House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Any Chefs, Sous Vide For Home Use

Ok, I've just seen Heston demonstrating the art of Sous Vide.

I have a good vacuum packer already, but can anyone recommend a good Sous Vide water oven?

I am not sure how much to spend, Amazon has a cheaper one for about £400 , but some of he semi professional ones are £900-£1700.

The more expensive ones may be bigger, but don't necessarily seem to have more function. At the end of the day the aim is to keep water a a constant temperature, so it doesn't seem that complex, but I'd like something that won't break or randomly burst into flames.

Ok, I've just seen Heston demonstrating the art of Sous Vide.

I have a good vacuum packer already, but can anyone recommend a good Sous Vide water oven?

I am not sure how much to spend, Amazon has a cheaper one for about £400 , but some of he semi professional ones are £900-£1700.

The more expensive ones may be bigger, but don't necessarily seem to have more function. At the end of the day the aim is to keep water a a constant temperature, so it doesn't seem that complex, but I'd like something that won't break or randomly burst into flames.

I remember looking at these a while back, and thought they were rather pricey for what they did, but eventually went out and got a "Grant" one and had no bother with it. Used loads of their stuff in my former life as a scientist so it was a make i trusted.

They have a list of distributors on their website if you want to shop around, think i paid about £500 for my 12L one. I use CCS for a lot of cooking stuff but they have no prices on their site.

The retort back will prob be watch some tv program and find out - I however have little time for tv... So simply please what is this all about with water ? A form of poaching food rather than steaming ?

its what a lot of people jokingly call boil in the bag food :) but its a bit more technical than that. Its simply vacuum packed food cooked in a water bath - what temp and how long depends on the meat or veg.

It can make meat appear as though uncooked but is actually cooked through, for example if you wanted a sirloin steak, you would chuck it in a pan with butter salt and pepper etc - however sous vide you would vac pack it and cook it in a waterbath for 45 mins @ 59.5oC so you end up with an entirely different texture and taste, things like pork belly can take 12-16 hours (higher temp, e.g. 82-85oC). The most intersting one ive done was "boiled eggs"

its what a lot of people jokingly call boil in the bag food :) but its a bit more technical than that. Its simply vacuum packed food cooked in a water bath - what temp and how long depends on the meat or veg.

It can make meat appear as though uncooked but is actually cooked through, for example if you wanted a sirloin steak, you would chuck it in a pan with butter salt and pepper etc - however sous vide you would vac pack it and cook it in a waterbath for 45 mins @ 59.5oC so you end up with an entirely different texture and taste, things like pork belly can take 12-16 hours (higher temp, e.g. 82-85oC). The most intersting one ive done was "boiled eggs"

like cooking sausages in the oven so they look cooked on top and uncooked the rest of the way around? I hate that.

Cant you just stick food in a thick sandwich bag and lob it in a slow cooker instead?

I remember looking at these a while back, and thought they were rather pricey for what they did, but eventually went out and got a "Grant" one and had no bother with it. Used loads of their stuff in my former life as a scientist so it was a make i trusted.

They have a list of distributors on their website if you want to shop around, think i paid about £500 for my 12L one. I use CCS for a lot of cooking stuff but they have no prices on their site.

Yes, actually the Grant systems do seem to have a certain beautiful simplicity, a bit like a high end stereo.

http://www.lava-vacuum-packing.com/grant.htm