House Price Crash Forum

Iii Are On Silver Now

HOLA441
HOLA442

Interesting, but

"Suki Cooper, metals analyst at Barclays Capital, warns that investors should be careful: "Silver's overall market balance remains in surplus, however retail investor appetite in the market remains very strong, driving the price higher. Should the retail interest start to slow, prices are likely to be subject to a sharp correction given its weak fundamentals.""

This is the third time I have seen a Barclays-employed individual bad-mouthing silver, saying it's about to fall. Almost everything she says is either rubbish or slanted; even her remark about "retail investor appetite driving the market higher" is not the whole story by a long way. I am unimpressed by her weak grasp of the subject. I can't be bothered to point out all the weaknesses in her comments; I just hope she has been misquoted. On all three occasions, the silver price carried on it's merry rise.

HOLA443

This is the third time I have seen a Barclays-employed individual bad-mouthing silver, saying it's about to fall. Almost everything she says is either rubbish or slanted; even her remark about "retail investor appetite driving the market higher" is not the whole story by a long way. I am unimpressed by her weak grasp of the subject. I can't be bothered to point out all the weaknesses in her comments; I just hope she has been misquoted. On all three occasions, the silver price carried on it's merry rise.

Retail investment in silver is tiny in relation to other "assets".

She talks with an assumed optimism (like all these people) that the worst of the financial crisis is over and that currencies are not going to fail. Of course, we know different. ;)

HOLA444

But surely the investor does not control the price, demand might push prices up, but it can soon be brought back down.

Why do people with long positions on gold have short posistions on silver, when the metal prices are increasing?

Is being short on silver some sort of hedge if the market drops as silver will drop faster if the gold price starts to fall?

Can the price of silver continue to increase if the gold market drops?

HOLA445

But surely the investor does not control the price, demand might push prices up, but it can soon be brought back down.

Why do people with long positions on gold have short posistions on silver, when the metal prices are increasing?

Is being short on silver some sort of hedge if the market drops as silver will drop faster if the gold price starts to fall?

Can the price of silver continue to increase if the gold market drops?

Demand is not linear but the fundamentals of silver are so strong that any suppression will not last long.

I do not know why anyone would have opposing positions on gold and silver unless there was a short-term trading position being taken, in this market.

Gold won't fall except in the very short term. Anyone taking short positions in metals at this time should be doing so through Goldmoney or similar accounts, Physical positions should be held in very strong hands for the foreseeable future.

I see no good reason to hedge production at the moment. We are in a serious long-term bull market. Silver, in particular, even looks as if the rate of increase is increasing.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Perhaps it's exponential? Maybe the dollar is losing 10% of its value (for example) each month, or half its value every several months?

I wouldn't be surprised. The US$ is a very weak currency and getting weaker. I haven't checked in detail or looked at any graphs, but the exchange rate is slipping in favour of the pound versus the US$.now that Brown has had his fat little hands prised off the national tiller.

And remember, that's Sterling, itself a currency as soft as dog-poo; I might get some Renminbi.

Oh wait, I've got some gold, so I don't need any fiat notes, no matter how good they are...

HOLA4410

I wouldn't be surprised. The US$ is a very weak currency and getting weaker. I haven't checked in detail or looked at any graphs, but the exchange rate is slipping in favour of the pound versus the US$.now that Brown has had his fat little hands prised off the national tiller.

And remember, that's Sterling, itself a currency as soft as dog-poo; I might get some Renminbi.

Oh wait, I've got some gold, so I don't need any fiat notes, no matter how good they are...

RMB are proxy US$ due to the pegging, so are HK$, Yen, Roubles, all sorts of currencies!

HOLA4411

I only check on my PM holdings every now and then... and am still amazed every time. Silver at $37!! Gosh I was waiting for the summer to top up the PMs, may have to do it earlier.

Edit: 1kg bars at nearly £1k !!!! Arrgh has fiat really fallen that much, or is there hysteria developing in the silver market? :huh:

Edited by Cash with Nowhere to Go

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I only check on my PM holdings every now and then... and am still amazed every time. Silver at $37!! Gosh I was waiting for the summer to top up the PMs, may have to do it earlier.

Edit: 1kg bars at nearly £1k !!!! Arrgh has fiat really fallen that much, or is there hysteria developing in the silver market? :huh:

Yep... two years ago you could buy them for 350 - 400 and that would include 5+ ounces for free :P

Incase you have been paying attention the silver market is on the brink of implosion I hear