning that the cost is then borne a little by you and a little less by the yen-holders (mostly japanese people i guess)

I have always thought that if you print lots of money then the value of it lowers against other currencies.

If this is the case then why did the yen get even stronger against the pound after this was announced? going from like 134 to 127 to the pound.