House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Loblaw

Bird Boy Of Sunderland

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1367206/The-real-life-Kes-Schoolboy-befriends-jackdaw-walks-school--inseparable.html

Parents and pupils at St Mary's RC Primary School in Sunderland complained of being tormented by this jackdaw when it first began appearing at the gates in early December.

It menaced pupils, divebombing children whenever they ventured outside the classroom. Children were so terrified that teachers shortened playtimes and kept them inside to prevent further attacks.

The council even gave the school a high-tech bird scaring device to try to drive it away.

But now, like a real life Kes, the bird has befriended one pupil who passes it on his way to school. Amazingly, the bird started landing on ten-year-old Emmanuel Adams' shoulder as he walked to class.

His feathered friend, who he has named Jack, has taken a shine to Emmanuel, who says the bird is 'not a bully'.

Just like the 1969 film Kes, where a Northern schoolboy tames and befriends a wild Kestrel, the bird and the boy have become firm friends.

And for the past few days the curious crow has even been living with the Adams family, alongside three dogs, four fish and Emmanuel's sisters, Rebecca, 16, Alexi, 11, and Androniki, nine.

Emmanuel's mother, Carolyn Adams, 46, a full-time mum, said: 'The bird took an instant liking to Emmanuel, he would approach him as he walked to school. He picked him out from the other schoolkids.

Comment:

I would very much like to comment on this story, but I feel unable to do so without first knowing how much the young man's parents' house is worth. Many thanks.

- Jez, Harrow, London, 17/3/2011 13:50

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1367206/The-real-life-Kes-Schoolboy-befriends-jackdaw-walks-school--inseparable.html

Comment:

I would very much like to comment on this story, but I feel unable to do so without first knowing how much the young man's parents' house is worth. Many thanks.

- Jez, Harrow, London, 17/3/2011 13:50

Ha ha, gave that a green arrow!

It's a jackdaw! Sorry, I'm a twitcher.

It's much smaller and with a sort of glassy eye ring.

Don't worry, I crack my knuckles.

It's a jackdaw! Sorry, I'm a twitcher.

It's much smaller and with a sort of glassy eye ring.

Twitcher! You might be interested to know I saw a dowitcher last week on Poole Harbour. Lots of long lenses watching it.

Twitcher! You might be interested to know I saw a dowitcher last week on Poole Harbour. Lots of long lenses watching it.

I also liked this reader's comment about the 'jackdaw' story...

:lol::lol::lol:

I wish the newspapers could be full with stories like this everyday instead of benefit scroungers and teenage murderers!!

- Kate, London

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1367206/The-real-life-Kes-Schoolboy-befriends-jackdaw-walks-school--inseparable.html#ixzz1Gt2KpJcc

LOL

excellent comment, gave it a thumbs up. I bet the paper don't understand it though.

EDIT: sorry I said 'paper' didn't I. Should have said rag.

I'd like to add that if any kids are reading this, if you are being bullied at school like Kes, the solution is not to train up a killer jackdaw to swoop down and destroy your enemies. You should go and tell a teacher, or a policeman.

Aren't jackdaws very intelligent? Or is that ravens? Either way I want one!!

Konrad Lorenz, the famous Austrian ethologist, had a similar relationship with a jackdaw iirc. They seem to regularly bond with humans. All corvids are very intelligent.

I knew the clever individual in the video below before she was famous, having picked her up from Heathrow.

Years of postgraduate and postdoctoral education and I end up being a chauffer for a bird more famous than I will ever be :(

What made me rather sad was the quote from the head teacher at the boy's school:

Headteacher Sean Brown, 55, said: 'The bird hasn't hurt or injured anybody, but it has unsettled some pupils.

'We have sometimes kept pupils in if we have seen the bird and, on a couple of occasions, shortened breaktimes.

Are people so out of touch with nature that a jackdaw requires everyone to be locked inside for their own safety? :blink:

Aren't jackdaws very intelligent? Or is that ravens? Either way I want one!!

All the birds from that family are very clever, Crows, ravens, jackdaws, magpies etc, and Magpies are able to mimick all types of sounds.

I hate the bit in that article that says they should try and catch th bird and put it in a sactuary, wtf? It's a wild bird ffs, is it a health and saftey risk or something?

Don't worry folks, this story has just been on the local news in my area (BBC Look North) and the lad has taken it home with him and it lives in a cage for the moment. The family have asked the RSPB what to do with it.