House Price Crash Forum
sign_of_the_times

Time For A Clean-up Webmaster

time to weed out the wind-up merchants filling up the forum with pointless threads.(how we laughed.. at first....)

Can the webmaster not redtrict each IP address to one login only to counter our friends with multi-personalities ??

is this feasable / logical / ethical ??? :huh:

Unfortunately it's unworkable as not all net accounts have static IPs and some people use more than one location for login.

[Edit] Sorry, I may have got this backwards. However, non-static IPs are recycled by the ISPs so theoretically two different users could register seperate accounts with the same IP address.

Edited by HPCheese

Guest The_Oldie

Some of these jokers are well organised. They make sure that they post using different IPs for their various persona, often by using proxy IPs.

We mostly know who they are, but if we delete their registration, they will just re-register using a different proxy IP. Better the idiot you know than the idiot that you have yet to identify.

This is a somewhat controversial forum and is always going to attract a higher than normal number of trolls, VIs and other deliberately disruptive elements. However, as Webmaster has recently said in another thread “We don't want to censor the forum like channel 4 as it goes against our view of free speech but on the other hand we will not tolerate any posts which violate the forum rules as they are there for the good of all.”

Are you suggesting that each identity needs one house... that is a costly multiple personality disorder  :o

I remember hearing on a radio programme some 3/4 years ago that Barbara Striesand has 3 houses in Hollywood, on the same site.

Each different and she uses them according to her mood.

time to weed out the wind-up merchants filling up the forum with pointless threads.(how we laughed.. at first....)

Can the webmaster not redtrict each IP address to one login only to counter our friends with multi-personalities ??

is this feasable / logical / ethical ??? :huh:

Millions of AOL users access the web from only a couple of hundred IP addresses, the servers in AOL's megaproxy farm. Conversely, most home Internet connections get a new IP address every time they log in. It's not feasible to restrict anything by IP address.

The only real bulls left are slow witted and poorly informed. In this climate, an intelligent 'wind up' is more useful than an honest idiot. A contrarian view gives us an opportunity challenge and debate house price questions. Anyone who has visited the Singing Pig will realise how boring and stale the debate gets when a gaggle of half wits get together.

Guest magnoliawalls
The only real bulls left are slow witted and poorly informed. In this climate, an intelligent 'wind up' is more useful than an honest idiot. A contrarian view gives us an opportunity challenge and debate house price questions. Anyone who has visited the Singing Pig will realise how boring and stale the debate gets when a gaggle of half wits get together.

Agreed - I find some of the better troll wind ups just as funny when they are here as on Singing Pig or Channel 4.

I don't see a real problem unless the troll posts are really offensive or clogging up the forums.

Millions of AOL users access the web from only a couple of hundred IP addresses, the servers in AOL's megaproxy farm. Conversely, most home Internet connections get a new IP address every time they log in. It's not feasible to restrict anything by IP address.

That explains why I get banners flashing up saying things like, "girls in Slough want to sleep with you". I don't live anywhere near Slough thankfully.

Who are the offenders? I hope I'm not one of them....although I admit I am maybe a bit of a pain in the posterior.

Could you be more specific and out these offenders? Call me naive, but I have no idea who they are. :huh: